German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Prong Collar Problem (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/400106-prong-collar-problem.html)

Galathiel 01-22-2014 01:56 PM

Prong Collar Problem

When I took Varik back to training, a trainer recommended a prong collar for him (he was pretty excited to see all the dogs/people and was doing some lunging/tugging while we were standing). I have no problem with a prong, HOWEVER, the stupid thing (or stupid me, I'm okay with either) pops off quite often. As in 2-3 times during the hour long class. Reconnecting it, you can see that it's going to immediately slide back out. I don't know what the problem is and have no experience with prongs as he's the first dog I've had to use one with! It was put on prob mid-neck by the trainer, and later the next week, I removed a link and moved it up higher, hoping the sprung link was the problem. However, it's doing it again and he seems very bothered by it being even up that high (2-3 inches below his ears). He tilts his head to the side, wants to scratch at it and seems unhappy with it (except when he's busy ignoring me to watch the other dogs).

Anyone have any insights? This is a collar that was purchased at the training club so I'm not sure of the brand.

Kaimeju 01-22-2014 02:00 PM

Maybe try a different collar? That is what I would do. The two prong collars that I have are difficult to get on and off without a lot of squeezing. The links shouldn't be sliding around.

Athena'sMom 01-22-2014 02:07 PM

Herm Sprenger prong collars are the best. I have never had it come off my girl. I purchased a petsmart prong collar and was constantly coming apart. Also avoid quick release prong collar. good luck!

GSKnight 01-22-2014 02:07 PM

2 words... Herm Sprenger. They are the best. (just google the name)

jocoyn 01-22-2014 02:08 PM

It is true. And they are much easier to put on. Don't bother with the quick release. Fitting the prongs in the metal plate is easy and I have never had that style pop off.

HarleyTheGSD 01-22-2014 02:10 PM

The collar may be too big. A prong collar is not meant to hang loosely from the neck.
Here is an example:
http://www.schutzhund-training.com/images/p5.jpg

Liesje 01-22-2014 02:20 PM

My guess is it's too big. I've had two prong collars come off dogs and both were Herm Sprenger collars (both properly fitted). I also have an HS with a quick release and I've never had the quick release fail, but it's kind of a pain and just makes putting the collar on even more complicated despite the "quick release" (almost impossible to do with gloves on). The pet store brand prong collars I have actually "pinch" tighter, it's harder to get them on/off so they don't pop apart.

LuvMyDog_Worldwide 01-22-2014 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Liesje (Post 4884226)
MyThe pet store brand prong collars I have actually "pinch" tighter, it's harder to get them on/off so they don't pop apart.

Brittle metal with no spring in it doesn't stop the collars coming apart, the big wire loops at the side are the weak point and where these cheap collars pop open on a very regular basis. The brittle metal causes them to just snap too, your 'pet store' brand collars are not worth a recommendation, that's what the OP has and that's what he's having a problem with.

Do you check and maintain your HS collars?

If the links seem a little loose, just unclip it, put your thumbs between the prongs and pull them apart a little more, that's all there is to it.

It amazes me how few people properly maintain their equipment and can't understand why it's going wrong. I've never had a collar come apart, ever. I've had loose links, and sorted them out, problem solved before there was ever a problem.

Galathiel 01-22-2014 02:56 PM

I had read that it might be due to its being too loose so I removed a link and it's a bit of a squeeze (literally) putting it on, even though I put it higher on his neck than it was previously. However, it does seem to bother him a lot more as I mentioned in my OP. It's not even directly behind his ears and still seems to realllly bother him.

LuvMyDog_Worldwide 01-22-2014 03:04 PM

Look at the ends of the prongs, chances are they're flat and have been chisel cut with burs on the edges...... that tends to be more bothering than how high up the collar is.

However, same as previous posters have mentioned, buy a decent collar. It won't fall apart and you won't have to size it so tight to try and keep it together. There are plenty of online stores in the USA selling Sprenger at reasonable prices. It's an investment in your dogs safety and well being.