German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Please help.. Muzzle questions... (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/398665-please-help-muzzle-questions.html)

lennyb 01-19-2014 10:38 PM

Please help.. Muzzle questions...

1 Attachment(s)
I need to get a muzzle for my boy. He's 1 1/2 years old and 88 lbs. I need one for trips to vet, groomers, or just the random I need one moments. He's never bitten anyone but does make certain people nervous. I would like one that is comfortable, and roomy enough for him to drink, pant etc with it on. The problem is there are so many out there and honestly I don't know crap about them.

Mary Beth 01-19-2014 10:50 PM

I have never used one, but here is a thread http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...nd-muzzle.html If you page down thru the posts - there will be a picture.

Chip18 01-19-2014 11:13 PM

I used a fabric muzzle on Rocky, if your training the dog and just want a muzzle as back up it's fine. Rocky never bit anyone either but he was leery around strangers. I used it until he was comfortable with people and the first time or two to the vet.

It's not a "real" muzzle and the dog can work it off if given the chance but it sounds like it's what you need for now,

jocoyn 01-19-2014 11:46 PM

I like this muzzle - it is not one I would use on a wildly aggressive dog but I keep them around for if I need it. I did have to punch another hole in the strap. It seems to be comfortable for long wear and reasonably durable. EDIT, the size is off. You measure for the size; mine is a 9.

Italian Basket Dog Muzzle Size 6

lennyb 01-19-2014 11:55 PM

I would just feel better using one as needed. Diago is kinda weary around people he dont know and other dogs. He will get vocal and rarely tufts but Once he knows you he's just a big teddy bear. Unfortunately people around here are not exactly social or community oriented and he's had four occurrences last summer of dogs charging him out of no where (they just came flying out of their yards while we were walking). So he's only some what socialized but I'm trying g to work with him on these issues.

Chip18 01-20-2014 12:10 AM

OK dogs charging him is not where you want a muzzle on your dog! A dogs first line of defense is you! Carry a big stick and use it if you have too or bear spray or mace!

If your dog gets attacked out in the field do you want him wearing a muzzle? That's a whole different story!

Chip18 01-20-2014 12:17 AM

The woofing and the leery are cause he's fearful, Just let him be around people without engaging "No you can't pet my dog, he's in training" while you step between your dog and people. Dogs don't need to sniff each other on walks, no engagement after awhile he see dogs and other people as no big deal.

Then he can become the calm, I could careless about strangers and other dogs kinda dog he was meant to be! :)

David Winners 01-20-2014 12:25 AM

I like Jafco muzzles.

David Taggart 01-20-2014 02:29 AM

Quote:

I would like one that is comfortable, and roomy enough for him to drink, pant etc with it on.
I use only this one for everything including bite prevention, it is adjustable under the chin, your dog can even play ball in it, it looks great on the dog and doesn't frighten people, it is a very high quality and will serve you for years Royal Soft Nappa Adjustable Anti-Barking Leather Dog Muzzle [M63##1073 Nappa Padded Muzzle] - $79.00 : Dog harness , Dog collar , Dog leash , Dog muzzle - Dog training equipment from Trusted Direct Source - Home, Dog Supplies
When I lost one, I bought another one the same. Though I cut off the strap above and the side ones, just leaving decorative studs, you don't need them - the stap around the back is plenty enough. I often use public transport, we work in busy areas and having the muzzle on is necessary.

harmony 01-20-2014 05:34 AM

comfort or look. A wire cage will give them some freedom but the looks could be scary to people. then you have the kind that fits their muzzle but no freedom there. It depends what you are looking for and your dog.