German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Does anyone use dog puzzle toys? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/396905-does-anyone-use-dog-puzzle-toys.html)

Bequavious 01-16-2014 10:03 AM

Does anyone use dog puzzle toys?

You know the ones where you have to spin things and open doors to get food out? They look cool in theory, but I wasn't sure if they were sturdy enough for large breed dogs and if I would have to separate the dogs while playing with one. Anyone have any experience with them?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Okin 01-16-2014 10:07 AM

I used one that you put a ball in and it can only come out one way. It was fun the first time but after she learned how it only takes her a few seconds to get it out now. She does love the box though it is one of her favorite toys.

Msmaria 01-16-2014 12:32 PM

I've tried a few. These dogs learn them really fast. Our favorite is the one where you can put their kibble in and they have to roll and knock it around to have kibble come through the hole. We still use that one every day

LaRen616 01-16-2014 12:40 PM

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...g-puzzles.html

I started a thread about them a long time ago. :)

I ended up buying 2 of them, Sinister wasn't that into them, I might try them out with Draco though.

Cheyanna 01-16-2014 12:41 PM

I bought Fiona several of the wooden puzzles where she had to move pieces to get to the treat. She solved both in 2 minutes and then started chewing on the puzzle. She likes getting the treats, but it not hours of fun for your dog like the box says. GSDs are just too smart.

She also has a rubber ball that she knocks around to get the kibble out. We don't let the 2 dogs play together with the ball.

Shaolin 01-16-2014 11:49 PM

I'm not personally a fan of them. They are way too easy for Finn to figure out; for the first five minutes they are great, but after the second or third time, he gets bored. I got this barbell looking thing that he has to roll or drop to get treats out of. While he knows if he picks it up, tosses it up, then drops it, because the treats don't always fall out, he gets way more enjoyment out of it.

It's a Kong Heavy Duty, or whatever the toughest one is. Even with his power jaws, he hasn't made a dent in it. Best 10$ I've ever spent.

llombardo 01-17-2014 02:03 AM

I got three of them made by Nina Ottosson. They are different levels and the dogs love them .

Bequavious 01-21-2014 09:20 AM

Ok thanks! Yeah we have a kong wobbler that they love, but now that the little one is all grown up they can't play with it together :( Of course they're pretty good about leaving each other's stuff alone, so maybe I could just get a second one that they could play with at the same time?

blackshep 01-21-2014 09:46 AM

I tried but my dog got so incensed with it, she was throwing it all around the room and the ends (they are removable to make the game harder or easier) kept popping off. It is not a GSD proof toy! LOL!

Corvus Laeus 01-21-2014 02:20 PM

I got my 3 month old this treat dispenser. I crunch up a dry biscuit and stuff it in the middle in pieces just BARELY big enough to come out at the right angle. He loves shoving it around and getting rewarded sporatically. Keeps him busy for a little while, and I have dental chews on either end he is sometimes interested in.

Starmark™ Everlasting Dog Treat Fireplug

I'm also signed up to support a new puzzle feeder that I think he will LOVE. Called the Foobler :) Check it out. I feed Tiberius RAW, so will probably be putting little bits of semi-frozen liver or sardine chunks instead of kibble. I think he will enjoy it.

Foobler: A Smarter Puzzle Feeder for Your Dog by Foobler ? Kickstarter