Recommendations for dog ramp for van - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-13-2014, 06:55 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Recommendations for dog ramp for van

Ok, now that I've figured out how to secure the dog crate(s) in the van, I'm looking into getting a dog ramp to help the dog(s) entering and exiting. . Anyone have any recommendations experiences to share? Things to look for and/or beware of?
graciesmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2014, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Instead of a ramp, I really like the Pet Loader Stairs -- they fold up into a little cube that stores easily, and they seemed more stable to me than some of the ramps we'd seen. They are very easily navigated -- my senior and blind dog both could use them. Here's the link:

Dog Steps, Dog Stairs, Dog Ramps from Pet Loader
Magwart is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Instead of a ramp, I really like the Pet Loader Stairs -- they fold up into a little cube that stores easily, and they seemed more stable to me than some of the ramps we'd seen. They are very easily navigated -- my senior and blind dog both could use them. Here's the link:

Dog Steps, Dog Stairs, Dog Ramps from Pet Loader
That's cool, lifting ranger in and out of vehicles is difficult (surgery) & kills my wife's shoulder when she has to do it. We might have to look into this and teach all 3 to use it, they can be reckless during load up.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 07:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

We've had two kinds.

This one is my favorite b/c it is small, light weight, fits into the hitch and you just put the step in and then pull the step out: Dog step - The travel-easy Otto Step dog step prevents injury to your dog getting in or out of a van, station wagon, truck, or SUV!

This is another small one that is attached to the car and twists under it (my friend has one): Dog Car Step / TwiStep® Vehicle Step -- Orvis

The other one we had was heavy and took up a lot of room in the back of my suv (even though it folded in half), but, it did extend down to the ground: http://www.wag.com/dog/p/petstep-folding-pet-ramp-102775?site=CA&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc_W& utm_term=PSI-002&utm_campaign=GooglePLA&CAWELAID=1323844182&utm _content=pla&ca_sku=PSI-002&ca_gpa=pla&ca_kw={keyword}

Moms
Momto2GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2014, 10:00 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

A teammate has the petloader and he likes it, I have a solvit telescoping ramp and I like it but I have a truck. The otto thing looks good for an SUV or a truck with no tailgate. I have seen the twistep and it works well too.

http://www.chewy.com/dog/solvit-delu...-ramp/dp/53677

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 PM   #6 (permalink)

I've had the Pet Gear Full Length Tri-Fold ramp for a couple of years now. Works for my 90 lb GSD and it works for me. I did modify it by gluing indoor/outdoor carpet on the sections since Traveler kept slipping off the other surface which was like shingle material or something. I drive a crossover SUV.

I like the trifold for ease in opening and collapsing and it doesn't take up all my cargo space. Because it's light, it does bow when he bounces full weight on it and that made me nervous but years later and it's still in prime shape. We use it on average 6 times per day, 4 days per week.

It's about half the cost of the other options.

There is a wider version available but I thought that was overkill.
Traveler's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 08:09 PM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

When I owned my 14 year old oversized male (I couldn't lift him entirely no matter how hard I tried... We weighed exactly the same), and his arthritis was becoming his master, we were living in hotels for work, so he *had* to remain a road warrior. Well... I tried virtually every ramp available... And that was just to get him into the backseat floor of the cab, not even the pickup bed. He was just too old and lame (and was blind in his right eye), so he never trusted any of the ramps. In the end, I settled on pulling my suitcase out, turned it lengthwise and with one end tucked under the truck, so he didn't see a huge gap there, and let him use it as a giant step up, and with sometimes a little lift from me, problem was solved. And several hundred $ worth of useless ramps returned

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Jack - male GSD b. 8/9/10
Lillian - female Weimaraner b. ~2005
RIP Mattie - female GSD 10/18/02 - 7/24/2013
JackandMattie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-15-2014, 09:58 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

my DogRamp (www.dogramp.com) is something around 10 years old. Love it.
middleofnowhere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.