German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Wire or plastic crate? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/395282-wire-plastic-crate.html)

Coraliine 01-13-2014 05:43 AM

Wire or plastic crate?

Hello! I picked up my wonderful new pup Juice (8 weeks) on Saturday and the breeder gave us a temporary puppy crate. It's the perfect size for him now, but in a few weeks he'll definitely have outgrown it.

One of the breeders we visited on our search for our little hairy terror told us to never use wire crates, as she's seen so many teeth ripped out or chipped from pups gnawing on the bars.

The breeder we ended up going with, however, loves wire crates because they're easier to clean/store and in our country we don't have AC and it allows better air flow, and the pups can see you better.

I've always used wire with my previous dogs, but the first breeder made me second guess myself.

I was just wondering what other people suggested. I searched around and it seems like wire is pretty safe. My bf's father can weld more bars to the crate to limit the ability for the dog to actually get his mouth around any bars as well.

jocoyn 01-13-2014 06:04 AM

I switched over to plastic crates last year. Too many trapped paws and other accidents in wire for me to be comfortable with them anymore.

It is true I am not as happy with airflow in a plastic crate but for my truck I use a welded aluminum crate which is quite cool and very sturdy.

Sp00ks 01-13-2014 06:06 AM

I know people that use either successfully. Personally, I don't care for the wire crates. I think it's personal preference really. I'm curious what others say.

halo2013 01-13-2014 07:42 AM

I use plastic. In my opinion They're sturdier

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

misslesleedavis1 01-13-2014 08:33 AM

I have both, I dont use them unless im crating a foster or washing my floors, I think either is okay..I like the way the plastic one looks better though, it hunter green, my wire one could house a great dane and its ugly.

Shade 01-13-2014 08:42 AM

I prefer wire crates personally :)

jocoyn 01-13-2014 08:45 AM

I wish the old drop pin style was easier to find - same with the original 1x1 wire design. The issue I have with wire crates is around the floor - big openings. That and the collapse / gap issue which can be solved with the use of zip ties. I have also caught my fingers folding a crate. OW I would have been in real trouble had not a second person been in the room so now I am very careful.

halo2013 01-13-2014 08:47 AM

I had an awesome wire change and I had a pit mix who was like Houdini. No matter how hard I tried he still broke out of that cage. That's when I went back to using plastic

dogfaeries 01-13-2014 11:13 AM

Wire crates for me. My dogs, even as puppies, never chewed on the wires, or tried to break out. It's what we use at shows, so it's what I have at home (and in the minivan).

trcy 01-13-2014 12:10 PM

I used a wire crate until the puppy got larger. I then switched to a plastic crate. The breeder told me wire crates are not safe. Dogs can get hurt trying to get out and she knew of one that died trying to get out of one. The dog managed to strangle itself.