German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   In need of a new large cage! (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/388978-need-new-large-cage.html)

A-Flyer 12-31-2013 04:32 AM

In need of a new large cage!

So my GSD has managed to take off the latches, bend, escape, and completely destroy his last cage over the past year. He completely ruined it last week. The cage he did this to was Puppy Crate » Top Paw™ Double Door Dog Crates | PetSmart.

I'm not a fan of these metal crates anymore and I'm in need of a good cage for under $200 that I can purchase online.
I got him Petmate Navigator Kennel - Carriers - Cat - PetSmart two days ago (Size 36.1 X 23.3 X 26.7, only size available at the store and online apparently) but he didn't have any room to lay down in and turn on his sides.

He just turned 1 year old recently and I'm in need of a cage for him fast.
What do you guys recommend I should get him?

I was thinking of getting him something like an exorcise pen (what I was thinking of getting) but a friend thinks he'll just knock it down when he's bored...

jocoyn 12-31-2013 04:51 AM

I bought this for Beau. He is not destructive of his crates though but I wanted a larger one and have had enough accidents involving wire crates that I preferred this route. They are not stocked at the stores. He would fit in a standard 42 inch crate but I wanted more stretch out room for home use. It is not under $200 but it is very close. The latch does require two hands to open but it also secures the door with 4 pins, not 2.

Petmate Traditional Giant Portable Vari Kennel Crates - Giant Breed Vari Kennel from petco.com

David Winners 12-31-2013 05:31 AM

I second the recommendation for the Vari Kennel. They are pretty tough. They are standard for military dogs. I put a piece of livestock matting cut to fit in the bottom.

Most GSDs will fit fine in the large, but the giant leaves more room to maneuver, especially for a bigger dog.

David Winners

Curtis 12-31-2013 05:41 AM

I'll second the vari kennel. I picked up a used 48" one on Craigslist for $50.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

jafo220 12-31-2013 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jocoyn (Post 4747498)
I bought this for Beau. He is not destructive of his crates though but I wanted a larger one and have had enough accidents involving wire crates that I preferred this route. They are not stocked at the stores. He would fit in a standard 42 inch crate but I wanted more stretch out room for home use. It is not under $200 but it is very close. The latch does require two hands to open but it also secures the door with 4 pins, not 2.

Petmate Traditional Giant Portable Vari Kennel Crates - Giant Breed Vari Kennel from petco.com

This is the one I got for Cruz. Very good kennel. Would also recommend.

endless5 01-10-2014 08:12 PM

I just got this one from amazon:

Saw a similar one on elitek9 but it was over $200 in shipping...more expensive than the actual crate!

madis 01-10-2014 08:16 PM

We're getting one from Walmart. 78$ for an XL. Might not be amazing quality but it has good reviews on chewy.com

Sent from Petguide.com Free App