Good set for a beginner? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-27-2013, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Banned

Default Good set for a beginner?

Amazon.com: Agility in the Bag: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: Agility in the Bag: Pet Supplies

Does this seem good quality to start of with a dog? The ratings seem great.
GSDLover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2013, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I would pass. It looks very cheap, those aren't training weaves and probably won't stay upright with a GSD running full speed through them, and the chute is pretty cheapo looking as well. Also, the hoop looking jump can be dangerous as I'm sure it doesn't break away if the dog gets tangled up in it.
I would purchase a few jumps (or make them yourself) and a good quality set of weave poles (ones that you can train with so a channel set or whichever method you choose).

Check Craigslist for used equipment - I found a nice regulation size tunnel and several jumps for $100. There's also plans on here to build equipment, jumps are really easy to make.

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2013, 10:17 PM   #3 (permalink)
Elite Member

IMO it's not a terrible option if you have a smaller dog (read: not a GSD) and need a guerrilla set that you can carry around, set up in a public space, and collapse for storage. Even then, if you're going to get serious about actually doing agility (vs. just training the obstacles as casual tricks for fun), you'll just have to rent training space or borrow a friend's setup, because you can't duplicate serious training on that set.

If you have enough space for real agility equipment, and know you actually want to do agility, then definitely go with real equipment. But if you're just looking to dabble and want to play around with stuff for fun, then it's not the worst way to drop some money.

I'd look at it more on the level of the goofy "training aids" I pick up at the dollar store, though. Not serious sport equipment, just stuff for fun.
Old 12-27-2013, 11:26 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Don't go cheap. If you're looking for jumps, google it and there will be instructions on what to buy, what lengths to cut the PVC in, and how to assemble a jump, it will cost you maybe $20 a jump. For the chute and tunnel...buy a real nice one. Anything "light weight" or easy enough to carry on a regular basis will not stay grounded as your GSD is running through it. We have a very light one (like a baby toy) for demonstrations that our club uses, and its garbage. You cannot let a dog that truly bolts through the tunnel to go through it or they'll rip it or get stuck in it because it will roll over as it runs through it.

For weaves...buy the PVC (3/4 inch I believe), hammer some fiberglass poles (the ones used for winter marking) into the ground, and put the PVC over them.
martemchik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2013, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Thanks guys! Glad I posted! I'll pass and look into building some of the equipment.
GSDLover2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.