German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Good set for a beginner? (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/387482-good-set-beginner.html)

GSDLover2000 12-27-2013 09:30 PM

Good set for a beginner?

Does this seem good quality to start of with a dog? The ratings seem great. :)

I_LOVE_MY_MIKKO 12-27-2013 09:43 PM

I would pass. It looks very cheap, those aren't training weaves and probably won't stay upright with a GSD running full speed through them, and the chute is pretty cheapo looking as well. Also, the hoop looking jump can be dangerous as I'm sure it doesn't break away if the dog gets tangled up in it.
I would purchase a few jumps (or make them yourself) and a good quality set of weave poles (ones that you can train with so a channel set or whichever method you choose).

Check Craigslist for used equipment - I found a nice regulation size tunnel and several jumps for $100. There's also plans on here to build equipment, jumps are really easy to make.

Merciel 12-27-2013 10:17 PM

IMO it's not a terrible option if you have a smaller dog (read: not a GSD) and need a guerrilla set that you can carry around, set up in a public space, and collapse for storage. Even then, if you're going to get serious about actually doing agility (vs. just training the obstacles as casual tricks for fun), you'll just have to rent training space or borrow a friend's setup, because you can't duplicate serious training on that set.

If you have enough space for real agility equipment, and know you actually want to do agility, then definitely go with real equipment. But if you're just looking to dabble and want to play around with stuff for fun, then it's not the worst way to drop some money.

I'd look at it more on the level of the goofy "training aids" I pick up at the dollar store, though. Not serious sport equipment, just stuff for fun.

martemchik 12-27-2013 11:26 PM

Don't go cheap. If you're looking for jumps, google it and there will be instructions on what to buy, what lengths to cut the PVC in, and how to assemble a jump, it will cost you maybe $20 a jump. For the chute and tunnel...buy a real nice one. Anything "light weight" or easy enough to carry on a regular basis will not stay grounded as your GSD is running through it. We have a very light one (like a baby toy) for demonstrations that our club uses, and its garbage. You cannot let a dog that truly bolts through the tunnel to go through it or they'll rip it or get stuck in it because it will roll over as it runs through it.

For weaves...buy the PVC (3/4 inch I believe), hammer some fiberglass poles (the ones used for winter marking) into the ground, and put the PVC over them.

GSDLover2000 12-28-2013 12:16 AM

Thanks guys! Glad I posted! I'll pass and look into building some of the equipment.