German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Jackets for dogs (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/375745-jackets-dogs.html)

Suka 12-03-2013 11:57 PM

Jackets for dogs

Now, I know many of you wouldn't need or use these, but I live in a city with very inclement winter weather and Frank has a very short stock coat. I didn't see another thread dealing with this, but hope someone else uses a coat and can give me some good links and references that don't come up with a mere google search. I'm considering boots too because in the city, there is so much road salt that boots really help.

nhstadt 12-04-2013 12:30 AM

shepherds are pretty hardy, cold weather dogs, I've never seen the point in one, but It doesn't get below the low teens in my neck of the woods very often.... Same with the boots, and I dunno about your dog, but my dog would HATE dog boots.

Suka 12-04-2013 12:35 AM

Yes, coats come in handy to keep them from getting soaked in the rain and snow. It's not as much the temperature for warmth, though it gets to 50 below zero with the wind chill here. They can wear boots if they get used to them - it's definitely worth keeping the giant rock salt out from between their toes. They start limping and crying and you have to reach down there and try to dig it out in the snow. The salt also is drying and ick. Definitely worth it here.

blackshep 12-04-2013 08:51 AM

My dog has the same, more of a tight coat.

I never use a jacket except for days where I have to walk the dog and it's freezing rain or something really bad like that. I did get one that is water resistant and has thin layer of insulation. I have also used it when it's been extremely cold and I've had her out at a workshop and she has to sit in a cold car for a number of hours in her crate, she seemed comfortable.

This is the one she has, I think RC West Coast Rain Wear, Black - 12 I've only used it a couple of times though

If it's just snow, she doesn't need a coat, I think they really do like the colder weather rather than the warmer months.

I tried boots on her paws because when it's bitterly cold, she was limping (not from salt, just from the cold), but she will not wear them (I can't say I blame her), so unfortunately, she just has to gimp around while she does her business.

I think there's a product you can put on their paws, to help protect them, but I can't remember what it's called.

Suka 12-04-2013 08:59 AM

Thanks for that suggestion. Yes, that product is called Musher's Secret. It just doesn't help with salt between the toes.

Chicagocanine 12-04-2013 11:23 PM

If the boots are mostly to protect from the salt, I'd suggest trying Pawz boots. They are very thin stretchy disposable boots, sorta look like balloons. Because they are very thin the dog can still feel the ground normally so a lot of dogs don't mind wearing them unlike regular boots. I used these for my GSD to protect her feet, because they go overboard with putting down salt and chemicals here in the winter.

As for coats, Ruffwear makes some nice coats for active dogs. I also have an awesome very warm quilted dog coat made by a company called Scooters Friends. They are made in the USA and go up to very large sizes. They're pretty expensive though-- I won the one I have in a raffle...

Kat Tastic 12-05-2013 04:06 AM

Has anyone used Mushers Secret? Was thinking of getting a small tub for when we take the dogs up to the snow in Sequoia National Park.

jocoyn 12-05-2013 07:13 AM

I have even thought about a jacket down here at times. Mainly to keep mud and muck from penetrating the coat and having it brought in :)

JeanKBBMMMAAN 12-05-2013 07:19 AM

Ruffwear Performance Dog Gear | Dog Packs | Dog Boots products are nice. I've never bought the jackets or boots, but love the harness and backpack.

Kat Tastic 12-05-2013 09:34 PM

We just got a Ruffwear collar, it is good quality.