Thoughts on this E Collar? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2013, 05:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I use a Dogtra as well 2300ncp

Interesting, I don't feel anything until I hit 16 on the dogtra. My dogs level is between 35-60 depending on what's going on.
Yeah same here. It really depends on the dog and how sensitive they are to corrections though.

My dogs usually around a 25-28 under no distractions at a minumum, but I've definitely had to raise it up depending on the surroundings. No way she's going to notice a 25 with a running squirrel anywhere near her.

If I put the collar on my skin... I usually won't even start to feel anything until at least 15.
Lucy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 PM   #12 (permalink)
Elite Member

What they call "blunt stim" is a phenomenon whereby the sensation that the Ecollar gives is "not sharp," hence the use of the term "blunt." If you feel it on yourself, you might call it "smoother." I've not noticed a difference in how the dogs respond but some trainers say that they can see a difference in the dogs.

As to the COS (Control of stim) that prevent "head jerking" they're talking about the fact that their Ecollars have 100 levels rather than the much lower number of levels (4-18) that some other brands offer. With a collar that has 18 levels, every time you go up one number, you increase the power by 5.5%. That may be too big a jump for the dog and may cause "head jerking. With the Einstein when you go up one number, you increase the power by 1% (about 1/5 the jump in power of the other brand) and that's much less likely to cause the "head jerk." The head jerk is a sign of a too−high level of stim for many methods. It is with mine. If all you're doing is correcting the dog, then you might not care. If you're using it for teaching or are training a working dog, who uses his nose for a living, it will probably cause issues.

Dogtra and Einstein are the only brands that will work well with my methods, for this reason.

Lou Castle, Los Angeles, CA
uncllou@aol.com
www.loucastle.com
LouCastle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 01:11 PM   #13 (permalink)
Banned

why does your dog need an e-collar?
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 02:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Default Thoughts on this E Collar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
why does your dog need an e-collar?
Training why else?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jd414 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I have a Dogtra 2300NCP

Interesting, I don't feel anything until I hit 16 on the dogtra. My dogs level is between 35-60 depending on what's going on with training.
I wasn't sure about his levels either because I don't feel anything until 18 on the Dogtra, but I saw on Mr. Castle's forum that some dogs were down around 6 or 7. We are only 3 weeks into ecollar training so maybe his levels will increase as we progress.
aeb60 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 05:12 PM   #16 (permalink)
Banned

you can train a dog without an e-collar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jd414 View Post
Training why else?

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Old 02-17-2013, 05:42 PM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
you can train a dog without an e-collar.
Sure can! and for some things you can train the more efficiently off lead WITH an e-collar.

I don't use an ecollar on my youngest dog, but I did teach her what it was about and can put it on her for offlead walks in rattlesnake country. But my dog Mike, it saved his life....because SOMEONE would have freakin' KILLED that dog if I didn't find a way to reach him. The e-collar did it.
PAM FGDCh Ianna von Sontausen UDX,BH,TD,RE,PT (4.26.1998 - 2.11.2013)
DunRingill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2013, 07:16 PM   #18 (permalink)
Banned

with all of those impressive titles your dogs have which
title was earned training with an e-collar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DunRingill View Post
Sure can! and for some things you can train the more efficiently off lead WITH an e-collar.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:41 AM   #19 (permalink)
Master Member

e collar isnt an evil tool. Some people use it as a constant to build the dog up in protection and then let the e collar off when the dog bites. I dont like that. I viewed a total of one shutzund session and the trainers ecollar died. So he got the dog focused by hitting it in the face with his whip handle? On one hand it turned me off to shutzhund but it also whipped me into researching training psychology and now I at least understand what he was doing and why, even if thats not a method Id use. I may use an ecollar in the future though as a correction tool.
volcano is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-19-2013, 08:47 AM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcano View Post
e collar isnt an evil tool. Some people use it as a constant to build the dog up in protection and then let the e collar off when the dog bites. I dont like that. I viewed a total of one shutzund session and the trainers ecollar died. So he got the dog focused by hitting it in the face with his whip handle? On one hand it turned me off to shutzhund but it also whipped me into researching training psychology and now I at least understand what he was doing and why, even if thats not a method Id use. I may use an ecollar in the future though as a correction tool.
That examle is terrible training, and e-collar misuse. If a dog needs constant stim to bite, it should not be on the field.
Sorry, but your example is not the norm and I feel sorry for the poor dog. Don't judge Schutzhund by that one session you saw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.