Any advice on Halty collars - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Any advice on Halty collars

I have a 2 year old female gsd who is very fiesty, and pulls when she get excited. I have so many people recommending the halty collar, but I have reservations. She gets so excited sometimes I am afraid this tool will hurt her, plus she does get an attitude when her muzzle is messed with too much. Any advice is welcome.
Moshamoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I hate them and so do most dogs. I'd rather use a prong collar than a halti or "gentle" leader. My favorite training collar is a martingale. I was close to using a prong for WD but was able to work him through his impulse issues as he got older and more trained.
wolfy dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

My experience with the Halti is that most dogs fight it, even with proper conditioning, and the few dogs that don't do very well on it. My current foster is one of those dogs, a head halter really helps calm him down.

Better bet is something for control like a front clip harness and martingale or a prong depending on the tools you like to use and focused training sessions to improve loose leash walking, focus and communication with varying distractions.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Elite Member

Worked well with my boxer/ dobe mix when he was fighting to get it off. He was constantly pawing at his which made for a rough and un enjoyable walk but when we did get started I could control him a lot better. I have 1 for Bella but never use it b/c she walks well while on lead so I don't see the point. I use a harness and flat collar.

Last edited by BellaLuna; 02-11-2013 at 07:45 PM.
BellaLuna is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:46 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It works great for some dogs and not for others. Best way to know is try one for yourself and see how it goes

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 5 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Shade is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 07:47 PM   #6 (permalink)

my gsd will be 1 year in couple weeks and we went thru alot of pulling for a long time! i tried the halti and she hated it and people thought it was a muzzle and i didnt want her with that reputation where i live..so we finally used a front loading harness for past couple months and now i mostly use that but ive noticed she now walks very well on her martingale...i think she just never realized when she was pulling at such a large size i was like a kite following behind her.
oldiehawn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The Halti worked great for my Shepherd, once I actually conditioned her to it. I did that by feeding her treats through it at first, then putting it on and feeding a treat and removing it, then when she was good with that I started putting it on, feeding her dinner, and removing it once she finished eating. This all was over a few days, and after that she was comfortable wearing it.
Old 02-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Thank you, I have had a similar experience with the martingale. It seems to work best and I am starting engagement training with that, treats on the move. When I lightly tug on the margingale, she seems to responde as long as she is calm. When she gets excited, it seems less of a stresser than the prong collar I used for months. Seems as though alot of you like the martingale. I will wait on the halty. Just a note, the easy walker harness did not work when Mika got excited. One time she jumped up when she saw a person (so excitable) and fell down. Becaue of the pressure on the front legs (this is the design of the harness) when she came back down she did not have control of her legs, and fell flat on her front side.

Again, any thoughts about working with the martingale, or other tools is greatly appreciated.
Moshamoon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshamoon View Post
Becaue of the pressure on the front legs (this is the design of the harness) when she came back down she did not have control of her legs, and fell flat on her front side.
Just a note about the Easy Walk harness, the pressure should not be on the legs but on the chest. I do agree that the Easy Walk is not the best fit for most GSDs. The Freedom Harness is much better fit but does not have the martingale feature on the chest so doesn't have the same stopping power.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I got a martingale and a prong. I have preferred to use the prong because he's a dominant guy and I wasn't really giving strong corrections...so he was still pulling. It really depends on the dog. I'd get the martingale, and if it doesn't work then go with the prong. You can always go back to the martingale after you get things under control with a prong if you have to go that route. I do NOT like Halti's. Not for shepherds. Sorry, but not only is there the chance of them getting hurt... but I think it just looks demeaning on them. (No offence for those that use them!) JMO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.