what are good alternatives for a prong collar? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default what are good alternatives for a prong collar?

I'd like to follow a recommendation to give my dog a break from using a prong collar, and would like to get some suggestions on what might have the best chance of working out.

My boy has his moments where he's good but he gets distracted easy and gets pretty rowdy. He's a 9 months and 75lbs GSD. He has his moments where he lunges forward and pulls like crazy. Different things set him off, it could be a dog, it could be a leaf... and sometimes he jumps on people, like my mom. He jumps on her repeatedly like a crazy ninja pup, I think trying to get her to play but he really needs to learn thats not ok. I need to work on his attention, his focus... There's a lot I need to work on, it's a long daunting list, so I need to get my hands on better tools.

I've been told to try a martingale and I was looking at the easy walk harness and the gentle leader headcollar online.

He will pull even with the prong, sometimes he ignores it's on, though it may be that the way his ex-trainer fit it was wrong, she left it on pretty loose.

My guess is he'll ignore the martingale (because he will sometimes ignore the prong) so I'm leaning on the easy walk and would like to hear what you guys think or if there's some cons or if it could cause harm to my pup in anyway that I should look into anything else.

Last edited by Phoebes; 02-02-2013 at 03:00 PM.
Phoebes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2013, 03:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would go with the martingale and easy walk together to give you more control if he really does lunge and pull that much.

With a martingale, you can hook your leash to both the martingale and the front hook on the easy walk. He would feel most of the pressure on his neck which will help move toward getting off the easy walk but the added control have the easy walk controlling his front end.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 03:16 PM   #3 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Please don't put a head collar on a dog that's acting like that. It could damage his neck. Take some links out of your prong to make it fit snugly. I also use a martingale, but ONLY when he's not acting like a fool. I think the main problem is you've never been using the prong correctly, so you've never really seen the benefits of it.
Old 02-02-2013, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)

Jag, you were one of the ones who suggested in the OP's other thread to give the prong collar a break. The OP needs to focus on rebuilding the trust between themself and their dog and right now, the corrections will not do that since an inappropriate prong correction is what caused the issue to begin with.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 03:30 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Please don't put a head collar on a dog that's acting like that. It could damage his neck. Take some links out of your prong to make it fit snugly. I also use a martingale, but ONLY when he's not acting like a fool. I think the main problem is you've never been using the prong correctly, so you've never really seen the benefits of it.
I thought so. I've seen it on dogs often and I read what the package says but kept picturing it on and didn't like the idea of it.
I'll get help on how to fit this thing right, maybe that'll do it...
Old 02-02-2013, 03:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Jag, you were one of the ones who suggested in the OP's other thread to give the prong collar a break. The OP needs to focus on rebuilding the trust between themself and their dog and right now, the corrections will not do that since an inappropriate prong correction is what caused the issue to begin with.
thanks for clearing that up for me.
Old 02-02-2013, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Oops! My short term memory issues are showing. Sorry. Ignore my other post, except when you go back to the prong just make sure it's fitted properly. I do like the martingale, though.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:05 PM   #8 (permalink)

I get my martingales from
The Ultimate Leash

He is now a vendor here, and I absolutely LOVE my martingales from him..clip on vs over the head, nice designs, sturdy..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 09:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

That's where I got mine, too. I really like the metal buckle. Of course, when I went to the website I found I REALLY needed to have the Ultimate Leash, too!
Old 02-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

i think you should find a trainer.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.