Does anyone use a 54" wire crate? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2013, 10:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

I believe, I can't think of anywhere in my entire home it would fit. It's longer than the pen I have in the basement already.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 11:21 AM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I had a 54" crate for Stark when he was younger but sold it because it took up so much room. I now have 2 48" crates in the house. I have 2 36" crates in my car plus a x-pen so don't see a need for the larger crate.

If your dog spends a lot of time in the crate, and you can afford the room in your home, I say go for it. But it's not really necessary.
Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a 54" in my bedroom. Although it belongs to Hondo, I use it for all the dogs, including my mini doxie. Sometimes, when Hondo decides he wants to sleep in our room all night, I'll open the crate which will block him off from my side of the bed. That way when he decides he's ready to go outside, he'll go to hubby and wake him up. Hubby isn't aware of my evil plot.

It's biggest fault is I keep putting things on top of it. It gets cluttered really quickly.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 11:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
I do. I have a 54", two 42" and a 48" in my house (3 of the 4 are being used).

Currently, two of my dogs share the 54" however. They aren't cramped, can each spread out if they want to but usually lay on each other. It started as temporray thing just for when moving other dogs through the house (we crate and rotate a lot). Raven was always loose and didn't have a crate and Kaiser was in the 54" so we put them in together and they like it. I couldn't move K out of his crate because he breaks out of smaller ones so they share.
We have a 54" crate as well and had two sharing it comfortably. But it just was huge and we weren't using it as much so it's been in the garage about a year. Currently we are using a 48" wire crate and a 42" furrari for our malinois.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:03 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
54"? This is blowing my mind!
Me too! I have a 48" for Jax and I could fit two of her in there. I just bought it because she needed room to turn around easily while recovering from ACL surgery.

And the reason it was sold by the previous owners???....because their Great Dane outgrew it! They needed to get the next size up. LOL

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:14 PM   #16 (permalink)
Rua
Master Member

I have one this size. We keep it in our small spare room. It's massive, but so handy. I used it for Juno up till she was 5 months old (after which we no longer kept her in a crate) and I'm currently using it for Bowser. They both could easily fit in there, but I trust Juno in the house if I'm away so don't need to do that. I don't trust Bowser if I'm gone cuz he's a chewy little thing.

I have some vet bedding cut to size for it and it's super easy to keep clean. It has two doors and it collapses down flat when not in use. It's great!
Rua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #17 (permalink)
Elite Member

Have a 51"? and love it. She fits in a 36" for travel. If there is a bigger one I might get it for Pup. Poor girl spends alot of time crates while I'm at work.
Old 01-17-2013, 03:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Master Member

A 51" sounds awesome but seems impossible to get
I have enough trouble finding a 54" - looks like I will most likely get another 48" that way they will fit next to each other neater. (also 48" seems to be available 2nd hand easily)

I just gave my dining setting to my SIL so I have a big spare space in the lounge LOL That setting fit 8 people and was taking up way way to much space.
The 48" crate fits next to the front door, my house is old and a funny shape so we have lots of "useless" spaces where we can't put actual furniture.

As for the keeping clutter on top of the crate - I hear ya LOL it's the biggest problem when I have them permanently set up - every flat surface gets covered in clutter
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:45 PM   #19 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
every flat surface gets covered in clutter
Heh, that's how is it here, too...I'm reluctant to even set up a TV tray for that reason!
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 04:11 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by msvette2u View Post
Heh, that's how is it here, too...I'm reluctant to even set up a TV tray for that reason!
I am also guilty of this....

We just got a 48" wire crate for Jerry yesterday and it's like a MANSION for him! We've been leaving him out of his crate because the biggest we had was a 36" and he wasn't fitting in it anymore and we were waiting until tax return time to upgrade but he started causing trouble so had to get him a crate quicker.

I've seen the bigger ones but didn't even consider it because I just don't think Jerry will get THAT big his growth seems to have started to slow down and he's 65 lbs at 7, almost 8 months, so I don't think he'll require a bigger crate than the 48" he just got yesterday.
jewels04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.