Inground pool pretection!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-14-2013, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Inground pool pretection!!

Hello,

It has been awhile since I have posted so I hope everybody and their fur children have been good!
Now to get to the question! We have just moved out of the city(finally) and our new house has 2 acres of fenced property and we also have an inground pool. It is winter time right now and there is a winter cover on the pool, but it is one of the cheaper winter covers that has slack in it like a tarp and you just put weight on the outsides to hold the cover in place. Needless to say Koko wants to run across the pool, play on the pool cover etc. Does anybody out there have any suggestions for pool safety? I am going to install a new winter cover next fall - the safety ones that stretch tight so humans or animals do not fall through, but I need to come up with a solution for the short term. I am mixed about teaching her to stay away from the pool completly because in the summer I would allow her to jump in while we are supervising. I am not very keen on shock collars or shock fences but am leaning that way. I do see that they sell fencing but it is extremely expensive and am looking for some ideas on a less costly method.
Ribrustler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2013, 10:57 AM   #2 (permalink)

maybe some form of temporary fence. i guess it kind of depends on how relentless your dog is at getting into that pool though.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribrustler View Post
Hello,

It has been awhile since I have posted so I hope everybody and their fur children have been good!
Now to get to the question! We have just moved out of the city(finally) and our new house has 2 acres of fenced property and we also have an inground pool. It is winter time right now and there is a winter cover on the pool, but it is one of the cheaper winter covers that has slack in it like a tarp and you just put weight on the outsides to hold the cover in place. Needless to say Koko wants to run across the pool, play on the pool cover etc. Does anybody out there have any suggestions for pool safety? I am going to install a new winter cover next fall - the safety ones that stretch tight so humans or animals do not fall through, but I need to come up with a solution for the short term. I am mixed about teaching her to stay away from the pool completly because in the summer I would allow her to jump in while we are supervising. I am not very keen on shock collars or shock fences but am leaning that way. I do see that they sell fencing but it is extremely expensive and am looking for some ideas on a less costly method.

I would take the current cover off if there is a chance of Koko getting onto it. If she gets on it she may be in real trouble. When we had our pool put in we were told if we weren't going to use a safety cover then don't use anything because those are dangerous. If a person or animal gets on it they could get wrapped up and drown very easily. Our pup likes to run across the safety cover and it sinks just enough for her to have some water to play in. I can't wait until this summer to get her swimming!
Cats - Cricket, Mickey, Spartacus, Tiger, Josie, Ashton, Lily, Drake, Cooper, Tucker & Hank
arby665 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arby665 View Post
I would take the current cover off if there is a chance of Koko getting onto it. If she gets on it she may be in real trouble. When we had our pool put in we were told if we weren't going to use a safety cover then don't use anything because those are dangerous. If a person or animal gets on it they could get wrapped up and drown very easily. Our pup likes to run across the safety cover and it sinks just enough for her to have some water to play in. I can't wait until this summer to get her swimming!
This is a very good point. Those tarps can be death traps.
skew12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skew12 View Post
maybe some form of temporary fence.
Agreed. Some time ago I installed a temporary fence to try to help some grass grow near my house where Pimg runs a lot (I've since given up on all hope of grass). The fence was just cheap landscaping fence that I installed with long stakes. It worked just fine- but admittedly Pimg is amazingly respectful of boundaries.

Not the best pic, but it's all I have on hand. You can see the fence and stakes:

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thank you for the replies, I will probably have to do some type of temporary fencing. The problem is it will not be cheap as I have concrete right up to the house and one side of the pool, so i will need to come up with something rather large to reach the grass. It does not help that the ground is frozen either...
Old 01-14-2013, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

We cannot leave the winter cover off up here in Michigan... I am going to buy a safety cover this fall, they do not like to install them in winter because the ground is heaved and they have to install threaded inserts into the concrete, or else i would have one installed right now.
Old 01-14-2013, 02:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribrustler View Post
Thank you for the replies, I will probably have to do some type of temporary fencing. The problem is it will not be cheap as I have concrete right up to the house and one side of the pool, so i will need to come up with something rather large to reach the grass. It does not help that the ground is frozen either...
Take a 10 gallon bucket, fill with water, insert stake, set outside to freeze. Instant posts.
Chimanes Spice it Up Piquin (Kaynya) - Chinese Crested
Nator von Triton HIC CGC (Mauser) - LC GSD
Piquins Some Like it Hot (Spike) Chinese Crested
Piquins Too Hot To Handle - (Fuego) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Wasabi (Sabi) - Chinese Crested
Piquins Super Hot (Clark) - Chinese Crested
Banzai, Cloe, Mocha - Felines Extraordinaire
Neke, Tessa, Remi, Sadie, Riggs, Sasha, Tazer - DK, Mozart, Zoe - Gone but not forgotten
Lauri & The Gang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 02:41 PM   #9 (permalink)
AJT

Got an in-ground pool here too and understand the pool tarp/cover issue. We actually have a 5 foot fence with a gate entrance surrounding our pool. Not just for keeping the dog out but also to attempt to keep wandering kids from falling in. I think in our neck of the woods it's an insurance risk to not have your in-ground pool fenced.

Not having a pool cover is not an option for us since our pool is lined and the water capacity would take several days to refill if we opt to drain the pool.
AJT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 03:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

I would either figure out a temporary fence, or make a rule that she either has to be supervised directly or tied up when outside. I'm not a fan of tying dogs, but I've known of 2 different dogs who drowned by running over non-safety pool covers, and I consider it a huge safety risk that outweighs the temporary unpleasantness of tying the dog out.

Also, when you do get a safety cover, be sure to inspect it routinely for tears. A friend of mine had a really close call when her dog fell through a tear in the cover that she wasn't aware of--fortunately the dog was able to keep his upper body on the cover and she saw it so could run out and save him, but the tear was big enough for him to fall completely through. Just something to keep in mind for the future.
Bandit-8 y/o ACD
Wooby-14 y/o ACD
Abutiu "Abi"-ACD puppy and hopeful future SAR dog!
RowdyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.