Egg crate foam or Memory foam? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 03:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Smile Egg crate foam or Memory foam?

When it comes to orthopedic dog beds which do you prefer? They both have their benefits but what do you like? I cant decide whether I want something that lasts or something made more for joints...

Egg crate foam
- It shapes to the dogs body but then it makes a deep bowl shape (It will stay that way)
+ Used in hospitals for spine and back injuries
+Allows air to flow so it doesnt heat up as fast

Memory foam
+ It will shape to the dogs body and then pop back up (lasting longer)
- Retains heat
+ Better sleep

Is there any other kind of orthopedic material you use? She doesn't have HD (that I know of... she is too young to get her hips checked) but she seems to kinda fall sometimes or you know how your knee lets go sometimes its like that... Plus I want to keep her off the hard ground and want the best bed.

What do you guys think? Because I cant be paying $50-$100 each time she needs a new bed... So I need help. Any comments are welcomed C: Thanks!

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went."
-Will Rogers
PuppyKono is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 05:25 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master Member

Mine have 'trampoline" style beds and just thick foam mattresses on those in winter (about 2" thick) and when it gets really cold they get a wool blanket as well
My old dog used to love ripping up anything that was foam so she had a big woollen blanked folded up several times - that was really padded and wouldn't compress.

I got a memory foam one recently but it's too thin, as the foam compresses it squishes so flat they might as well lay on the floor
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #3 (permalink)

if your going to spend the money I would go with memory foam..

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #4 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

I always do the disclaimer - I know the person with these but:
Dog Beds, Orthopedic Dog Beds, Washable Dog Beds |Moon Dog Mattresses
if your dog doesn't rip up beds violently, these beds are great and last. My dogs have 2 - one that was a reject without the nice pillow top, that I keep covered with sheets, that my foster did rip up with her teeth in a violent, you should've picked me up from the vet an hour go, outburst. I still use it because the chunk she ripped out doesn't keep it from being useable. The other one was given to my dog who was going to have 8 weeks of crate rest after liver tumor removal surgery. The first one I've had about 4 years, the second one 2. The dogs love them, and as long as the dog isn't destructive, you don't have to buy new beds repeatedly because they are so easy to keep clean/retain shape, etc. So the expense initially is high, but instead of 10 $50 beds...
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
Mine have 'trampoline" style beds and just thick foam mattresses on those in winter (about 2" thick) and when it gets really cold they get a wool blanket as well
My old dog used to love ripping up anything that was foam so she had a big woollen blanked folded up several times - that was really padded and wouldn't compress.

I got a memory foam one recently but it's too thin, as the foam compresses it squishes so flat they might as well lay on the floor
Yeah right now I have a bunch of blankets on the floor for her C: Ill be sure to find a thick one so that doesnt happen! THANKS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakodaCD OA View Post
if your going to spend the money I would go with memory foam..
Ok Thanks! I probably will find a memory foam one because they seem cheaper and if they are just as good and last longer i would want the memory foam C:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I always do the disclaimer - I know the person with these but:
Dog Beds, Orthopedic Dog Beds, Washable Dog Beds |Moon Dog Mattresses
if your dog doesn't rip up beds violently, these beds are great and last. My dogs have 2 - one that was a reject without the nice pillow top, that I keep covered with sheets, that my foster did rip up with her teeth in a violent, you should've picked me up from the vet an hour go, outburst. I still use it because the chunk she ripped out doesn't keep it from being useable. The other one was given to my dog who was going to have 8 weeks of crate rest after liver tumor removal surgery. The first one I've had about 4 years, the second one 2. The dogs love them, and as long as the dog isn't destructive, you don't have to buy new beds repeatedly because they are so easy to keep clean/retain shape, etc. So the expense initially is high, but instead of 10 $50 beds...
Thanks! I checked them out and they look like they have a good product C:

-Will Rogers
Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #6 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Egg crate. Memory foam holds heat, and it turns rock hard after a 'mold' is cast and a 'thing' lays in that 'mold'. Not comfy. Also very warm. GSDs don't normally like too much heat. You know, for less money you can have an even better dog bed by using a good crib mattress?

Last edited by Jag; 01-06-2013 at 01:17 AM.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
Egg crate. Memory foam holds heat, and it turns rock hard after a 'mold' is cast and a 'thing' lays in that 'mold'. Not comfy. Also very warm. GSDs don't normally like too much heat. You know, for less money you can have an even better dog bed by using a good crib mattress?
I do have a crib mattress that no one is using right now so Ill put that down tonight and see if she like it Thanks!

What do you mean it get hard when a mold is cast?

-Will Rogers
Old 01-06-2013, 03:32 AM   #8 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

When I lay for awhile (which being sick I've done often) the memory foam gets hard as a brick. You have to rotate the mattress to get rid of the 'body mold' left from where you always lay. In a non-ill young dog, it would take some time to get that breakdown, but it will come. I have a bed that is very expensive and has memory foam in it. It's going as soon as we have money to replace it. It's worse on my back than any other mattress. Not something I'd get again, or get for a dog. The egg crate is better. Grim's kennel pad is egg crate. It springs back up. It's only for elbow, etc. wear. Our old girl has a mattress that is topped with egg crate. She can't stand hard surfaces anymore. She loves that bed. When I need another, though, I'm going with a good crib mattress.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:23 AM   #9 (permalink)

For my dogs I get a cheap egg crate twin mattress topper, fold it into thirds, and then fold an old blanket around it. Voila! Dog bed.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:49 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If you are spending the money, go with memory foam. It lasts longer (as long as no one chews on it) and is more durable. I have a memory foam matress, and I've never had a problem with overheating during the summer or getting too hard in winter. My dog has an old futon mattress for a bed, which is holding up quite well other than the puppy's chewing.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.