Egg crate foam or Memory foam? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-06-2013, 01:37 PM   #11 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

I envy you. They've come out with 'new' memory foam for human mattresses that are 'stay cool' because there were so many complaints about the heat retention with the 'old' memory foam. I won't pay more than $50 for a dog bed, because there are so many other 'non-dog bed' options. You've just got to think outside what you're being sold. I only got the old girl a bed at all because she's, well, old and getting arthritis and other aches and pains. If you're crating or kenneling it may need a pad, but other than that dogs are fine on the floor if you've got carpet. My shepherds always preferred our bed (free) or chair (free).

Last edited by Jag; 01-06-2013 at 01:40 PM.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 02:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Both! Really nice doggie ortho beds come with a layer of egg crate foam AND memory foam. The memory foam will compress causing the dog's body to sink the the floor anyway. The egg crate foam won't compress as much and provides support for the memory foam. When used in conjunction with each other, you get very good support and you don't have the heat issue with the foam.

I bought both my crate pads at Petco. The blue one is newer and is memory foam. The brown one is the egg crate foam. Since taking this picture, I've reversed them so the egg crate foam pad is on top. She REALLY likes them now.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 04:23 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag View Post
I won't pay more than $50 for a dog bed, because there are so many other 'non-dog bed' options. You've just got to think outside what you're being sold. I only got the old girl a bed at all because she's, well, old and getting arthritis and other aches and pains. If you're crating or kenneling it may need a pad, but other than that dogs are fine on the floor if you've got carpet.
Or even if you don't--we have hardwood floors, and half the time my 11 year old female is lying sprawled on the hardwood instead of her bed. Even when it's cold outside. So yeah, that plus the fact that I can get free stuff that serves very well as a bed, I won't pay a lot for one, either.
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.