German Shepherds Forum banner

Collar or Harness

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Cassidy's Mom 
#1 ·
Before I find my lifelong companion and protector I am doing research on all things GSD, any thought on should I use collar, harness or both for which types of training and on the collars which one, the pinch, choke etc.
thank you

#4 ·
I have many collars for my dogs. Flat buckle collar for tags(which they only wear when we are off property)
For my baby puppy, I really didn't use anything, he was naked most often when we trained. I wanted him to want to be with me, not because he was attached. Food, praise, then toys kept him engaged with me.

I went with a harness when he was about 3 months old when we went off property. I also had a heavier leather harness for protection work.
Around 6-8 months I introduced a prong. But I still used a fursaver on the dead ring only for many training exercises. I intro'd the e-collar at 3 yrs. We use that for certain things, but when he was trained on it, it was on him every time I trained, even if it wasn't used.
For my reactive dog, I used a gentle leader and a front clip harness because a prong ramped her up.
For my very handler sensitive dog, a flat buckle collar is all that is needed.
The only collar I've never used and never will is a slip chain choke. I'd rather use a prong than a choke collar.
For fosters, I use a martingale that cannot be slipped.

#5 ·
What kind of training do you plan to do? For young puppies I start with an adjustable flat nylon collar with a quick release buckle. I also like Sense-ation front hook harnesses, a traditional harness with the leash connection on the back can encourage pulling.

I don't like or use choke chains, and you won't need to worry about whether or not to use a prong collar for awhile. Jane's suggestion of a martingale collar is a good one, you want something that a puppy can't back out of. One time Cassidy balked at the door to the vet and backed out of her collar - our vet is on the busiest street in town, with four lanes of traffic. I had to immediately tackle her before she could bolt! The Sense-ation harness is also more secure than a flat collar, and it's very easy to put on, you just pop it over the dog's head and buckle it under the chest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.