German Shepherds Forum banner

Agitation collar or harness?

3K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Chris Wild 
#1 ·
I noticed on the 'working line dog' thread that most dogs were in an agitation harness. This is what I planned on doing because I think it would be a little easier both on the dog and on me.

Who uses which, and what are the pros/cons?

#3 · (Edited)
I would put the younger dog on a harness, then add in a prong with that as more control is needed-running two lines.
Using a harness gives the handler less control, as the dog pulls. But barking can be restricted if you just use a collar, so many people use the harness to help the dog, not so much the handler.
You could put the dog on a post if you can't hold him, but that takes skill as well, to keep the line from tangling. Or have someone hold the line while you are near your dog, so you are essentially supporting your dog with your presence, but someone else is handling the line(s).
There is also the thought that the dog should work independently, so the handlers presence isn't needed. When I did a workshop with a well known helper, he wanted the dog between the handlers legs to show the teamwork/dog needed to know he had his partner constantly. Different methods....both seem legitimate in the big picture.

Really, I've seldom used my agitation collar more than a few times.
This harness is really nice for young dogs, and very well made for the price. Even though it is a 'tracking' harness, many use it for protection work, not tracking. https://www.bridgeportequipment.com/ProductDetail.aspx?productId=96

#4 ·
I use a harness if the dog is being tied to a solid post, otherwise I use collars. The collar gives you more accurate control, but the harness is safer if there's not a human holding the line (no "give" to the line). Some dogs also need a harness because they pull and lunge nonstop into a collar and just exhaust themselves.

#8 ·
Depends on the dog. The dog really should be constantly lunging and then getting snapped back by the collar or having constant pressure. When I'm working Nikon collar only I can often hold the line between two fingers.

#9 ·
I use a collar except some times when I back tie. IF I use a harness at other times I will double line the dog with one line to the harness and one to a collar.

I don't like working dogs on a harness. Never have. It is harder to get a good carry with the harness (thus the reason I would double line) and I don't feel as much in control.

#10 · (Edited)
OK. Lisa, if you're working a very young dog.. would you use a double line? Also, when you use a double line, do you have a second person holding the harness line? Or do you handle them both? I can't imagine the dexterity it would take to do a double line by yourself... but since I haven't actually witnessed someone using a double line I'm curious. When I put my previous boy on the field my back wasn't as bad and he was all about prey drive and certainly wasn't at a level of intensity that I'm expecting to see out of Grim. I guess in the thought of what would be easier to handle, I wasn't thinking about the lack of control of a harness.

I guess some of it will become clearer to me when I'm actually working Grim and seeing what he does. I do plan on having a new TLSO brace for my back and knee braces before working him....so the stability should be there on my end. Now I guess the only thought is what will be best for him, as well as control. It looks like there's agreement that the collar gives more control?

#11 ·
I usually work young dogs on a flat collar. I worked Donovan on both a harness and a pinch at one point because he was pulling too hard into the collar. I run both lines. I use two diferent colors so I remember which line is which. In your case with an injury I would have someone be the pole for you (once Grim is big enough) on probably a harness and then you have the second line to a collar for carrying.

The collar is easier for carrying because you can control the head.

#12 ·
I prefer to use a harness when doing back tie work. IMO the dog feels more free to pull (and likewise isn't practicing pulling into a collar which is something I like to keep to a minimum for other reasons). There is also less potential torque on the neck and less potential restriction of barking as compared to a collar.

With the exception of puppies I do usually have a second line to a collar though so that I can use it to communicate to the dog as needed and because it is much easier to get a dog to circle/carry with a collar. Plus it's a safety back up should the harness break or the dog somehow get out of it. I've never had that happen to me, but have seen it happen on rare occasion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.