Agitation collar or harness? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Default Agitation collar or harness?

I noticed on the 'working line dog' thread that most dogs were in an agitation harness. This is what I planned on doing because I think it would be a little easier both on the dog and on me.

Who uses which, and what are the pros/cons?
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I own both an agitation collar and harness and will use either depending on what I'm working on.
GatorDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would put the younger dog on a harness, then add in a prong with that as more control is needed-running two lines.
Using a harness gives the handler less control, as the dog pulls. But barking can be restricted if you just use a collar, so many people use the harness to help the dog, not so much the handler.
You could put the dog on a post if you can't hold him, but that takes skill as well, to keep the line from tangling. Or have someone hold the line while you are near your dog, so you are essentially supporting your dog with your presence, but someone else is handling the line(s).
There is also the thought that the dog should work independently, so the handlers presence isn't needed. When I did a workshop with a well known helper, he wanted the dog between the handlers legs to show the teamwork/dog needed to know he had his partner constantly. Different methods....both seem legitimate in the big picture.

Really, I've seldom used my agitation collar more than a few times.
This harness is really nice for young dogs, and very well made for the price. Even though it is a 'tracking' harness, many use it for protection work, not tracking. https://www.bridgeportequipment.com/...x?productId=96

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-17-2012 at 08:59 PM.
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

I use a harness if the dog is being tied to a solid post, otherwise I use collars. The collar gives you more accurate control, but the harness is safer if there's not a human holding the line (no "give" to the line). Some dogs also need a harness because they pull and lunge nonstop into a collar and just exhaust themselves.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 09:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I prefer the harness for young/green dogs.
Something to keep in mind is with whom you will be training. Certain clubs strongly promote one over the other so save some money and check.

-and-
gagsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 10:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Thanks! I will ask and find out. Jane, that harness is cheaper than what I thought they'd run. Not too bad!
Old 12-18-2012, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wouldn't a harness be better, as far as for the dog's neck?

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 12:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

Depends on the dog. The dog really should be constantly lunging and then getting snapped back by the collar or having constant pressure. When I'm working Nikon collar only I can often hold the line between two fingers.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 PM   #9 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I use a collar except some times when I back tie. IF I use a harness at other times I will double line the dog with one line to the harness and one to a collar.

I don't like working dogs on a harness. Never have. It is harder to get a good carry with the harness (thus the reason I would double line) and I don't feel as much in control.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 04:43 PM   #10 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

OK. Lisa, if you're working a very young dog.. would you use a double line? Also, when you use a double line, do you have a second person holding the harness line? Or do you handle them both? I can't imagine the dexterity it would take to do a double line by yourself... but since I haven't actually witnessed someone using a double line I'm curious. When I put my previous boy on the field my back wasn't as bad and he was all about prey drive and certainly wasn't at a level of intensity that I'm expecting to see out of Grim. I guess in the thought of what would be easier to handle, I wasn't thinking about the lack of control of a harness.

I guess some of it will become clearer to me when I'm actually working Grim and seeing what he does. I do plan on having a new TLSO brace for my back and knee braces before working him....so the stability should be there on my end. Now I guess the only thought is what will be best for him, as well as control. It looks like there's agreement that the collar gives more control?

Last edited by Jag; 12-19-2012 at 04:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.