German Shepherds Forum banner

looking for dog pack for hiking

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bear L 
#1 ·
For all you hikers and campers out there, what is your experience with dog packs. There is a wide price range so what is your favorite? Heidi is 5 month and we will be hitting the trails this spring so I don't wont to buy till she grows a few more months. Thanks

#2 ·
Here are some previous threads about backpacks, including pictures and reviews:

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/157733-hiking-pack-dogs.html

http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/192813-singletrak-approach.html

I would definitely wait until she's a little older - good quality packs are expensive, so you want to be sure she's not going to grow out of it. I bought Halo's when she was a little less than a year and a half old, and had her wear it empty for awhile before putting any weight in it. She was well within the size range for the one I bought, so I was pretty confident it would still fit her when she was done growing, and it does.

#5 ·
Thank you all for the info.
I was thinking about getting her a cheeper priced rig like the Outward Hound Dog Backpack to start with then move to a nicer pack at 2yr. Most of our hike's will be day hikes and weekend camping trips with some fishing thrown in just so she won't get board.

#7 ·
Thank you all for the info.
I was thinking about getting her a cheeper priced rig like the Outward Hound Dog Backpack to start with then move to a nicer pack at 2yr.
The problem with some of the less expensive packs (including the Outward Hound, I believe) is that due to the way they fit, the weight is carried on the dog's back rather than across the shoulders, which is safer. I think it would be better to get a small daypack or fanny pack for yourself for now, and save up for a good pack when she's older. I got Halo's when she was 16 months old, and put weight in it for the first time when she was 18 months old.

#8 ·
I got a great deal on an Approach bag at 40% off (something like that) when Eddie Bauer was having a 40% storewide sale recently for the holidays. Haven't use it yet. My dog also has the Singletrack, which she's used multiple times. She started wearing the Singletrack around 10 or 11 months old, with nothing in it. Then I added my cell phone, keys and the doggie poop bag. Then finally some water (not all the way filled) before I put more.

One thing I don't like is you've to balance the two sides. If one side is heavier than the other, it will shift. Doesn't seem to bother my dog but it bothers me visually. With the bigger Approach bag, I'm told the problem will be exacerbated. But I want more room (for her to carry more of my stuff... haha) so will try it anyways.

If just a day hike, I think the Singletrack is excellent for that purpose. The dog also looks more approachable to strangers with a backpack on and less like a wild animal (my dog is a sable and goes off leash, people had mistaken it for coyotes since they are common here with signs all over that warn you to watch out for coyotes, quite funny).

Like others said, I'd not buy one till your dog approaches 1. At that age, I wore those fanny packs that also carry water bottles. Save your money for a good bag!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.