I have to get an electric fence :( - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-13-2012, 10:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Member
 
Belmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
Default I have to get an electric fence :(



My GSD is only 4 months old, and I never wanted to use electric corrections on him, but the writing is on the wall that he will eventually jump it.

Should I get this:
Amazon.com: High Tech Pet Humane Contain X-10 Rechargeable Multi-function Electronic Dog Fence: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: High Tech Pet Humane Contain X-10 Rechargeable Multi-function Electronic Dog Fence: Pet Supplies

or

Amazon.com: PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System, PIF-300: Pet Supplies Amazon.com: PetSafe Wireless Pet Containment System, PIF-300: Pet Supplies

Also,

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I think that's the only problem area, but as he grows older, the whole back wall may become a problem, so I'm not sure.

Last edited by Belmont; 12-13-2012 at 10:53 AM.
Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-13-2012, 11:06 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
kiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,326
Default

I have a "hot" wire running off my horse corral to keep the dogs off the rodies along my fence line & garden, it's solar powered. For your purpose you might want to concider putting something on top of that wall, maybe some decorative latice or something.
I don't know if setting up a hot wire infront would keep him off, you could probably set the wire on top. My dogs do respect the wire, it's tuff when they get zapped for the first time. My wire is a pulse not a constant so unless you hold it you wont get zapped, wet noses on the other hand....
Your dog would have no problem getting over that wall.
__________________
Carolyn
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 11:34 AM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
Belmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiya View Post
I have a "hot" wire running off my horse corral to keep the dogs off the rodies along my fence line & garden, it's solar powered. For your purpose you might want to concider putting something on top of that wall, maybe some decorative latice or something.
I don't know if setting up a hot wire infront would keep him off, you could probably set the wire on top. My dogs do respect the wire, it's tuff when they get zapped for the first time. My wire is a pulse not a constant so unless you hold it you wont get zapped, wet noses on the other hand....
Your dog would have no problem getting over that wall.
Going to get the rock tonight after work. It just seems like the easiest solution. I'm pretty sure it's just that corner that is the problem.
Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
I'm pretty sure it's just that corner that is the problem.
Sorry - I have to disagree. Notice how inquisitive & tall your puppy is? If you block just the corner, he'll scale another section. Guaranteed. I like the idea of lattice atop the stone wall. Before using an electric fence.

(oops - broke my own promise of no more posting here - broke my own word! hahahaha
Olivers mama is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Beautiful Pacific NW
Posts: 11,005
Default

If you do electric, do a hot-wire and solar panel as suggested. We have this on the fence line where our escape artists live and they don't escape any longer
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member
 
FlyAway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Cold Midwest
Posts: 713
Default

My dog does the same thing. He just wants to look over at the other side. I actually bought the wire and charger for an electric wire, but never had to install it. After 3 years, my dog just stands and looks over the fence.

I think if you have a good bond and good training, he won't even think about jumping it. I would imagine that a very bored and neglected dog who lives outside 24/7 would jump it, though. So, it depends a lot on the owner.
__________________
"And why do we fall, Bruce? So we can learn to pick ourselves up."
FlyAway is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 03:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
kiya's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Long Island
Posts: 3,326
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyAway View Post
My dog does the same thing. He just wants to look over at the other side. I actually bought the wire and charger for an electric wire, but never had to install it. After 3 years, my dog just stands and looks over the fence.

I think if you have a good bond and good training, he won't even think about jumping it. I would imagine that a very bored and neglected dog who lives outside 24/7 would jump it, though. So, it depends a lot on the owner.
Why take the chance?
I will never forget the night me and my husband were in the kitchen, Lakota was standing aside the kitchen table. In a flash she "hopped" up and all 4's were on the kitchen table. We both stood there speachless.
__________________
Carolyn
Apache - Shiloh Shepherd 12/15/02
Kiya - Shiloh Shepherd 5/15/04
Lakota - WGSD 1/13/10
kiya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:44 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
katdog5911's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: New Milford Ct
Posts: 1,360
Default

We have an e fence. (the underground kind) Stella has gone through it twice at the beginning of her training, but that was a looooong time ago. And she has been very tempted by cats, dogs, balls, bikes etc. She respects the boundaries. My other old guy has never gone through it. Of course, I always keep an eye on her when she is out there!
katdog5911 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)
Member
 
Belmont's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 91
Default

I'll look into the hotwire
Belmont is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 04:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Scarlettsmom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Chesapeake, VA...but longing for CO
Posts: 1,441
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by katdog5911 View Post
We have an e fence. (the underground kind) Stella has gone through it twice at the beginning of her training, but that was a looooong time ago. And she has been very tempted by cats, dogs, balls, bikes etc. She respects the boundaries. My other old guy has never gone through it. Of course, I always keep an eye on her when she is out there!

Our Experience with Invisible fence too. Nope...Not worth it Scarlett says. She took a couple of really unpleasant hits (got caught between a car in the driveway and the wire...she was seriously zapped) and will not even go near the boundary zone...not even for a bunny OR a cat!

In the OP's case, I think a hot wire and training is your best option. You have a physical fence already. I think lattice on the top would look great, but he's still just going to climb over it unless you add another several feet of fencing AND make sure he cannot get a grip to boost himself over.

Smart, curious and determined is a bad combo. These dogs can get themselves into serious trouble and it's our job to keep them safe.
__________________
Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
Scarlettsmom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:37 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset Hound Forum Doberman Forum Golden Retriever Forum Beagle Forum
Boxer Forum Dog Forum Pit Bull Forum Poodle Forum
Bulldog Forum Fish Forum Havanese Forum Maltese Forum
Cat Forum German Shepherd Forum Labradoodle Forum Yorkie Forum Hedgehog Forum
Chihuahua Forum Retriever Breeds Cichlid Forum Dart Frog Forum Mice Breeder Forum