German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   I have to get an electric fence :( (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/196271-i-have-get-electric-fence.html)

Belmont 12-13-2012 09:48 AM

I have to get an electric fence :(

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...33502428_n.jpg

My GSD is only 4 months old, and I never wanted to use electric corrections on him, but the writing is on the wall that he will eventually jump it.

Should I get this:

or

Also,

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

I think that's the only problem area, but as he grows older, the whole back wall may become a problem, so I'm not sure.

kiya 12-13-2012 10:06 AM

I have a "hot" wire running off my horse corral to keep the dogs off the rodies along my fence line & garden, it's solar powered. For your purpose you might want to concider putting something on top of that wall, maybe some decorative latice or something.
I don't know if setting up a hot wire infront would keep him off, you could probably set the wire on top. My dogs do respect the wire, it's tuff when they get zapped for the first time. My wire is a pulse not a constant so unless you hold it you wont get zapped, wet noses on the other hand....
Your dog would have no problem getting over that wall.

Belmont 12-13-2012 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiya (Post 2654426)
I have a "hot" wire running off my horse corral to keep the dogs off the rodies along my fence line & garden, it's solar powered. For your purpose you might want to concider putting something on top of that wall, maybe some decorative latice or something.
I don't know if setting up a hot wire infront would keep him off, you could probably set the wire on top. My dogs do respect the wire, it's tuff when they get zapped for the first time. My wire is a pulse not a constant so unless you hold it you wont get zapped, wet noses on the other hand....
Your dog would have no problem getting over that wall.

Going to get the rock tonight after work. It just seems like the easiest solution. I'm pretty sure it's just that corner that is the problem.

Olivers mama 12-13-2012 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Belmont (Post 2654456)
I'm pretty sure it's just that corner that is the problem.

Sorry - I have to disagree. Notice how inquisitive & tall your puppy is? If you block just the corner, he'll scale another section. Guaranteed. I like the idea of lattice atop the stone wall. Before using an electric fence.

(oops - broke my own promise of no more posting here - broke my own word! hahahaha

msvette2u 12-13-2012 01:24 PM

If you do electric, do a hot-wire and solar panel as suggested. We have this on the fence line where our escape artists live and they don't escape any longer :thumbup:

FlyAway 12-13-2012 01:28 PM

My dog does the same thing. He just wants to look over at the other side. I actually bought the wire and charger for an electric wire, but never had to install it. After 3 years, my dog just stands and looks over the fence.

I think if you have a good bond and good training, he won't even think about jumping it. I would imagine that a very bored and neglected dog who lives outside 24/7 would jump it, though. So, it depends a lot on the owner.

kiya 12-13-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyAway (Post 2654653)
My dog does the same thing. He just wants to look over at the other side. I actually bought the wire and charger for an electric wire, but never had to install it. After 3 years, my dog just stands and looks over the fence.

I think if you have a good bond and good training, he won't even think about jumping it. I would imagine that a very bored and neglected dog who lives outside 24/7 would jump it, though. So, it depends a lot on the owner.

Why take the chance?
I will never forget the night me and my husband were in the kitchen, Lakota was standing aside the kitchen table. In a flash she "hopped" up and all 4's were on the kitchen table. We both stood there speachless.

katdog5911 12-13-2012 03:44 PM

We have an e fence. (the underground kind) Stella has gone through it twice at the beginning of her training, but that was a looooong time ago. And she has been very tempted by cats, dogs, balls, bikes etc. She respects the boundaries. My other old guy has never gone through it. Of course, I always keep an eye on her when she is out there!

Belmont 12-13-2012 03:47 PM

I'll look into the hotwire

Scarlettsmom 12-13-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by katdog5911 (Post 2654770)
We have an e fence. (the underground kind) Stella has gone through it twice at the beginning of her training, but that was a looooong time ago. And she has been very tempted by cats, dogs, balls, bikes etc. She respects the boundaries. My other old guy has never gone through it. Of course, I always keep an eye on her when she is out there!

Our Experience with Invisible fence too. Nope...Not worth it Scarlett says. She took a couple of really unpleasant hits (got caught between a car in the driveway and the wire...she was seriously zapped) and will not even go near the boundary zone...not even for a bunny OR a cat!

In the OP's case, I think a hot wire and training is your best option. You have a physical fence already. I think lattice on the top would look great, but he's still just going to climb over it unless you add another several feet of fencing AND make sure he cannot get a grip to boost himself over.

Smart, curious and determined is a bad combo. These dogs can get themselves into serious trouble and it's our job to keep them safe. :)