Dogs playing while wearing e-collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Dogs playing while wearing e-collar

Would like thoughts on letting a dog without a shock collar on play with a dog who has a shock collar on. Anyone with experience or thoughts?
Thanks.
GSDcalab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

The danger would be the same as two dogs playing that are wearing regular collars. There is always the chance a dog may get caught in the other dog's collar. E-collars are worn rather snug, but there is always a chance.
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

ecollar is a very expensive piece of equipment to possibly get bit/broken by a dog. I believe most are plastic so I can really see a dog biting down and breaking the thing. Other than that I really don't think there is a danger other than what you get with other collars. I'd never let a dog play with a prong on or a choke on, if the other dog gets caught in that collar it might cause some issues due to how those work, but with an ecollar I could just see an expensive broken tool if the other dog bites down on it a bit too hard.
martemchik is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Is there a reason the handler has the ecollar on for playtime? Otherwise I'd remove it as martemchick posted, not worth damaging or causing injury.
Old 12-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #5 (permalink)

When we got our ecollar, the info that came with it said not to only use it when you are training or working with the dog but for them to wear it other times so that they don't get fearful of it. I personally don't have an issue with it but it would make me wonder what kind of control the owner has over their dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
Kdrees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 10:54 PM   #6 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdrees View Post
When we got our ecollar, the info that came with it said not to only use it when you are training or working with the dog but for them to wear it other times so that they don't get fearful of it. I personally don't have an issue with it but it would make me wonder what kind of control the owner has over their dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
That's a huge issue for me right there. I've never had a shepherd that wasn't collar smart. Didn't matter how much a particular collar was used. Ecollars *are* training collars, so only wearing it during training makes more sense. If your dog is fearful of it, then you have the wrong tool for that dog or you need help in how to use it properly IMO. I can't imagine it would be comfortable for a dog to lay with an Ecollar on or a prong on. Both can cause sores on the skin if left on.
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 12:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Member

We use an ecollar. I followed the instruction about leaving it on at times when NOT in training so the dog does not become collar smart. It worked perfectly. We left the collar on randomly for several hours at a time, other than when it was being used for training. Liesl never had a problem with it, and never got averse to us putting it on her. In fact, since I walk her in the evening off leash with the ecollar as a backup control, she associates it with going for a walk and will lick it when I try to put it on her.

We were careful to rotate the location of the contacts (also as the instructions say) to avoid creating sores, and to buckle it a little more loosely when not training with it, for the same reason.

I would not leave it on a dog when playing with another dog. It should not be used when dogs are playing with each other. Find another time to have your dog wear the collar.
billsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 06:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

how old is your dog? do you know how to use an e-collar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDcalab View Post
Would like thoughts on letting a dog without a shock collar on play with a dog who has a shock collar on. Anyone with experience or thoughts?
Thanks.
doggiedad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:01 AM   #9 (permalink)

My dog is a 12 week old female GSD puppy who does not wear a shock collar. My friend's GSD is a male 18 months old wearing a shock collar. The male dog has behavior issues and the owner wants it on him during play " just in case" he gets too rough with my pup.

We have had one play day. The male dog acted ok during the one hour and only got shocked upon introduction. I was very nervous during the play because the male dog weighs 80 pounds and my pup weighs 22 pounds. And, I knew the behavior issue history. But, my friend was ready to pull the trigger at any time.

Thoughts or comments?
GSDcalab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:09 AM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

If your friend's dog, at 18 months, hasn't figured out how to play properly with a dog / puppy why would you try it with an e-collar? And an e-collar should NOT be used for this type of behaviour. What's your friend going to do if his dog thinks the shock comes from your pup? How's his dog going to react then?

An e-collar can be a great tool to use ... if you know what you are doing. By the way I've read your post ... your friend doesn't appear to have a clue how to PROPERLY use an e-collar.

Kyleigh is 18 months, weighs 60 pounds (weighed her last week!) and LOVES to play with a (SIGH from me - so not my "type" of dog) miniature white poodle. She has played with him since she was 12 weeks old and they absolutely ADORE each other. As she grew up / out she learned to temper her manner of play. The poodle has NEVER had to "put her in her place."

Quote:
The male dog has behavior issues
and you'll let this dog play with your puppy???? I think you need to "rethink" your decision ... but that's just my two cents ...
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.