Dogs playing while wearing e-collar - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-11-2012, 09:11 AM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

double post
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #12 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Unless and adult dog was STELLAR in temperament there is no way he would be interacting with my 12 week old puppy. She needs to learn everything from dogs with great temperament. He is not even a mature dog.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 09:27 AM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Nancy, and big dogs can injure young pups just by rolling them while running. Is there a puppy play group or puppy class you can go to if you want to socialize your puppy with other dogs? I wouldn't do a dog park either...not fair to a young pup.
No comment on the ecollar use, it'll just cause a certain person to chime in and get yet another thread closed.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:05 AM   #14 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
the owner wants it on him during play " just in case" he gets too rough with my pup
IMHO this is precisely the wrong way to use an ecollar. When shocked while playing with another dog the dog with the collar doesn't think "Oh, I was playing too rough, I need to scale back". When shocked it thinks "This dog inflicts pain on me whenever I see it, I need to either ramp up my domination of it or slink away and attack it in fearful defense if it approaches me".

Also, Jocoyn is right. The aggressive male needs to be trained (properly) before play is allowed, and your dog is at a crucial stage where it needs to play with nice dogs, not problem ones.
billsharp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 03:57 PM   #15 (permalink)

Thank you everyone for all your comments. I really appreciate it! Just so you know, I did not know that my friend was using a shock collar on her dog until we arrived. She "assured" me that her dog was "cured" of the behavior issues but the collar was needed "just in case" and to protect my pup. I was really nervous the whole time and I am not going to take my pup over there for play day anymore. Too risky. I am not familiar with e-collar training and do not use the method on my pup.

Yes, my pup has some other dogs she plays with and has a great time. She also goes to puppy school. My pup has the BEST temperment and is such a smart little girl. She is just perfect!!!! I feel very fortunate to have found the breeder recommendation from this website.

I will consider myself very lucky that nothing bad happened while playing with the e-collared male. It was very irresponsible of me to allow play once I was told about the e-collar. If I can't protect my pup from potential harm, who can......

Thanks.
GSDcalab is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM   #16 (permalink)
Elite Member

E collar while playing with other dogs has the tenancy to cause dog-dog aggression. Dog might not relate what you're nic'ing him for properly. Instead, dog thinks bad things happen (shocks) when I play with this other dog. Lose-lose situation.

Vida (3years) & Hype, 7 weeks
Kaity is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.