Ecollars help - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-06-2012, 06:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Ecollars help

I just bought e collars for max to fix his minor inside home behavior. I introduced him with #2 stimulation and it seems like he got an idea that when i give him a command he better do it or he'll get shocked. i have no experience with e collars and i am just affraid that using this will make Max scare of things that i dont want him to do. any advise on how to use this device and your experience will really appreciate. i dont want to use this device this everyday because i love max to death and i feel like i am actually huring him or his feeling everytime i shock him. please help!!!
pshah0002 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #2 (permalink)

I'm going to move this thread to the training section

Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
JakodaCD OA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Hi there. I just started ecollar per my trainer's suggestion. Watching Michael Ellis videos on ecollar (3 part series online) and also reviewing the recall video by Michael Ellis where there's a brief section on ecollar helped me. You can do a search for it or let me know if you want me to look up the links.

I use mine everyday on our walks. My dog's feelings are not hurt because of it. She is still her happy-bouncy-walking-with-a-song-in-her-heart self on the walks and gets that the ecollar stims are just a signal for her to do something and better do it because I will follow up even at a distance. It also helped me tremendously with timing issues when working long distance. Today during our off leash walk, after reinforcing her long distance behaviors multiple times (mainly "leave it" and don't-you-dare-go-chase-that-invisible-thing) with ecollar I got the best ever "front" where it was fast and furious with a very tight finish. I didn't stim her to get the front, but just saying, she wasn't depressed by the ecollar and can be amped up for training still. If used right, the dog won't see it as a torture tool, just as an extension of your magical control over the dog. =)

I will say, the first introduction to my dog where I used the pager, it depressed her for hours. She refused treats the first time ever in her life. After that, she went back to normal and turns out to have quite a bit of tolerance for the stims.
Bear L is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
Hi there. I just started ecollar per my trainer's suggestion. Watching Michael Ellis videos on ecollar (3 part series online) and also reviewing the recall video by Michael Ellis where there's a brief section on ecollar helped me. You can do a search for it or let me know if you want me to look up the links.

I use mine everyday on our walks. My dog's feelings are not hurt because of it. She is still her happy-bouncy-walking-with-a-song-in-her-heart self on the walks and gets that the ecollar stims are just a signal for her to do something and better do it because I will follow up even at a distance. It also helped me tremendously with timing issues when working long distance. Today during our off leash walk, after reinforcing her long distance behaviors multiple times (mainly "leave it" and don't-you-dare-go-chase-that-invisible-thing) with ecollar I got the best ever "front" where it was fast and furious with a very tight finish. I didn't stim her to get the front, but just saying, she wasn't depressed by the ecollar and can be amped up for training still. If used right, the dog won't see it as a torture tool, just as an extension of your magical control over the dog. =)

I will say, the first introduction to my dog where I used the pager, it depressed her for hours. She refused treats the first time ever in her life. After that, she went back to normal and turns out to have quite a bit of tolerance for the stims.
I only found first chapter of that video. can you find me a link for other two. Also, how did you introduce your dog to it. can you tell me more about your expereince.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Please thoroughly review how to use an e-collar before you start going around zapping your dog. They are a great tool when used correctly (which you most certainly are not) and can cause a LOT of issues when used poorly.
GSDElsa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

Here's the link to the 3 chapters. It's $25 per chapter. Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory

I followed the video's ecollar progression - leash pressure, command with leash pressure, command then leash pressure with ecollar, ecollar then command and with leash pressure if necessary, then finally just command and ecollar (command/ecollar order at this stage depends on what I'm working on and what communicates to the dog best - used as a correction or to reinforce immediate compliance on first command). Keep in mind that the main reason I need ecollar is for off leash control - mainly recalls, leave it, emergency downs and waits. I started with the recall on ecollar and once she gets what the ecollar is for, I start to use it for other commands. The video explains the conditioning process and how to set it at the right level.

If the dog is close by, like inside a house, I rarely use ecollar because I can get her attention easily other ways. What is the minor inside problem you have? Perhaps people on the forum can suggest alternatives to ecollar, especially if minor.
Bear L is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
Please thoroughly review how to use an e-collar before you start going around zapping your dog. They are a great tool when used correctly (which you most certainly are not) and can cause a LOT of issues when used poorly.
This.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
Here's the link to the 3 chapters. It's $25 per chapter. Leerburg On Demand | Michael Ellis Remote Collar Theory

I followed the video's ecollar progression - leash pressure, command with leash pressure, command then leash pressure with ecollar, ecollar then command and with leash pressure if necessary, then finally just command and ecollar (command/ecollar order at this stage depends on what I'm working on and what communicates to the dog best - used as a correction or to reinforce immediate compliance on first command). Keep in mind that the main reason I need ecollar is for off leash control - mainly recalls, leave it, emergency downs and waits. I started with the recall on ecollar and once she gets what the ecollar is for, I start to use it for other commands. The video explains the conditioning process and how to set it at the right level.

If the dog is close by, like inside a house, I rarely use ecollar because I can get her attention easily other ways. What is the minor inside problem you have? Perhaps people on the forum can suggest alternatives to ecollar, especially if minor.
some of the problem inside house includes running like crazy back and forth i mean literally for at least 2-3 minutes fast continuously, grab socks and towels in mouth and run, unexpectly start nipping me, start following me wherever i go (doesnt listen to stay command), etc.

I kept him inside with ecollar today for couple hours and i felt like i was in heaven, he just sat there and chewed on his antler and then fall a sleep. i was surprise to watch Tv without getting up 20 times. Let me clear that I didnt used any shock on him i just pressed negative tone button and he behaved well thinkinh that shock is coming if ii dont behave well. I hope this work without me giving him shocks (that's the last thing i want to do, because everytime i shock him i felt guilty for doing that). thanks for your help.
Old 12-06-2012, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This thread disturbs me. You have a puppy!!! Why are you shocking him to stop him from being a puppy? Don't you have a crate? That is where I'd put my pup if I needed a couple hours to chill. But I surely wouldn't use an e-collar.
By the way, I use an e-collar and it took a few months of foundation training before I actually used it in exercises.

Please re-read this as it is very important if you are going to continue to use it...
*******Please thoroughly review how to use an e-collar before you start going around zapping your dog. They are a great tool when used correctly (which you most certainly are not) and can cause a LOT of issues when used poorly.****
Old 12-06-2012, 10:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshah0002 View Post
some of the problem inside house includes running like crazy back and forth i mean literally for at least 2-3 minutes fast continuously, grab socks and towels in mouth and run, unexpectly start nipping me, start following me wherever i go (doesnt listen to stay command), etc.

I kept him inside with ecollar today for couple hours and i felt like i was in heaven, he just sat there and chewed on his antler and then fall a sleep. i was surprise to watch Tv without getting up 20 times. Let me clear that I didnt used any shock on him i just pressed negative tone button and he behaved well thinkinh that shock is coming if ii dont behave well. I hope this work without me giving him shocks (that's the last thing i want to do, because everytime i shock him i felt guilty for doing that). thanks for your help.
Please educate yourself on puppy behavior.
You are punishing a puppy for running in the house, when it is more than likely because you did not provide adequate exercise to get the puppy tired.
Get an expen or a crate and put him in there if you want him to learn to be calm in the house.
He follows you around because you are his whole world.
He wants companionship and wants to play. YOU removed him from his mother and his litter mates and you are all he has right now.

Please do right by this puppy you took into your home and learn how to deal with him.
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.