Ecollars help - Page 7 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #61 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Lou has chimed in...others have suggested Lou. I think the OP understands that Lou's site is the place to go for the info. Whether or not she follows through consistently on the training will be key.
But before Lou posted, the OP had already been zapping her 14 month old pup for having the zoomies.
Another example of permissive society...because the dog is "only 14 months old" - it should be allowed to act like an ass in the house?

"Zoomies" - cute term. Not so cute when a large uncontrolled dog whips thru the house, destroying things in its path. Might be fine with some people. Not with me. Nor is the addition of teeth. I hope the OP talks with Sgt Castle before the new-found trainer starts next month. (I also hope it's a decent trainer). Trainers we found were **** (is that a bad term on this forum?! Admin note: Yes!) This is much like Monday-morning quarterbacking.

Last edited by Castlemaid; 12-09-2012 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Hiding rude language within Acronyms still considered swearing.
Olivers mama is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-08-2012, 06:06 PM   #62 (permalink)
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 23,328
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
Another example of permissive society...because the dog is "only 14 months old" - it should be allowed to act like an ass in the house?

"Zoomies" - cute term. Not so cute when a large uncontrolled dog whips thru the house, destroying things in its path. Might be fine with some people. Not with me. Nor is the addition of teeth. I hope the OP talks with Sgt Castle before the new-found trainer starts next month. (I also hope it's a decent trainer). Trainers we found were POS' (is that a bad term on this forum?!) This is much like Monday-morning quarterbacking.
You are placing words that I never, ever used into my post. I personally don't think a 14 month old running through the house is "acting like an ass". Dogs will be dogs after all. When my dogs need outlet for energy it is outside time or "lets train" time, not get out the ecollar time.

But giving it a correction via ecollar for that IMO is a bit over the top because there are many other ways of "controlling" a young dog.
It isn't about THE ecollar but the way it was used and the OP not knowing enough before using it.
__________________
Jane~
Kept by Onyx, Kacie and Gideon v Wildhaus aka Karlo
onyx'girl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 12:01 AM   #63 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
You are placing words that I never, ever used into my post. I personally don't think a 14 month old running through the house is "acting like an ass". Dogs will be dogs after all. When my dogs need outlet for energy it is outside time or "lets train" time, not get out the ecollar time.

But giving it a correction via ecollar for that IMO is a bit over the top because there are many other ways of "controlling" a young dog.
It isn't about THE ecollar but the way it was used and the OP not knowing enough before using it.
So we have a difference of opinion. With all the fancy training spewed here, I'm personally amazed that a big dog running thru-out the house is "OK". At least you say it's Your Opinion that using an ecollar is inappropriate. Using the collar on a 4-month-old is inappropriate. Using it on an older dog is not. The running thru-out the house is only a small piece, I think. I think the dog probably has other times when he's acting wild.

Personally, *I* do not like Ziva running thru the house. At 88 lbs, she'd run thru you like a bull - if allowed to. In the 2 years we've had her, we either have to bring her in on a short lead, or block her butt all the way down the hallway - or she charges like a bull. And altho that behavior may only be slightly irritating, the fact that she could mow over 1 of my cats & hurt them is unacceptable. That behavior may be OK with some - it is not for me & obviously not with the OP. I don't think that's a bad thing, either.

In fact, if it weren't for my huge medical expenses (thank you, Cancer), I'd have an ecollar AND Sgt Castle at my house tomorrow. Our case may be different, as we're dealing with an abused Rescue, not a young dog raised from a pup in the house. No matter - in the end, we all look for that well-behaved dog.

We should agree to disagree. I'm already aware I am in the minority. And that's OK. My expected lifespan isn't as long as everyone else's. Whatever time I have left, I want a well-behaved dog & I inSIST my cats be safe from a running bull in the house. As I said earlier, I hope the OP visits Sgt Castle's forum & perhaps even talk with him prior to this trainer that was found.

To the OP - BEST WISHES for the upcoming training. Please let us know how things evolve.
Olivers mama is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #64 (permalink)
Member
 
robfromga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 64
Default

Please dear God toss that collar in the dumpster. If you have a puppy that NEEDS a ecollar, you have a huge problem. 99.99% of dogs that are forced into submission have owners that don't understand dog or bread behavior. You have a HUGE communication problem with the dog.
robfromga is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #65 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,020
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfromga View Post
Please dear God toss that collar in the dumpster. If you have a puppy that NEEDS a ecollar, you have a huge problem. 99.99% of dogs that are forced into submission have owners that don't understand dog or bread behavior. You have a HUGE communication problem with the dog.
Anyone who thinks that modern use of modern Ecollars involves "forc[ing a dog] into submission" is demonstrating how little they know about how the tool can be used.
__________________
Regards,

Lou Castle, Los Angeles, CA
uncllou@aol.com
www.loucastle.com
LouCastle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 01:05 PM   #66 (permalink)
JPF
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Northern California
Posts: 189
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCastle View Post
Anyone who thinks that modern use of modern Ecollars involves "forc[ing a dog] into submission" is demonstrating how little they know about how the tool can be used.
So true. Our dog is almost 2 and we have been using the e collar with him since he was around 1.5. It has literally changed his life. He is dog reactive and couldn't be trusted 100% off lead with other dogs around. Working with a professional trainer to introduce the e collar we now are able to take him anywhere. His recall is 100% and he will interact nicely with other dogs or ignore them completely. Whereas before we would not take him anywhere other dogs could be around, he can now go.

I would agree that starting out with an e collar, a professional trainer is great but not totally necessary.

Also for anyone thinking they are cruel should try one on themselves. At the normal "working level" it feels like one of those muscle stimulation machines (anyone who's has physical therapy would be familiar). Unless he is highly stimulated this level gets his attention. Rarely do i have to move the dial.

Just my 2 cents...
JPF is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #67 (permalink)
Member
 
robfromga's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 64
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCastle View Post
Anyone who thinks that modern use of modern Ecollars involves "forc[ing a dog] into submission" is demonstrating how little they know about how the tool can be used.
Really ? The 8-10 sheps and the mals that I've owned or fostered must have been exceptions. The ecollar is a total last resort. If you have to rely on shocking your dog to listen then your training methods needs dressing up.

Have at it though, not my animals. Guess you should get out the belt for the 3 year old that talks back too. The ecollar is a crutch for the trainer that can't devote the time a animal needs.

Try working the dog, work his tail end off. Figure out what he's good at and capitalize on it. When he's tired, then train. Or you can just whoop him real guud!
robfromga is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 05:39 PM   #68 (permalink)
Knighted Member
 
Jack's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
Posts: 2,083
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfromga View Post
Or you can just whoop him real guud!
You can whoop up on old Lou Castle real guud, if ya'll wants to.

However you might at least look at his credentials first.

Loucastle.com or just google Lou Castle.

You probably still won't like e-collars but Lou probably forgot more about dogs than a lot of us ever knew.
Jack's Dad is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:26 PM   #69 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Olivers mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Roseville, CA
Posts: 455
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robfromga View Post
Really ? The 8-10 sheps and the mals that I've owned or fostered must have been exceptions. The ecollar is a total last resort. If you have to rely on shocking your dog to listen then your training methods needs dressing up.

Have at it though, not my animals. Guess you should get out the belt for the 3 year old that talks back too. The ecollar is a crutch for the trainer that can't devote the time a animal needs.

Try working the dog, work his tail end off. Figure out what he's good at and capitalize on it. When he's tired, then train. Or you can just whoop him real guud!
Just what this topic needs --- more sarcasm. The ecollar is not a crutch, but a tool. Never hurts to keep one's mind open or gather a little more education for oneself.

I take it you are of the age group that never "got the belt". Well, for most of us that did, it wasn't abuse, it didn't kill us, & most of us learned not to repeat whatever action we did to get the belt in the first place. At least, I did. No one's talking about a "whooping" here. It's obvious you know next to nothing how these collars are used.*** very rude commend removed by ADMIN**.
Olivers mama is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2012, 06:56 PM   #70 (permalink)
Elite Member
 
ShatteringGlass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,005
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
This is the zoomies, excellent description of it!!
Does this warrant using an e-collar? Or is it an easy way out? She could be playing with or crating or training the young dog, no need to use an e-collar for this behavior. I don't think anyone ever said anything about high stim or yelping, etc....those are your words only. Zapping, IMO is shocking the dog....at whatever level.
The opening post by the OP that stated she used shock not stim before knowing what she was doing with the collar~therefore the comments. And because we have no clue what collar she purchased, that can make a difference as well. Many are not consistent.

So now the OP has been informed of where to go for info. I hope she follows through in all fairness to her dog.

I find it intersting that you bolded every word except a really important one: NIPPING. The dog is biting when it get's its "zoomies". Also, we don't know if the OP has young kids. A large dog running around, nipping, and not listening is dangerous, especially if you had kids or guests, or maybe grandma and grandpa come over to visit. "Zoomies" are acceptable OUTSIDE behavior, not inside the house, IMO.
__________________
Kelly
Dalmatians:
FOREVER in my heart:
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
ShatteringGlass is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:34 PM.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
SEO by vBSEO 3.3.2
PetGuide.com
Basset.net DobermanTalk.com GoldenRetrieverForum.com OurBeagleWorld.com
BoxerForums.com DogForums.com GoPitbull.com PoodleForum.com
BulldogBreeds.com FishForums.com HavaneseForum.com SpoiledMaltese.com
CatForum.com GermanShepherds.com Labradoodle-dogs.net YorkieForum.com
Chihuahua-People.com RetrieverBreeds.com