Ecollars help - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2012, 11:36 AM   #51 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olivers mama View Post
I also was against the ecollars - UNTIL I WENT TO LOU'S FORUM. This man is a genius with years & years of frontline experience. He's not a fly-by-night turd looking to bilk $$ from those watching his "videos".
If I ever need a publicist, I know where to look. Lol. I'm no genius though. I've just was fortunate that I fell in with some of the best trainers in my field, and it was their ethos to share their information with anyone who asked. I've made far more than my share of mistakes. I like to think that most of them are behind me.

Lou Castle, Los Angeles, CA
uncllou@aol.com
www.loucastle.com
LouCastle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #52 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Olivers' momma...the people who've posted on this thread are not anti e-collar nay-sayers. They(we) are telling the OP that learning how to use it effectively is very important! Starting a thread on how to use it is not going to work. From what I've read the OP wants a quick easy fix and with this breed there is none. Slow strong foundation training is what's needed in every aspect of training.
I've often heard the term "quick fix" applied to the Ecollar. The term usually means something that works very quickly but does not last, such as putting duct tape on a leaky radiator hose to get the car home, until a permanent repair can be made. While the Ecollar does give very quick results, it hardly meets the "temporary" definition. It's at least as lasting as any other method and when applied properly, probably longer lasting.

It's not necessary to "start a thread [here] on how to use it." My articles are available with a click of the mouse. I'll disagree that "Slow strong foundation is what's needed in every aspect of training." There's no advantage to "slow," in fact, most people DON'T WANT slow. The Ecollar gives results very quickly and much other foundation work can be done very quickly.

Lou Castle, Los Angeles, CA
uncllou@aol.com
www.loucastle.com
LouCastle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:57 AM   #53 (permalink)
Crowned Member

A shaky foundation is just that....will it hold up in the long run? I'd rather do it with the bigger picture in mind and proof it. That to me is training "applied properly". Which for me is going slower to make sure my dog is understanding the exercises and then proofing them with distractions.
I didn't say the ecollar is a quick fix, just that the OP wants a quick fix and thinks the collar will do it instead of actually training/working with the dog!
If we all had a remote in our hands, I could just see how well all the dogs in the world would be, especially if the remotes were in the wrong hands.
If people do not understand the use for it, and just put it on the dog to correct a behavior is that good? I'd hope they'd learn about the training methods before experimenting on the dog, it is only fair.

Timing is very important in the correction and having someone that is versed in ecollar training to help a novice is a bad thing why?
The OP had been given the advice to clik on your site. That is good advice.
Not sure why you always have to over-analyze everyone's posts?
Old 12-08-2012, 12:02 PM   #54 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

And once the OP posted the great information on what he wanted it for, and was able to get (and thankfully was good about accepting) feedback about it, it wasn't anything that you would really want to correct the dog for - playing. Like bonking a kid for having zoomies too.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #55 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
This is the zoomies, excellent description of it!!
Does this warrant using an e-collar? Or is it an easy way out? She could be playing with or crating or training the young dog, no need to use an e-collar for this behavior. I don't think anyone ever said anything about high stim or yelping, etc....those are your words only. Zapping, IMO is shocking the dog....at whatever level.
The opening post by the OP that stated she used shock not stim before knowing what she was doing with the collar~therefore the comments. And because we have no clue what collar she purchased, that can make a difference as well. Many are not consistent.

So now the OP has been informed of where to go for info. I hope she follows through in all fairness to her dog.
Jane, where was this post from the OP? I never saw this one. I was a bit confused when people were saying it was a pup, because the first post I saw never said anything about the age, or what you quoted above. Did some get deleted?

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #56 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshah0002 View Post
some of the problem inside house includes running like crazy back and forth i mean literally for at least 2-3 minutes fast continuously, grab socks and towels in mouth and run, unexpectly start nipping me, start following me wherever i go (doesnt listen to stay command), etc.

I kept him inside with ecollar today for couple hours and i felt like i was in heaven, he just sat there and chewed on his antler and then fall a sleep. i was surprise to watch Tv without getting up 20 times. Let me clear that I didnt used any shock on him i just pressed negative tone button and he behaved well thinkinh that shock is coming if ii dont behave well. I hope this work without me giving him shocks (that's the last thing i want to do, because everytime i shock him i felt guilty for doing that). thanks for your help.
Here it is. I think the dog is 13 months? Something young. Of course, it can be a lot, but then when they get old, you just wish for a day that they would do all that!
Old 12-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #57 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Oh yes.

I just went back through the whole thread, and I can not find that post. Am I just dumb? LOL Or do I need more coffee? Did it get deleted?

Nvmnd. I saw it finally. Heh.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 12:48 PM   #58 (permalink)

Ecollars help

Should take you to it - post 8 there is a big quote above it.

Well, for anyone else looking.
Old 12-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #59 (permalink)
Elite Member

I loved the zoomies when Stella was younger. She will still get them once in a while but not daily anymore. I used to let her zoom and just get into it with her. Fortunately we have a basement where she could zoom around without knocking over too much stuff. When it looked like she was about done, I would give her a nice calming belly rub. I didn't discipline her for this behavior.
I have started using an e collar for "nonsense barking" in the yard. Spoke to my trainer in correct usage. I plan on using it in the future for recall. It seems to be a very effective tool when used properly. My son used an e collar on his dog a while back without any training....BIG MISTAKE. Fortunately he stopped before things went bad. So, I think an e collar has its place. Maybe they are not for everyone and every dog, but it is working well for us in this situation.
katdog5911 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 03:18 PM   #60 (permalink)
Master Member

OP's dog is about 14 or 15 months old, based on her other posts. IMO, old enough for ecollar, though maybe not right for the situation she needs it for.

I appreciate Lou's open minded posts about how he views ecollar. Although I did not start ecollar with Lou's method (Michael Ellis), I do see some similarities. For most things, you can fix it with various methods and sometimes not one is better than the other, it really depends what a person has access to (learn and train) and can use effectively between themselves and the dogs.

My experience of starting the dog onto ecollar was not slow. Not because I rushed it but the dog got each steps pretty quickly so I just went to the next. I believe the rate of how fast one goes depends on many factors and it's hard to judge the effectiveness simply by the rate of progression alone.
Bear L is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.