Ecollars help - Page 5 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 10:24 PM   #41 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ummm....long after I started posting about that. I wasn't referring to you. What page did you post that on.....3? (This is in response to Oliver's mama)

Edit, actually page 4.

Jane, my posts were in reference to the first several the op received.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-08-2012, 08:04 AM   #42 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
Lou has chimed in...others have suggested Lou. I think the OP understands that Lou's site is the place to go for the info. Whether or not she follows through consistently on the training will be key.
But before Lou posted, the OP had already been zapping her 14 month old pup for having the zoomies.
When I hear someone use the term "zapping", I assume that they mean the stim is extremely high and painful. I really don't think the OP was "zapping" since he/she didn't describe the dog's reaction like most dogs would react to being "zapped" at high stim (yelping, jumping, avoidance, stressing, etc). And what's wrong with wanting your dog to behave in the house? The OP said the dog was running, grabbing things he wasn't supposed to, nipping. To me, that's not appropriate and it's not just having the zoomies, especially if the dog is nipping at people.
Sydney
CH Erin N Shamrock's S Hemisphere CD RN CGC
8/14/98-1/12/13

(1/3 UWP) U-CH Shamrock's Shippin Up To Boston RN CA NJ-N TT CGC "Shane" (4yrs)

"Ocean" Alabama craigslist dump (2yrs)
ShatteringGlass is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:11 AM   #43 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShatteringGlass View Post
When I hear someone use the term "zapping", I assume that they mean the stim is extremely high and painful. I really don't think the OP was "zapping" since he/she didn't describe the dog's reaction like most dogs would react to being "zapped" at high stim (yelping, jumping, avoidance, stressing, etc). And what's wrong with wanting your dog to behave in the house? The OP said the dog was running, grabbing things he wasn't supposed to, nipping. To me, that's not appropriate and it's not just having the zoomies, especially if the dog is nipping at people.
Quote:
some of the problem inside house includes running like crazy back and forth i mean literally for at least 2-3 minutes fast continuously, grab socks and towels in mouth and run, unexpectly start nipping me, start following me wherever i go (doesnt listen to stay command), etc.
This is the zoomies, excellent description of it!!
Does this warrant using an e-collar? Or is it an easy way out? She could be playing with or crating or training the young dog, no need to use an e-collar for this behavior. I don't think anyone ever said anything about high stim or yelping, etc....those are your words only. Zapping, IMO is shocking the dog....at whatever level.
The opening post by the OP that stated she used shock not stim before knowing what she was doing with the collar~therefore the comments. And because we have no clue what collar she purchased, that can make a difference as well. Many are not consistent.
Quote:
**I just bought e collars for max to fix his minor inside home behavior. I introduced him with #2 stimulation and it seems like he got an idea that when i give him a command he better do it or he'll get shocked. i have no experience with e collars**
So now the OP has been informed of where to go for info. I hope she follows through in all fairness to her dog.

Last edited by onyx'girl; 12-08-2012 at 09:15 AM.
onyx'girl is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #44 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Yes, the bottom line is those are fun behaviors for a dog, that involve the patience and humor of the pet owner. Those two things mean that you can do what is needed for training - those 3 D's that involve time and proofing. The three D?s of dog training and why you need to know about them | Dog Star Daily

Dogs that love to zoom, love to grab potholders and socks and important papers and help you wrap presents are dogs that you can enjoy! Last night my youngest, smallest dog (30#) did try to help me wrap presents. At first, because I was being so human (need to get this done, got to do it right) I was uptight. Then I looked at the joy in his face as he saw that big, moving paper and shiny bags of bows (bow toys???) and yay I dropped the tape wheeeeeee around the kitchen with that - and I ended up laughing so hard that my presents looked like they had been wrapped by a 2 year old. Had I been serious about wanting to do it well, I would have put him in his crate and given him something to do in there - he has a lot of energy and it needs to burn off.

OP, take a look at this article: Relationship based Approach to Training | Suzanne Clothier and see where you can go from there. And more of her articles here: Articles | Suzanne Clothier
Old 12-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #45 (permalink)

i have found trainer who is willing to help me with this. I dont think we will be using e collar. he's booked up for a month, so the training doesnt start till mid next month. thank you all who tried to help me.
pshah0002 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #46 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Yay!! Wishing you and your pup the best! In the meantime there are several threads in the training forums to read!
Old 12-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #47 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshah0002 View Post
i have found trainer who is willing to help me with this. I dont think we will be using e collar. he's booked up for a month, so the training doesnt start till mid next month. thank you all who tried to help me.
Good.
You may want to exercise your dog more.
The behaviors you describe are those of a dog who has excess energy that he needs to expend.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #48 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Good.
You may want to exercise your dog more.
The behaviors you describe are those of a dog who has excess energy that he needs to expend.

Thank you. currently doing 45 - 60 mins a day. will increase it lil more.
pshah0002 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:34 AM   #49 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
When it comes to e-collar training, there is a difference in instructing
Why is it any different than offering instruction on other methods? Thousands of books have been written on training with all kinds of methods. How is it that this sort of thing won't work with the Ecollar?

Quote:
I inform myself all the time, because I'd rather do my own research than just read a number of opinions from people I have no idea if they even know what they are writing about.
How do you know that your method of "inform[ing your]self," is not just bringing you "opinions from people [that you] have no idea if they even know what they are writing about?"

Quote:
There are some things w/ training that should be left to the professionals instructing hands on...and this is one of them.
Why is it that you think that the "training" with the Ecollar "should be left to the professionals instructing hands on...?" Why is it OK that people give instructions on other methods here, but not on the Ecollar.

Lou Castle, Los Angeles, CA
uncllou@aol.com
www.loucastle.com
LouCastle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 11:35 AM   #50 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
I'm sorry you do not like my post, but I do not give training advice on the use of ecollars any way shape or form over the internet nor do I endorse a particular trainer video or book.
Do you "give training advice ... over the internet" on the use of any other tool? If so, why is that OK, but giving advice on the Ecollar is not? If you don't, disregard this question.

Lou Castle, Los Angeles, CA
uncllou@aol.com
www.loucastle.com
LouCastle is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.