Ecollars help - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #31 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Well, thanks for the critique, but I actually took the time to PM Lou Castle and linked this post, telling him that someone could benefit from his expertise.

You never know what happens behind the scenes, and can't tell if someone did or did not actually do something to help in addition to what you see posted.
Thank you - I've done the same thing when there's an ecollar question.

To the OP - this is just a personal opinion (don't want to stomp on the toes of the Ellis fans). I also bought the Ellis videos. I couldn't GIVE them away, so I tossed 'em. Sgt Lou Castle is the Best around & there's no crapola with him. Go to him, please.

BTW - when you bring up this topic - there will ALWAYS be those that are against their usage. Personally, I wish the nay-sayers would just avoid these threads - they don't like the collars & will never find anything good to say about them. Just come here to fight, IMO.

I also was against the ecollars - UNTIL I WENT TO LOU'S FORUM. This man is a genius with years & years of frontline experience. He's not a fly-by-night turd looking to bilk $$ from those watching his "videos".

Last edited by Olivers mama; 12-07-2012 at 09:44 PM.
Olivers mama is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 09:52 PM   #32 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Olivers' momma...the people who've posted on this thread are not anti e-collar nay-sayers. They(we) are telling the OP that learning how to use it effectively is very important! Starting a thread on how to use it is not going to work. From what I've read the OP wants a quick easy fix and with this breed there is none. Slow strong foundation training is what's needed in every aspect of training.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:02 PM   #33 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Well, if you read the post, they said they were scared of using it incorrectly, and they loved their dog to death and they were afraid of ruining him. This sounds to me like someone who just doesn't understand as much as many on this board. They were willing to come and ask for help here, and instead of the posts reading "Ecollars are excellent tools when used properly, please research some qualified trainers, talk to their clients and get some help in person, because it's too hard to teach this method and learn this method over the internet", they were told to "Stop and review the proper method of ecollars". Where? Where else to ask but a GSD forum? Obviously they don't know what ecollars are about. Maybe someone they know and respect in other venues advised them to get one.

I can tell you right now, some of my best friends in the world, highly educated, highly responsible and empathetic people in almost every way, have absolutely no freakin clue about how to raise a dog. As much as I love them, I actually think it may be a blessing that their oldest son is highly allergic to dogs, based upon behavior I've seen them exhibit at my house towards Rocket. Luckily I have a stable solid dog who just takes it in stride, albeit with a confused "Wha..?" The point being, as has been mentioned before, we all start somewhere and they at least had the instinct that they're not doing it right, therefore prompting the post here.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by RocketDog; 12-07-2012 at 10:06 PM.
RocketDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:07 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Um, no it's not about a closed club. I am simply not into myself enough to feel I am in a position to be giving strangers on the internet advice on the use of ecollars.
GSDElsa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:10 PM   #35 (permalink)

Oh, I LOVE the fact the OP came here for help! I just wanted to make sure some of the negative comments the OP has already gotten & those she hasn't gotten yet will not cause her to leave. Been there, done that. The use of the ecollar is probably the hottest topic here & causes the biggest clashes.

I don't think I was out of line for giving her the warning that this topic may spark controversy. She already saw it for herself & was going to return the collar... My suggestion was that Lou Castle be contacted.

And, as far as finding a topic that fits one's needs - in a forum as large as this - that truly is searching for a needle in a haystack. I'm VERY glad the OP came here.
Old 12-07-2012, 10:12 PM   #36 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
But why didn't you just say that in the beginning? The "Simply stop what you're doing and please find a qualified trainer to help you in person?"

The bolded sentence is what is frustrating for people. It is almost like there is a "closed club" of "in" people, who know what they're doing and don't want to share any info with us lesser "pet" owners. Fine if you don't want to endorse a particular book, video or trainer. But just telling someone to "review" doesn't really tell them anything, let alone help them to find the right direction.

It's not about whether *I* like it or not.
Quote:
Well, if you read the post, they said they were scared of using it incorrectly, and they loved their dog to death and they were afraid of ruining him. This sounds to me like someone who just doesn't understand as much as many on this board. They were willing to come and ask for help here, and instead of the posts reading "Ecollars are excellent tools when used properly, please research some qualified trainers, talk to their clients and get some help in person, because it's too hard to teach this method and learn this method over the internet", they were told to "Stop and review the proper method of ecollars". Where? Where else to ask but a GSD forum? Obviously they don't know what ecollars are about. Maybe someone they know and respect in other venues advised them to get one.

I can tell you right now, some of my best friends in the world, highly educated, highly responsible and empathetic people in almost every way, have absolutely no freakin clue about how to raise a dog. As much as I love them, I actually think it may be a blessing that their oldest son is highly allergic to dogs, based upon behavior I've seen them exhibit at my house towards Rocket. Luckily I have a stable solid dog who just takes it in stride, albeit with a confused "Wha..?" The point being, as has been mentioned before, we all start somewhere and they at least had the instinct that they're not doing it right, therefore prompting the post here.

This is what I'm saying.....again.

I'm done. Obviously people just read what they want. If you don't want to offer a suggestion, why bother posting? You don't have to give instructions or endorse, simply say certain methods require hands-on knowledge from experienced people to gain the most.

Old 12-07-2012, 10:20 PM   #37 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I did offer a suggestion. Stop what youre doing
GSDElsa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:21 PM   #38 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Ok, I LOL'd at that. But surely you understand my point.....

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
This is what I'm saying.....again.

I'm done. Obviously people just read what they want. If you don't want to offer a suggestion, why bother posting? You don't have to give instructions or endorse, simply say certain methods require hands-on knowledge from experienced people to gain the most.

Is it a full moon or something?

I DID offer a suggestion - to contact Lou Castle! You can't just read about how to use ecollars & expect to use them correctly. So I suggested Sgt Castle.

Geez...
Old 12-07-2012, 10:23 PM   #40 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Lou has chimed in...others have suggested Lou. I think the OP understands that Lou's site is the place to go for the info. Whether or not she follows through consistently on the training will be key.
But before Lou posted, the OP had already been zapping her 14 month old pup for having the zoomies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.