Ecollars help - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #21 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshah0002 View Post
WOW!!!. I was really surprised with the replies. Nobody actual gave me suggestion or provided any help instead you all just went off and made me feel like i hate my dog and ii am ttrying to punish him. I love my dog more than anyone love their dog(s) on this site. Max is my first ever dog in my family. All I wanted to know was should i use this? is this a good tool? Safe to use? how to use it? but rreplies were shocking. By the way, i am returning my e collar back to amazon.com and I will see what other things i can do to make Max a happy family dog.
Sometimes people on forums do get upset when someone comes after the fact and asks for advice, without having done their research first, especially when it involves doing something to the dog that is perceived as detrimental.

Things such as zapping a dog for following the owner around show lack of knowledge about dog behavior, and owners have a responsibility to inform themselves even if it is their first dog.
This site has so many old threads with hundreds of pages of how-to, and it is easy to inform yourself.

Had you asked before ever doing anything, the replies would not have been "shocking."

All of your above questions would be answered much better than any of us could, if you go to a website where they specialize in e collar training and ask the professionals there.

Last edited by Sunflowers; 12-07-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Sunflowers is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 07:48 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Well, thanks for the critique, but I actually took the time to PM Lou Castle and linked this post, telling him that someone could benefit from his expertise.

You never know what happens behind the scenes, and can't tell if someone did or did not actually do something to help in addition to what you see posted.
Thank you!! i wish someone had told me about Lou Castle earlier. Is this a paid memebership??
pshah0002 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 07:51 PM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

You are welcome.
Here you go.
Home
Old 12-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #24 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunflowers View Post
Well, thanks for the critique, but I actually took the time to PM Lou Castle and linked this post, telling him that someone could benefit from his expertise.

You never know what happens behind the scenes, and can't tell if someone did or did not actually do something to help in addition to what you see posted.
I didn't "critique" your post, but offering a one word post that consists of:

"This",

really doesn't help the OP in any way that I can see. It basically ONLY offers your own "critique" of the first original post. If you like Lou's methods, you could simply have linked that site in that very first post, stating that here was a starting place for the OP to do some research.

Since people seem moody today, I'm going to qualify this by saying that this isn't meant to sound rude; but when someone posts asking for information, saying to them "Please do some research and inform yourself" seems like a rather rude oxymoron in itself. I mean, they're posting here FOR information. Pointing them to internet sites, as well as offering one's thoughts on ecollars, is more helpful than just the thoughts/opinions alone.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/

Last edited by RocketDog; 12-07-2012 at 08:18 PM.
RocketDog is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #25 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When it comes to e-collar training, there is a difference in instructing~ so offering the OP on how to train her dog is going to take months of instruction if it is done right. Some things cannot be trained on a forum.
I inform myself all the time, because I'd rather do my own research than just read a number of opinions from people I have no idea if they even know what they are writing about.
There are some things w/ training that should be left to the professionals instructing hands on...and this is one of them.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:27 PM   #26 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Too late to edit, but I should've added:
I mean how was anyone, especially the OP, supposed to know that you p.m'd . someone else for help?

Old 12-07-2012, 08:29 PM   #27 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
When it comes to e-collar training, there is a difference in instructing~ so offering the OP on how to train her dog is going to take months of instruction if it is done right. Some things cannot be trained on a forum.
I inform myself all the time, because I'd rather do my own research than just read a number of opinions from people I have no idea if they even know what they are writing about.
There are some things w/ training that should be left to the professionals instructing hands on...and this is one of them.
I agree Jane and that's a fine sentiment. However, in the couple of posts that I'm basically thinking of, nowhere in either of those posts did they mention seeking a professional trainer. They just said to do some research, which is what the OP thought they were probably doing by posting asking for information here on this forum.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:33 PM   #28 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDog View Post
trainer. They just said to do some research, which is what the OP thought they were probably doing by posting asking for information here on this forum.
You have a point, there.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:25 PM   #29 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Actually, sometimes the best advice is just to simply stop what you are doing immediately.

I'm sorry you do not like my post, but I do not give training advice on the use of ecollars any way shape or form over the internet nor do I endorse a particular trainer video or book. I felt it imperitive this individual does not continue their use of the ecollar and I want going to ignore that fact. But it it's all anyone will get on the subject from me....
GSDElsa is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #30 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDElsa View Post
Actually, sometimes the best advice is just to simply stop what you are doing immediately.

I'm sorry you do not like my post, but I do not give training advice on the use of ecollars any way shape or form over the internet nor do I endorse a particular trainer video or book. I felt it imperitive this individual does not continue their use of the ecollar and I want going to ignore that fact. But it it's all anyone will get on the subject from me....

But why didn't you just say that in the beginning? The "Simply stop what you're doing and please find a qualified trainer to help you in person?"

The bolded sentence is what is frustrating for people. It is almost like there is a "closed club" of "in" people, who know what they're doing and don't want to share any info with us lesser "pet" owners. Fine if you don't want to endorse a particular book, video or trainer. But just telling someone to "review" doesn't really tell them anything, let alone help them to find the right direction.

It's not about whether *I* like it or not.

Last edited by RocketDog; 12-07-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.