German Shepherds Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecollars help

8K views 76 replies 19 participants last post by  sparra 
#1 ·
I just bought e collars for max to fix his minor inside home behavior. I introduced him with #2 stimulation and it seems like he got an idea that when i give him a command he better do it or he'll get shocked. i have no experience with e collars and i am just affraid that using this will make Max scare of things that i dont want him to do. any advise on how to use this device and your experience will really appreciate. i dont want to use this device this everyday because i love max to death and i feel like i am actually huring him or his feeling everytime i shock him. please help!!!

#53 ·
A shaky foundation is just that....will it hold up in the long run? I'd rather do it with the bigger picture in mind and proof it. That to me is training "applied properly". Which for me is going slower to make sure my dog is understanding the exercises and then proofing them with distractions.
I didn't say the ecollar is a quick fix, just that the OP wants a quick fix and thinks the collar will do it instead of actually training/working with the dog!
If we all had a remote in our hands, I could just see how well all the dogs in the world would be, especially if the remotes were in the wrong hands.
If people do not understand the use for it, and just put it on the dog to correct a behavior is that good? I'd hope they'd learn about the training methods before experimenting on the dog, it is only fair.

Timing is very important in the correction and having someone that is versed in ecollar training to help a novice is a bad thing why?
The OP had been given the advice to clik on your site. That is good advice.
Not sure why you always have to over-analyze everyone's posts?

#73 ·
A shaky foundation is just that....will it hold up in the long run? I'd rather do it with the bigger picture in mind and proof it.
Not sure how this crept in here. My articles are set up with "the bigger picture in mind" and they involve proofing to ensure reliability.

That to me is training "applied properly". Which for me is going slower to make sure my dog is understanding the exercises and then proofing them with distractions.
If training is set up properly it's not necessary to "go slower to make sure [the] dog is understanding the exercises." Proofing should be part of all training.

I didn't say the ecollar is a quick fix, just that the OP wants a quick fix and thinks the collar will do it instead of actually training/working with the dog!
The insinuation here is that using an Ecollar is not "actually training/working with the dog." That's just silly.

If people do not understand the use for it, and just put it on the dog to correct a behavior is that good?
I don't think that anyone is advocating that.

I'd hope they'd learn about the training methods before experimenting on the dog, it is only fair.
THAT, is what people here, who use the Ecollar, are advocating.

Timing is very important in the correction and having someone that is versed in ecollar training to help a novice is a bad thing why?
I don't think that anyone said that this was a bad thing. But some are saying that having a trainer immediately available is necessary. It's not, and not everyone can afford that.

Not sure why you always have to over-analyze everyone's posts?
I think that I analyze "just enough." lol

#59 ·
I loved the zoomies when Stella was younger. She will still get them once in a while but not daily anymore. I used to let her zoom and just get into it with her. Fortunately we have a basement where she could zoom around without knocking over too much stuff. When it looked like she was about done, I would give her a nice calming belly rub. I didn't discipline her for this behavior.
I have started using an e collar for "nonsense barking" in the yard. Spoke to my trainer in correct usage. I plan on using it in the future for recall. It seems to be a very effective tool when used properly. My son used an e collar on his dog a while back without any training....BIG MISTAKE. Fortunately he stopped before things went bad. So, I think an e collar has its place. Maybe they are not for everyone and every dog, but it is working well for us in this situation.

#60 ·
OP's dog is about 14 or 15 months old, based on her other posts. IMO, old enough for ecollar, though maybe not right for the situation she needs it for.

I appreciate Lou's open minded posts about how he views ecollar. Although I did not start ecollar with Lou's method (Michael Ellis), I do see some similarities. For most things, you can fix it with various methods and sometimes not one is better than the other, it really depends what a person has access to (learn and train) and can use effectively between themselves and the dogs.

My experience of starting the dog onto ecollar was not slow. Not because I rushed it but the dog got each steps pretty quickly so I just went to the next. I believe the rate of how fast one goes depends on many factors and it's hard to judge the effectiveness simply by the rate of progression alone.

#64 ·
Please dear God toss that collar in the dumpster. If you have a puppy that NEEDS a ecollar, you have a huge problem. 99.99% of dogs that are forced into submission have owners that don't understand dog or bread behavior. You have a HUGE communication problem with the dog.

#65 ·
Anyone who thinks that modern use of modern Ecollars involves "forc[ing a dog] into submission" is demonstrating how little they know about how the tool can be used.

#71 · (Edited)
I find it intersting that you bolded every word except a really important one: NIPPING. The dog is biting when it get's its "zoomies". Also, we don't know if the OP has young kids. A large dog running around, nipping, and not listening is dangerous, especially if you had kids or guests, or maybe grandma and grandpa come over to visit. "Zoomies" are acceptable OUTSIDE behavior, not inside the house, IMO
I bolded the description of the zoomies. As I posted above, when this behavior happens with my pups, I take them outside or turn their activity into a training session, because clearly they are asking for attention. If it is not a good time, then crate is the place they go. I don't see any point in getting out an ecollar for this behavior!
I would crate a dog when company comes over if they are an overexhuberant juvenile.
I'm done going round and round in this thread, but I'm sure someone will quote my post for whatever reason.
So get out the ecollar and have fun...even if you have no clue how to use it. Its all good.

#75 ·
Lou, I use an ecollar....I'm not against them. The OP put it on her pup before she knew how to use it! That is the crux of this thread
a highly effective training tool when used correctly!
I believe this is the whole issue....using it correctly is the most important thing!

#76 ·
Lou, I use an ecollar....I'm not against them. The OP put it on her pup before she knew how to use it! That is the crux of this thread

I believe this is the whole issue....using it correctly is the most important thing!
Yes it is, but somehow it got turned into whether the behavior the OP's dog was exhibiting was acceptable, whether it should be addressed by them by being able to get the dog to stop, rather than just ignoring the behavior by crating or putting the dog outside.

It's their dog, and they want to train their dog so it will stop running around like a nut in the house when told, "out" things on command, and stop biting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.