German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   Dog Carting (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/195712-dog-carting.html)

Zisso 12-04-2012 08:26 PM

Dog Carting

Does anyone participate in Dog Carting? Do you know someone who does?

I think it would be interesting and fun. But I have no idea where to start.

My idea is this:

There is guy here that gives Buggy rides (think horse and buggy) through town. I would like to build a buggy that my dogs could pull and give kids hay rides :) Decorate the cart up for the holidays. I could walk along side it as I wouldn't want the cart to be too heavy for 2 GSD's but I really think it would be a blast, not to mention give my dogs a job :)

Mikelia 12-04-2012 08:56 PM

A friend of mine competes with her Newfoundlands and they love it. I did competetive weight pulling with a previous gsd and she loved to pull, I was thinking of doing carting with my boy now as it seems almost too easy to teach but the startup costs are high. To buy a proper cinch harness and then make/buy a cart, I haven't been bothered.
You can order a nice weight pulling or xback harness though and they can pull a sled or cart with that but the steering is somewhat dangerous. Much better with a proper cart and harness.
Google draft dog. Most of the stuff you find will be about Newfies or berners but there is some good info out there.

FlyAway 12-04-2012 09:05 PM

I built a draft cart from scrap lumber in my garage and a set of $20 wheels. I had to buy some sturdy screws, too.

The siwash harness costs $64. Harness

It is helpful to have instructions on how to get started. Dogs get startled by the cart shafts. There is a DVD you can buy, and there used to be a really good carting yahoo group. I gave my DVD away. The information on there can be found online (I think).

If you want a cart big enough for kids (4 wheels?) that could cost you, unless you have good building skills.

FlyAway 12-04-2012 09:07 PM

Here is all the information you need on training. It's the same as what is on the DVD.

Intro to CARTING

angelas 12-04-2012 09:23 PM

I met a judge this summer who was an absolute doll. I even got to handle her dog a bit. The people who complain about snobby show people have absolutely never talked to this woman. We ended up spending that weekend and the next two together she was such a fountain of friendly knowledge.

FlyAway 12-05-2012 10:06 AM

Here is the recommended place for wheels. My wheels look like the $25 ones. I guess the price is per wheel.

Pneumatic | Spoked Wheels | Tires + Wheels | Northern Tool + Equipment

Here is the yahoo group. It covers all forms of carting, drafting, and driving.

Carting-L : Carting-L is a discussion group for carting and potential carting enthusiasts to exchange ideas

Zisso 12-05-2012 10:46 AM

Thanks for the info and links :) After I posted this I started feeling over whelmed with the idea. LOL

Part of the reason for that is the cost, of course, but more than that it is all that it would take training wise. Both of my dogs are 5 years old. I would need to build a cart first, then spend the spring and summer training my dogs so obviously this Holiday season is out, but that means my dogs would be close to 6 yrs by the time I could even think of doing this.

Is that too old, too late to start them? They are healthy and strong and loving but like any 'mom' I am a worrier.

Zisso 12-05-2012 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angelas (Post 2647371)
I met a judge this summer who was an absolute doll. I even got to handle her dog a bit. The people who complain about snobby show people have absolutely never talked to this woman. We ended up spending that weekend and the next two together she was such a fountain of friendly knowledge.

Glad you enjoyed yourself, but What does this have to do with my topic?

Zisso 12-05-2012 10:52 AM

Does this cart look like it would be too heavy for 2 German Shepherds?
http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...icedogcart.jpg

FlyAway 12-05-2012 05:25 PM

Not too heavy for 2 GSD. It looks like I could pull it easily. Make sure you understand how the harness works for pulling and breaking. For pulling the dog is attached to a tree that helps to distribute the dog's natural cadence. For breaking, there is usually an attachment on the poles that prevents the wagon from "riding up" on the dog when stopping or going down hills.

Now you have me considering buying a 4 wheel wagon from dogworks.com for Christmas. ;)