Opinions on these Dog Boxes :) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2012, 08:25 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Opinions on these Dog Boxes :)

Hi all

I've been looking for some dog boxes to go in the back of my Utility for quite a while.
I love the transK9 Boxes but they are not available to me

I found these they don't seem to look to bad, the only thing I don't like is the bars on the gate they could get a paw through those but it should be easy enough to add some checker plate or similar to the bottom of the door.

I wanted a solid metal box but these seem to be marian ply

Well any comments either good or bad would be appreciated

http://www.facebook.com/dog.transpor.../photos_stream
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

they look pretty nice actually - I have a WT Metal and the doors were attached with nuts and they fell off constantly because the vibration of the vehicle loosened them....my mechanic who does foreign cars fixed them with lock washers [?].....as these don't have washers - I would want to be sure that the door attachments could be easily replaced if they got broken...

dogs aren't like cats sticking their feet through things ..... unless you have a rare escape artist! I had one, that is why I got the WT Metal crate - and he was very secure in it...

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
wolfstraum is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

My only comments - for that money I think you should expect continuous welded seams and not something held together with nuts and bolts.

I have had paws slip through a crate before when the car wound up at an angle - I need to put some hardware mesh in my own crate (fortunately I have grooves for storm covers so it will be easy to slide in) --

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 09:54 AM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

the WTs are light weight - they are not that pricy in Europe - around 300E - it is the transport, taxes, dealer mark up and more transport....WT Metals like mine are now $900 if you pick it up at an event....that is why I only have 1 of them!!!!

Lee
Csabre Sch1, Hexe Sch2, SG Bengal, Komet, Kira HGH & Kougar v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia BH ~ ATB Basha Sch3 IPO3, Danger Sch1 RH SAR ~ Kougar Sch3, Kyra Sch3, Cito Sch2, Alice Sch1, Kelsey CD, Ret ~ Fenja Sch3s

wolfstraum.net
Old 12-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I guess a lot has to do with availability as well....I just saw OP was in Australia. I have just hear of issues with bolted together (or spot welded) boxes both due to bolts loosening and because all the shear forces are targeted at that one location.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-02-2012, 07:48 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Member

If it's not too much trouble would you both be able to post a link or pictures to the boxes you have?
I'm sure I've seen a picture of yours jocoyn but I can't find it again :/
I may have someone that can make one for me but he needs pictures as examples.
Good point on the nuts and bolts, that may be worth considering - the good thing about them is that they flat pack them which makes the shipping cheaper.
Freight charges are astronomical for us, everything is so far away

I think I just found the WT ones they seem to look very similar to the one I was looking at. Is it this one you have? http://www.dogbox.us/dog-box/large-dogcrate.html

Last edited by Mooch; 12-02-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: found link
Old 12-02-2012, 08:17 PM   #7 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Mine are ugly! And the design would not be good for an SUV but they are solid welded boxes. It is the 55033L About $500 but I can get locally (well an hour away) so no freight- Running Boards, Tool Boxes, Dog Boxes, Commercial Use Products - Owens Products, Inc - Sturgis Michigan. Temperature wise is it very cool, believe it or not. (I live in a hot area)

But they do make a professional dog box too that looks more like a typical custom
Running Boards, Tool Boxes, Dog Boxes, Commercial Use Products - Owens Products, Inc - Sturgis Michigan

There might be someone down there who can make custom for you? That is what a lot of folks do.......

Old 12-02-2012, 08:53 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

mine is square - doors front and back...no locks....it was custom made for someone else who backed out and I was desperate to get something that Cito would not break....the materials used are the same, but mine is not slanted

Lee

wolfstraum.net
Old 12-03-2012, 02:05 AM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

jocoyn yours are fantastic, that's exactly what I would like They don't have to be pretty they just have to be practical
I'll take some pictures of those to some local tool box guys and see if they can make something.
I'm really glad to hear they are ok in hot weather too, we get some really hot temperatures here (I was thinking of getting some remote thermometers to put in them as well as cooling mats etc)

Thank you for putting the links up
Old 12-03-2012, 06:35 AM   #10 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I will try to take some close up pictures if that helps. One thing I would like is a window in the back for more through ventilation.......Mine are an older model with a different latch that holds in three places (one slam latch, two manual latch)

It gets fairly hot for the states in South Carolina USA and we have to park out in the heat often ..Before I got them, some other folks told me how cool they kept the dogs and I was surprised to confirm it for myself. I do still use fans though!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.