Breakaway collars?? Which one? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2012, 12:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Breakaway collars?? Which one?

Hiya all

after reading some of the threads on here i'm considering buying a couple of breakaway collars.
How many of you actually use them?

I have never had a problem with "normal" collars but my current 2 dogs do like to wrestle and play a lot.
At the moment they both wear buckle on biothane collars because they go swimming almost every day. I do also keep the collars on all the time, they hold all their ID tags etc incase they manage to get out of the yard somehow.
Both of them are long coats so the collar gets covered by their fur which makes it tricky to grab them by it at the best of times.

My main concern with the break away collars is that they will loose it if they do get out and then don't have any visible ID on them
and that the collar will give way if I need to "grab" them for whatever reason and can't find the breakaway buckle to hold onto.

I'm really confused, of course I want them to be safe but until recently i'd never even heard of breakaway collars for dogs

Any info or advise would be really appreciated
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

We don't wear collars. Ear tattoos & chipped. Then again, they'd crap their pants if I made it two rooms away, much less out of earshot

A breakaway collars seems self defeating
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald, 2 x SchH3, Kkl 1
hunterisgreat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2012, 07:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master Member

Yeah mine are both chipped but they are home alone when Im at work.

Quote:
A breakaway collars seems self defeating
yeah that's sort of what I thought - likely they won't be wearing it anymore if they need it.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

WOW ok looks like breakaway collars are not popular
106 views on the thread and only one response!
Old 11-28-2012, 06:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I had a breakaway collar a few years ago and it kept falling off in normal use so I figured it was worthless as an ID collar. I do use center ring hunting collars fit loosely with one tag. The center ring gives a little more flex so the collar is designed to come off if the dog gets hung up. I use the coated nylon ones but her is example.

http://www.gundogsupply.com/collar-style-comp.html

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooch View Post
WOW ok looks like breakaway collars are not popular
106 views on the thread and only one response!
We had one, too, and it was a pain to use. We, too, had an incident when it just came apart when it wasn't supposed to.

Plus, I think only one company makes them and they are too narrow.

I read one thread where a poster had a dog suffocate and she couldn't do a thing. Two dogs had gotten tangled and the buckle collar could not be removed. That is why I always have the quick release buckles, and at night he doesn't wear one.
Old 11-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I had a breakaway collar a few years ago and it kept falling off in normal use so I figured it was worthless as an ID collar. I do use center ring hunting collars fit loosely with one tag. The center ring gives a little more flex so the collar is designed to come off if the dog gets hung up. I use the coated nylon ones but her is example.

Collar Style Comparison.
I use the center ring collar too, for my dog that always wears a collar. My GSDs are "naked" but my escape artist mutt always wears a biothane collar with the center ring and two brass ID plates riveted on (no tags). I've only ever used breakaway collars for cats.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Thank you ladies

I'll be ordering some centre ring collars, they seem like a good compromise.
Hmm I wonder if a centre ring with a quick release buckle would work - I may have to experiment with making a couple if they are not available.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

They usually come with very easy to use buckles......with the swimming I would go for the coated nylon! If the dogs were playing unsupervised I would remove the collar even with the center ring because it could still cause a "freakout" if one got caught in the other's collar.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I had a foster who was crated during the day I used a Premier breakaway collar on him, they are made so you can attach a leash, when you do they won't break away. So when he was supervised somewhere that I wanted to be able to catch hold of him, I would attach a training tab to the collar, so that I could then grab it without it breaking away, and removed it whn in the crate or when they were playing. If his collar had gotten caught somewhere while the training tab was on it would be easy to unhook the tab so that the collar would become breakaway again.
I have also used Ruffwear's older style of Knot-a-collars which are not breakaway but will loosen if they get caught on something, but the ones they currently sell I am not sure if they have the same feature, although you can sometimes find the older style cheap on clearance websites.
I also kinda like Tazlab's safety collar but I haven't actually used it myself.

I have two of these tag collars for my cats, they are actually made for dogs, however they cannot really be used to grab the collar, only for holding tags:
LongDog Leather Works - Martingale Dog Collars

Also want to add I use a Tagbag(from same site as the tag collars) to hold my dog's tags flush on the collar, or else a Boomerang tags collartag, so that there is nothing hanging down from their collars. This makes it less likely that the collar will catch on anything. I also use a heavy leather collar, so there is really no way for another dog to easily get caught on it or to grab and twist it.

Last edited by Chicagocanine; 11-30-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.