German Shepherds Forum banner

prong collars equal AWESOMENESS

7K views 58 replies 18 participants last post by  RowdyDogs 
#1 ·
So with only an hour of training, my shadow girl knows how to heel, stop, and NOT PULL! Of course more training but gosh im so proud of my baby girl!

So happy with the prong!

Well she was less distracted, we went out back where theres not much things she can hunt. She struggled at first, whined a couple times, but did amazing. After mastering the sit, when I stopped and mastering "heel", we took out our lil apollo! She got a little distracted but kept her eyes on me, a few times snuck a lil look at apollo, but generally she was watching my steps. Her nose went to the ground I believe 3times but after a lil crank her head was up, she looked way more confident then she has ever looked! When we took apollo out, she was literally by my side the whole time, she tried to sniff him at first but I pulled her back to my side horizontally and she fell right in place :)

Could not be more pleased.

#6 ·
Yep--prong collars are like power steering! Now you understand why we use these evil torture devices. :)

It's a tool, just like any other tool, you have to find the right one for the job. I have found that the prong has worked well for my hard-pulling GSDs, and prefer it to the harness or head halter, but everyone has to find what works for them.

#9 ·
Yep--prong collars are like power steering! Now you understand why we use these evil torture devices. :)

It's a tool, just like any other tool, you have to find the right one for the job. I have found that the prong has worked well for my hard-pulling GSDs, and prefer it to the harness or head halter, but everyone has to find what works for them.
Very well put! :)

I've been really happy with the prong, much lighter corrections are needed and it really does work for Delgado :)
This is why I like the prong collar.

I think they have magical properties. :D

#7 ·
I've been really happy with the prong, much lighter corrections are needed and it really does work for Delgado :)

#8 ·
I use a martingale and have always had success with it ... but I'm not here to say BOO on prongs!

Congrats on having a successful walk with your dog ... it certainly makes training a lot more rewarding when you are both succeeding!

#10 ·
I always thought prongs looked like torture devices until I tried one on Stella....and I am now able to walk her without a problem. Definitely less corrections necessary while on the prong and when they are given...they are listened to!

#18 ·
Lol!! Aww !

I swear she literally choked herself a few times seeing squirrels ! I had to run with her bevause I was afraid to hurt her! So I ended up buying the prong, looking at some videos on how to effectively use it, plus asking a trainer! Boom bada bing! It worked! I really cant wait to stop using the prong and keep her on a regular collar :p

Definitely worth the money in my eyes!

#20 ·
The only difference I can think of is that I started Ky on the martingale at 10 weeks, and she learned REALLY early what was expected on walks. Don't get me wrong, we hald meltdowns, tantrums, etc. but I always worked through them.

She's been a breeze to train and a joy to work with compared to some of the dogs on here I read about LOL

I thank my lucky stars every single time I read a post about "problems" with a GSD

#21 ·
How can I say this without seeming like an idiot? Um, I can't, lol. I actually taught my puppy to act like a maniac on a leash. Yep, starting at 8 weeks old, he was always let out to do his business on a flexi. He learned that tension equals freedom, and that he could roam wherever he wanted to. I trained him very well - if I ever need him to cart things around, he's perfect!

#29 ·
Here's my problem with "prong collars equal awesomeness"....

Your dog will become collar smart. You need to train in a positive way with rewards (whether that reward is treat, toy or release of pressure). Mine was collar smart. If the prong wasn't on her, she could care less and pull like a freight train.

So don't replace real training and building a relationship with your dog with a tool. Use the tool to train and work on proofing your dog so you won't need to always use the prong collar. I see so many dogs who are supposed to be therapy dogs that drag their owners around when the prong collar isn't on. IMO, that means your dog isn't trained...it's just collar smart.

#47 ·
I think everyone realizes that but it doesn't mean we have to like it. ;)

OP, I'm glad the prong collar is working for you. Personally, I've never had noticeably better results with a prong than with a gentle leader-type device (either harness or head collar), and I have seen them sort of "shut down" some sensitive dogs so I tend to prefer the gentle leaders. I think a lot depends on the dog and the handler's methods, so basically personal preference. Clearly your girl isn't bothered by it so I'm not criticizing, just giving my perspective. :)

Although, on smaller dogs I'll usually just train in a flat collar and haven't had problems teaching loose leash walking and heel with just that. I only used to use a head collar on my GSD because he is large enough (and was already when I got him) that I didn't want to risk losing him if he spotted something and tried to take off before I got him reliable leash manners and recall.

#42 ·
I am lucky enough to have a dog that was trained on a flat. I did have to get her a prong when I went to the GSD club..that is there rules. I did put it on her a couple times, but I never had to give a correction. I never went back to the GSD club either, mostly because of this. I finely called them back because I wanted to go there and they told me I didn't have to use a prong. I understand they are a tool and once the dog is trained they should be fine, but my biggest concern is that I see lots of dogs with them on and they are older supposedly trained dogs. Lots of people go back to using them in certain situations, which makes me believe the dog wasn't trained to begin with. How many years are they going to use the prong for?? I would also like to add that my dog turns into a different dog with the prong on, she kinda looses her spirit and mopes. I didn't like that reaction from her and since she doesn't need one I won't do that to her, but I do not past judgement on those that do use them and do so the right way.

#43 ·
Many people start around 6 months when the puppy is large enough and strong enough to be hard to control if you have not either trained the puppy properly from the get go or have a punk on your hands.

I think good training can eliminate the need for most dogs. I wound up with one with Beau because I was negligent in doing solid training with him (and he is also simply full of himself) because I was dealing with two other dogs - one with cancer and one with a back injury and he did not get as much attention in obedience as I should have given him. My older dog, Grim, has never needed more than a flat collar.

There is still a need to teach loose leash walking without a prong. No dog should be expected to "heel" for recreational walking for long distances....and the prong is really not designed to simply keep a dog from pulling on a long line.

To me it has its uses as a training tool and it must be fit properly and you need to learn how to give a proper correction because it can actually backfire with a dog lunging etc. because it can increase, not decrease, drive with the wrong kind of correction.

I think most folks though just fall into using the prong as "power steering" instead of a training tool.

#46 ·
LOL you got THAT right! The other day Beau came FLYING into the house where my husband was typing on the sofa on his laptop. Laptop survived (phew) and husband still has his man parts (phew) but 20 years ago that would have been a big fight, a punished dog, etc. ........ He laughed and said "when are we going to be too old for this, reminde me?"

#54 ·
lol you got that right! The other day beau came flying into the house where my husband was typing on the sofa on his laptop. Laptop survived (phew) and husband still has his man parts (phew) but 20 years ago that would have been a big fight, a punished dog, etc. ........ He laughed and said "when are we going to be too old for this, reminde me?"
hehe so cute :)

#49 ·
I have tried everything on Sib..gentle leader..front harness..flat collar..but the prong is the only way I can control Sib..She was returned to the breeder by first owner because of her being so hard to walk...pulling..etc...Finally, with the prong she is manageable..i do not feel like I have failed in her training..This is just the ONLY way to manage this dog..jan

#58 · (Edited)
wow no offence to anyone - altho it will most likely be taken that way - this thread is so self-reinforcing to each other's posts it's kind of creepy. it's like a roomfull of new zealots revealing their conversion stories to each other like one big mind F.

just an observation.

BTW i have no opinon on the use of the prong other than its a training tool that can be used correctly or not, like any other training tool.

PEACE and halleuiah

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.