German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Equipment (how to use/where to find) (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/)
-   -   prong collars equal AWESOMENESS (http://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/equipment-how-use-where-find/194943-prong-collars-equal-awesomeness.html)

kelina 11-23-2012 11:46 AM

prong collars equal AWESOMENESS

So with only an hour of training, my shadow girl knows how to heel, stop, and NOT PULL! Of course more training but gosh im so proud of my baby girl!

So happy with the prong!

Well she was less distracted, we went out back where theres not much things she can hunt. She struggled at first, whined a couple times, but did amazing. After mastering the sit, when I stopped and mastering "heel", we took out our lil apollo! She got a little distracted but kept her eyes on me, a few times snuck a lil look at apollo, but generally she was watching my steps. Her nose went to the ground I believe 3times but after a lil crank her head was up, she looked way more confident then she has ever looked! When we took apollo out, she was literally by my side the whole time, she tried to sniff him at first but I pulled her back to my side horizontally and she fell right in place :)

Could not be more pleased.

Mary Beth 11-23-2012 12:14 PM

Good for you. But that is not the only way. I got the same results with the harness.

kelina 11-23-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mary Beth (Post 2637146)
Good for you. But that is not the only way. I got the same results with the harness.

Really? Lots of people say harnesses are not much effective.

NWHeather 11-23-2012 12:51 PM

I had fairly good results with the easy walker harness, but the prong collar made a bigger difference with my two.

kelina 11-23-2012 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWHeather (Post 2637178)
I had fairly good results with the easy walker harness, but the prong collar made a bigger difference with my two.

Same :). I was on defense with these collars, but I am truly in love.

Freestep 11-23-2012 01:08 PM

Yep--prong collars are like power steering! Now you understand why we use these evil torture devices. :)

It's a tool, just like any other tool, you have to find the right one for the job. I have found that the prong has worked well for my hard-pulling GSDs, and prefer it to the harness or head halter, but everyone has to find what works for them.

Shade 11-23-2012 01:19 PM

I've been really happy with the prong, much lighter corrections are needed and it really does work for Delgado :)

Kyleigh 11-23-2012 01:20 PM

I use a martingale and have always had success with it ... but I'm not here to say BOO on prongs!

Congrats on having a successful walk with your dog ... it certainly makes training a lot more rewarding when you are both succeeding!

NWHeather 11-23-2012 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Freestep (Post 2637193)
Yep--prong collars are like power steering! Now you understand why we use these evil torture devices. :)

It's a tool, just like any other tool, you have to find the right one for the job. I have found that the prong has worked well for my hard-pulling GSDs, and prefer it to the harness or head halter, but everyone has to find what works for them.

Very well put! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shade (Post 2637204)
I've been really happy with the prong, much lighter corrections are needed and it really does work for Delgado :)

This is why I like the prong collar.

I think they have magical properties. :D

katdog5911 11-23-2012 02:48 PM

I always thought prongs looked like torture devices until I tried one on Stella....and I am now able to walk her without a problem. Definitely less corrections necessary while on the prong and when they are given...they are listened to!