prong collars equal AWESOMENESS - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-23-2012, 09:55 PM   #31 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I see so many dogs who are supposed to be therapy dogs that drag their owners around when the prong collar isn't on.
Therapy Dogs are only allowed a flat collar, because someone could get their finger caught in another type. That's what I was told in my group anyway -it makes perfect sense.
Blanketback is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Here's my problem with "prong collars equal awesomeness"....

Your dog will become collar smart. You need to train in a positive way with rewards (whether that reward is treat, toy or release of pressure). Mine was collar smart. If the prong wasn't on her, she could care less and pull like a freight train.

So don't replace real training and building a relationship with your dog with a tool. Use the tool to train and work on proofing your dog so you won't need to always use the prong collar. I see so many dogs who are supposed to be therapy dogs that drag their owners around when the prong collar isn't on. IMO, that means your dog isn't trained...it's just collar smart.
I did reward her, multiple times. We actually did replace the prong to a regular for a daily walked and she did fairly well.

Thankyou .
kelina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 09:57 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blanketback View Post
Therapy Dogs are only allowed a flat collar, because someone could get their finger caught in another type. That's what I was told in my group anyway -it makes perfect sense.
True!
Old 11-23-2012, 10:00 PM   #34 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I see so many dogs who are supposed to be therapy dogs that drag their owners around when the prong collar isn't on. IMO, that means your dog isn't trained...it's just collar smart.
If your dog drags you around when the prong collar is not on...they aren't trained...they are just collar smart.

Quote:
While that might make perfect sense....Correction collars are not supposed to be on a therapy dog because they are supposed to be trained and not supposed to require one.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~

Last edited by Jax08; 11-23-2012 at 10:05 PM.
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 10:03 PM   #35 (permalink)

She was just fine for the first day with&without prong.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #36 (permalink)
Crowned Member

If she did fine with & without the prong then why use it? All I'm saying is make sure you are training and proofing without the prong so your dog is actually trained...not just smart to the collar. It will save you the grief I had.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:18 PM   #37 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
While that might make perfect sense....Correction collars are not supposed to be on a therapy dog because they are supposed to be trained and not supposed to require one.
I'm confused - do you mean that the collar shouldn't be used at all on a Therapy Dog prospect? Obviously once the dog no longer needs it, it would go back into the toolbox. I understand that a dog can become collar smart if it's used as a crutch, without any training to go with it. But the way you said it, it sounded like a Therapy Dog will drag its owner around - so not only would it be collar smart, it would also be surroundings smart, since they can't wear a prong collar while they work.
Old 11-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #38 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
I'm confused - do you mean that the collar shouldn't be used at all on a Therapy Dog prospect? Obviously once the dog no longer needs it, it would go back into the toolbox. I understand that a dog can become collar smart if it's used as a crutch, without any training to go with it. But the way you said it, it sounded like a Therapy Dog will drag its owner around - so not only would it be collar smart, it would also be surroundings smart, since they can't wear a prong collar while they work.
Stop being stuck on the therapy dog part. It was an example. I did not say EVERY THERAPY DOG...I said I've seen therapy dogs...as an example of a dog that is supposed to have pretty good training on a flat collar.

What I'm saying is the dog is NOT trained, simply collar smart. It has nothing to do with surroundings. I'm not sure how much plainer I can state it...If the dog is dragging its owner around when the prong is not on the dog then the dog is not trained.

I see many owners use the collar as a crutch thinking their dogs are trained when it is simply the collar administering self corrects when the dog pulls. Take the collar away and you have an untrained dog.

My point being...finishing training your dog and don't become dependent on a training tool.

Old 11-23-2012, 10:37 PM   #39 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Okey dokey. But you do know there are probably millions of people who use all the different devices (prongs, head collars, harnesses, what-nots) and couldn't give a hoot that their dogs aren't trained? They're just happy to be able to walk them, lol.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:56 AM   #40 (permalink)

Quote:
If she did fine with & without the prong then why use it? All I'm saying is make sure you are training and proofing without the prong so your dog is actually trained...not just smart to the collar. It will save you the grief I had.
No. I said she did fine with the prong, so when I switched it for a test she did okay for the first day with reg. Collar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.