German Shepherds Forum banner

prong collar < Martingale collar?

3K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  kelina 
#1 ·
What collar is more better? I have a puller.

Help please.

#3 ·
Prong for pulling; a miracle tool for my very bad carpal tunnel/weak wrists. Hunter has been taught to walk with a loose leash, but he pulls when he gets to walk with his best friends Stark and Zefra or sees a squirrel.

#7 ·
My boy had been pulling like a freight train so our trainer had me start using the Premier Gentle Leader. Initially he only stopped pulling when he was wearing it. I then started working a lot on the "watch me" command with lots of rewards. That's when I saw his pulling begin to subside. Within two weeks we started to enjoy walks together without the Gentle Leader. Now his focus is on me instead of getting where we are going.

#9 ·
Before just putting your dog in a prong, get some training on how to properly use it (fit, timing of correction, etc). It will greatly benefit you and your dog.

It's not the same concept as a choke, the prong is an all over correction where I believe the choke is centred on a certain area.

Just remember that neither is a soultion rather a tool to get your ultimate end goal.

#10 ·
I have had professional dog trainers not know how to properly use the prong. How old is the dog in question? Is it the puppy?

The prong is a great training tool when used properly but typically you the approach where the dog pulls you walk the opposite direction..........meaning walks are not walks but rather training sessions until the dog gets the idea of not pulling.

#11 ·
The prong is a great training tool when used properly but typically you the approach where the dog pulls you walk the opposite direction..........meaning walks are not walks but rather training sessions until the dog gets the idea of not pulling.
Dogs pull until you let them know it's not allowed. Prongs are not a substitute for training. I'm okay with them as a temporary measure if your dog is too strong for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.