What crates do you use for what purposes? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

For training, trialing, traveling and w-end getaways I use metal custom vehicle crates. Plastic crates also work very well in lieu of custom car crates. Here are a couple of recommended brands,
1. Dog Crates | Dog Cages | TransK9USA | SUV Dog Crates
2. www.rufftoughkennels.com/

At home dogs have folding wire crates in their indoors room. Outdoors they have 10'x5'x6' kennels.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Packen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Jag
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packen View Post
For training, trialing, traveling and w-end getaways I use metal custom vehicle crates. Plastic crates also work very well in lieu of custom car crates. Here are a couple of recommended brands,
1. Dog Crates | Dog Cages | TransK9USA | SUV Dog Crates
2. www.rufftoughkennels.com/

At home dogs have folding wire crates in their indoors room. Outdoors they have 10'x5'x6' kennels.
Those travel crates look awesome!
Jag is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-18-2012, 09:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

I only use wire crates (except I have a 24" airline style crate for puppies and little dogs). I have nothing against the airline crates but having multiple 42" crates in my van I use wire because 1) I can see through them out the back (I like to be able to see when I'm regularly driving 3 hours each way to training or events), 2) they fit better because they are flat-sided not that weird diamond shape like the airline crates and 3) I think they offer better ventilation which is important to me since it can get HOT here in the summer and we don't use AC in the house and when it gets over 90 or so the AC in my van is iffy.

For events I normally keep my dogs crated in my van rather than hauling crates around. If I only have one dog along, then I usually bring my favorite 36" crate which is a folding wire crate so it is not lightweight but it's easy to up/down because it's a true "suitcase" crate (collapses in on itself). I have a little dolly that I take along so I can move my crate, chair, and grooming or gear bags by myself. When I do conformation I often go alone, no DH or other friends/club members with me. If I take a crate inside the venue I also prefer wire over soft-sided because 1) space is usually limited so I can stack my gear on my wire crate and 2) the only soft-sided crate I've ever had met its end when a dog on the OUTside scratched IN. My dogs are fine but I don't trust other dogs. At flyball and conformation I rarely see soft-sided crates. I think they are more of an agility thing.

Someone came to visit our flyball club last week, put her 5lb dog in a soft-sided crate and the dog was literally running around the building inside the crate like a hamster in a ball. It was funny for about 10 seconds and then it was just dumb/annoying!

The soft-sided crate I had that got ripped was a really good quality one (and NOT cheap!) but it was really annoying to pop up and it really wasn't all that lightweight. It always pinched my fingers. My 36" wire crate weighs more but takes me 10 seconds to setup.
Legend (GSD 10/22/13)
Rainbow Bridge Kenya (GSD)

Last edited by Liesje; 11-18-2012 at 09:15 PM.
Liesje is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 06:33 PM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sttimeforgsd View Post
My personel preference is the airline crate, which like you mentioned take up more room unless you use the jiffy nuts to take them apart and store the bottom inside of the top. It just takes about 5 min to assemble.
Totally forgot that they even come apart, thanks for reminding me of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiedad View Post
the metal crates that i've used snap together. the crates
you use do you have to assemble them together?
\

Nay, they are all folding that I have or have had... I didn't even know that wire crates came in a different form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4TheDawgies View Post
I personally love folding wire crates. I can pile up a million of them in my van and be able to bring a lot of dogs. I like that if I need to bring something big I can fold them down and I have the room to fit it. The airline crates are more annoying when not being used in my van.

I find really cheap crates on e-bay. There's a small brand called BestPet and their wire crates are VERY affordable and heavy duty!
It's true that they fit for transportation so much better.. and thank you for the recommendation; I have about 7 crates right now of varying sizes, but if I ever need a new one I will check out that brand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy's Mom View Post
At flyball practice and tournaments, and dock diving events I've noticed that most people use either the plastic airline crates or the folding wire crates - I'm one of the few that uses a folding soft crate. I don't know anything abut the Guardian Gear brand, I had to look them up, but they look very similar to the Noz 2 Noz that I have, except that they come in prettier colors!

IF you have a dog that might try and scratch their way out, soft crates are probably not a good choice, but I've never had a problem. I have an extra Vari-Kennel that I use for transporting Halo to events, but I leave it in the car. The soft crate slides easily behind the front seats in my little Audi A3 wagon. The nice thing about the soft crate is that I can carry it and walk Halo at the same time, and I can also set it up and break it down while still holding her on leash. With another kind of crate I'd have to either make 2 trips, or leash her to something while I set up if there aren't an extra set of hands to help.

The ONLY time Halo has scratched at hers was at dock diving, and we were both right there. We told her to knock it off and she did. At flyball, I can put her in her crate and walk away with no problem. She's in sight of the practice field or the ring at tournaments and she's very calm until I take her out and it's our turn to work. I can walk off and go to the bathroom, and she's never tried to escape. I don't know if it makes a difference that she's very used to being in a crate - even though she's 4 and Keefer is 7, they still sleep in their crates in our bedroom, and both of them go in on their own at night, and will also take a nap there sometimes when we're around during the day.
Thanks for the info. I got recommended the noz2noz if I do decide to get a soft-sided elsewhere, and if you like yours I think that may be the brand of choice.. I really want to be able to carry crates and walk dogs at the same time, which is why I was looking in to them.. I think I may end up going with one soft crate for the puppy to train him in it.. Frag doesn't typically escape, but since SA at 6 months old he knows that he CAN, so it may not be a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elisabeth_00117 View Post
My friends pup was in my soft sided crate at schH and ended up getting out. Thank goodness we were only doing obedience and we caught him before he went onto the field, but since then I only will use wire or Vari-kennels. Just gives me a piece of mind.
Yeah, I definitely want piece of mind... so Frag will probably stay in a wire crate. We'll see how puppy adapts to a soft-sided perhaps and sell it if it doesn't work out. The scene you described would scare the daylights out of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liesje View Post
I only use wire crates (except I have a 24" airline style crate for puppies and little dogs). I have nothing against the airline crates but having multiple 42" crates in my van I use wire because 1) I can see through them out the back (I like to be able to see when I'm regularly driving 3 hours each way to training or events), 2) they fit better because they are flat-sided not that weird diamond shape like the airline crates and 3) I think they offer better ventilation which is important to me since it can get HOT here in the summer and we don't use AC in the house and when it gets over 90 or so the AC in my van is iffy.

For events I normally keep my dogs crated in my van rather than hauling crates around. If I only have one dog along, then I usually bring my favorite 36" crate which is a folding wire crate so it is not lightweight but it's easy to up/down because it's a true "suitcase" crate (collapses in on itself). I have a little dolly that I take along so I can move my crate, chair, and grooming or gear bags by myself. When I do conformation I often go alone, no DH or other friends/club members with me. If I take a crate inside the venue I also prefer wire over soft-sided because 1) space is usually limited so I can stack my gear on my wire crate and 2) the only soft-sided crate I've ever had met its end when a dog on the OUTside scratched IN. My dogs are fine but I don't trust other dogs. At flyball and conformation I rarely see soft-sided crates. I think they are more of an agility thing.

Someone came to visit our flyball club last week, put her 5lb dog in a soft-sided crate and the dog was literally running around the building inside the crate like a hamster in a ball. It was funny for about 10 seconds and then it was just dumb/annoying!

The soft-sided crate I had that got ripped was a really good quality one (and NOT cheap!) but it was really annoying to pop up and it really wasn't all that lightweight. It always pinched my fingers. My 36" wire crate weighs more but takes me 10 seconds to setup.
I didn't even think about not being able to see with the airline crates.. I think wire and maybe a soft will be my way to go for sure. I hate not being able to see out of my car.

I like the comparison of wire crates setting up faster, etc. Being american I'm just looking for any more convenience I can, but I assure you; I won't be that girl with the dog running around in a hamster ball.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 PM   #15 (permalink)
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I would LOVE to have some soft sided crates for hotel rooms. Just so expensive.

At home Vala, Deja and Elena are in 500 plastic crates and Donovan and Alexis have the extra large wire crates. In my truck for travel I have two aluminum Kustom Krates that I LOVE. Then I use my Vari kennels or my old 450 Furari crates. I have one of the latter in the back seat of my truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena BH AD CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, and gone but not forgotten, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

lhczth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 12:45 AM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a soft crate-the same one as Cassidys mom-its well made I use it to go to AKC dog shows-it also really comes in handy when I am traveling if I need a crate-its really easy to carry around-and Rorie has never damaged it-
holland is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:
Security Question
While balancing on a piece of wood, two inches by four inches known as a 2x4, john and his friend sally both spotted a dalmatian inside a truck with sirens, headed to put out a fire. State what the 2x4 is made of.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.