Should I use a prong collar? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2012, 09:28 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

It sounds like you need to work more on desensitization, not use stronger corrections.
If your dog is not taking treats they are above threshold and I would try working at a greater distance, where you are at a point that they will still take treats.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2012, 11:13 PM   #12 (permalink)
Knighted Member

My puppy used to want to chase cars too, but whenever we're out walking and one passes us I always put him in a sit and wait for the car to pass. He's at the point now that they don't phase him, but he was squirmy in the beginning. I didn't use treats for this either, because my puppy wouldn't pay attention to them anyway.

I'd try a prong if I were you, since this has to be dealt with before it gets any worse. But make sure that the one you get has smooth edges on it - some of them are really crappily made, and sharp.
Blanketback is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 08:08 AM   #13 (permalink)
The Rescues Rule Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagocanine View Post
It sounds like you need to work more on desensitization, not use stronger corrections.
If your dog is not taking treats they are above threshold and I would try working at a greater distance, where you are at a point that they will still take treats.
This is it. Desensitization can work when done at the proper levels.

I would find a trainer that could show you how to do this so that it is effective.

I am not averse to using a good correction when it comes to my dogs' safety, but at the same time, I like to teach them what I DO want even more. This generally has a much better success rate.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

I am not an expert but can only go by my own experience. Stella lunged, barked, etc at dogs and other animal. I tried everything. I too was afraid of losing control of my dog. She had pulled me down more than once. I finally went to a trainer who suggested the prong. For us, it was a miracle. I feel completely in control of her and we have been able to meet other dogs and animals without her carrying on. But it is important to learn how to use it correctly.
katdog5911 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
dOg
Elite Member

It's like power stearing. Who wants to drive without it?
Get a prong, seriously!
dOg is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 11:40 AM   #16 (permalink)

You have a lot of options for collars. I agree with Jag this is a big issue you need to get a handle on it asap. Suggestion if you decide to get a prong collar... Make sure you learn how to use this tool correctly so the dog understands what it is, what it does, and how they can avoid corrections by doing the correct behavior. Then the dog becomes responsible for their behavior. Also make sure the prong collar is fitted correctly.

How To Use a Prong Collar Part 1 - YouTube

How To Use A Prong Collar Part 2 - YouTube

I did enjoy these videos on the prong collar. I hope this helps!
KayleeGSD is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:26 PM   #17 (permalink)

Studies indicate a prong coller stresses the dog more then the correct use of a ecollar. Go to a good trainer and learn it, most of the undesired behaviors will go away. Study the use of it before you choose your trainer. Recommend reading anything from Michelle Ellis or Lou Castle.
wildrivers is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:41 PM   #18 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah~ View Post
My dog is about to be 9 months old and is very obedient in the house, he knows all the basic commands and some tricks. Even outside he's obedient for the most part, he has a very good heel and I'm able to keep him focused except for one thing, which is cars. His hair stands on end and he stares at the car until it gets close then once its passing us he lunges at them.
Why would you allow your dog to focus on a distraction that you already know he's going to react to?

"Here it comes..getting closer...OMG!...here it comes...it's nearly here...OMG ! OMG!..GOTTA GET IT .....ARGHHHHH!"

In the mean time what is going through your mind? "Holy Crap! Here comes a vehicle. He's going to do it again. Must try to contain him. But it isn't going to work. He's going to go crazy! I know it!"

You are helping build your dogs reaction by allowing it to focus on the distraction. As soon as your dog focuses on the vehicle, change direction. Occupy your dog's mind with what ever it takes to distract it from the vehicle that causes the adverse reaction. Food, squeaker toys, changing direction, running backwards...what ever it takes.

Some dogs work well with a solid command, such as sit. I have a dog that if I asked him to sit while he was having a reaction (especially something that I know he is going to react to) would be like adding fuel to a fire in an attempt to put it out.
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
Lilie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

Instead of a prong collar try a gentle leader/head halter and a short leash. Don't allow the dog to be walking you(walking in front of you). A prong collar will give you no control over their head or nose, a gentle leader will make their head follow you. As soon as you see a car, focus on stopping the behavior rather than "Oh no here we go again." Get your dogs attention, make him sit stay. However intense he is being in his energy, is how intense you have to be with your discipline.
5dogsandababy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

I like prongs when needed and a lot of dogs I know hate the gentle leaders but you have to be careful with reactivity and prongs because sometimes the prong amps them up more. If the prong amps her up and you can't control her on a slip type collar than I would consider the gentle leader so you feel confident she can't get away from you. Then Look into de sensitization exercises. Like LAT or BAT. look up Control unleashed

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.