Prong size - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #1 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Default Prong size

Just wondering. Right now I am using a medium HS for Beau - his neck is 19 inches right behind the ears but at 15 months I am sure his neck will thicken up a little over time as he is an intact male.

I can't get it as high as I would like. He does need a live ring correction at times - we are at the point where I am not using the collar to keep him from pulling but for breaking known commands.

I have the standard HS staniless collar though I may like to get one where the prongs reverse due to a plate in the middle if it really keeps it from moving around on the neck.

Is there any difference in collar link size in regards to being able to give a good correction with a quick release. I have heard the small links may actually give a better correction and fit but they do seem flmsy given the lighter guage of the steel.

Does the design with the flat plate in the middle actually work better at keeping the collar in place or make any other difference?

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2012, 11:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Prong sizing depends on what you are working with. If it's a dog with a thick coat, I use a larger size prong that can get all the way through thick or heavy coats. A correction is useless if it is attenuated by thick fur that prevents the prong from making contact. Also if it's a strong dog with a lot of strength, a bigger one is stronger and sturdier for them. For short coats or stock coats, a medium size should be fine. If they are too big or too small, you can't deliver an effective correction. For my large male with substantial coat around his head, I use 3.25 and got the 22in for him. I take links on and off depending on growth.

I don't like quick release prongs. The old school ones suit my purpose just as well. The newer types seem gimmicky to me.
Old 11-04-2012, 12:07 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

This was not a QR prong. I agree I absolutely do NOT like them

This was this new style of prong (forget the black stuff I was just looking at design where the plate for attaching the prong is located so that the prongs reverse in direction. I do have the problem right now though where if I take out another link it is too tight.....but it slides down a bit they way I have it. I would rather get it higher on the neck to deliver a more effective correction.

Herm Sprenger Black plated, Stainless Steel pinch collar-Elite K-9

vs this style which is what I have.

Herm Sprenger Prong Collar

Beau is not going to have a very thick coat though he is starting to develop a bit of a mane (ruff)

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 11-04-2012, 12:16 PM   #4 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I like that Elitek9 one! I like that it is 3.2. Don't see why the plates should be a big issue. I have seen a couple people use that one. They seem to like it and can deliver a nice correction with it.

I had a period where one link was the difference between too tight or too loose. I just waited it out till he grew bigger. It was on the tighter side for a period though. I only used it during 15min obedience sessions during that time though. He did not wear it for longer than that because I felt uncomfortable with the tightness of the collar so I tried to limit use during that period. Luckily his fat head grew quickly and I added a link
Old 11-04-2012, 12:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I do wish they would make a set of plates of varying sizes so you could custom size the collar....that design would allow you to do it because of the way the prong connects. I would run out and buy it if they did that!

I have a second prong collar so maybe I have one set tighter than I would like for obedience sessions and one set 1 link looser for routine walking where I may give a reminder pop if needed.

Old 11-04-2012, 06:14 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't use prongs anymore but when I did my trainer said to use the small size, they said they use the 'small' on most breeds unless they are very large or have very thick neck fur and then they use medium. They said the smaller size gives better feedback and distribution and it's also easier to get a good fit. If the collar is too small you can just buy extra links.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:22 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

My dogs have thicker coats and I use a heavier gauge prong. Karlo is 'in between' links....take one out and it is really tight, put one in and it is a bit loose and may creep down his neck. I tend to keep it tighter, but really don't like it that snug. It embeds in his coat. If I used the smaller links, he wouldn't feel it thru his coat.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:24 PM   #8 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I use a medium size prong on Smokey.
Zeeva is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I tend to use the smaller HS prongs for both my dogs while training.

I tend to fit them pretty snug and if I lift the coat while putting the prong on Stark (he has massive hair around his neck that is thick), I feel like it is a better fit. It doesn't do much good for the fur, but I figured the amount of time he actually wears it won't do too much damage.

For walks and such I tend to use the medium sized prong for him (all HS) and it is good, but like Karlo, he is in between links so one is too tight and the other too loose. I find the smaller linked prong fits better.

Zefra wears the smaller one all the time, but then again, she is 64lbs soaking wet.. lol.
Old 11-04-2012, 06:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Elite Member

Michael Ellis told us to use small. It gives better correction and you have more of them all the way around the neck. Even on my huge pit mastiff and the long hairs.

Sent from my iPhone using PG Free
Capone22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.