Prong size - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 PM   #21 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

Well, I tried the small and was impressed. On correction outed the ball with no argument or growling and no corrections needed for subsequent outs and I was not heavy handed.

It is apparently an off brand even though the prongs are rounded and seems a bit flimsy. The individual prongs are 1-1/8 inch long...so I think I am going to buy an HS since it is so much easier to hook with the metal plate.

I could snug it up more it rode higher on the neck and popped back after the correction (I think the tension on the chain) I am sold.

Now the different materials.......chrome steel vs stainless - any strength difference or do chrome just eventually rust? My current collars are years old and have no rust but I don't know what they are.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-05-2012, 01:55 PM   #22 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Chrome will usually rust after a while
blackshep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 01:50 AM   #23 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Also wanted to add, the smaller prongs seem like they may be more likely/easier to get pushed together which could result in them possibly opening up more easily. I used a quick-release collar so that I was not bending them to take the collar on/off so that it wasn't an issue (I had the collar fall off once before I switched to the quick release but never after.) Although I know some people say the quick release is not as secure I never had the quick release come apart. I always used a 'safety strap'/backup collar though if there was a chance that the collar coming apart could be a problem.
Chicagocanine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #24 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am def going to use a backup with this and get enough links to realize that they could be more prone to bend. But I am not doing bitework, so he won't intentionlly be all ramped up, and it seems I can get good results with a lighter correction.

I have had a QR come apart in the past. It seems to me that twisting and using the collar not like it was intended is where links are most likely to bend.

Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
Old 12-17-2012, 03:56 PM   #25 (permalink)

What is the appropriate age to start using a prong collar for walking? I have an 9 week old GSD and he already likes to take the lead. I don't want to have any negative effects with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
NDrugerGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-17-2012, 04:06 PM   #26 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you really take the time with it NOW while he is young you may not need it at all. But certainly I would completely avoid before a minimum 6 - 7 months. I am not going to try to repeat some of the very good avice on loose leash walking. ..there is probably already a sticky note on that. It helps to realize a walk is not to "go anywhere" at this age do don't get frutrated if all you do is go back and forth in a cul-de-sac.

Old 12-17-2012, 05:52 PM   #27 (permalink)

Yea I have been going around the house right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
NDrugerGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.