Singletrak or Approach?? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #11 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Upon discussing this same issue with a friend this afternoon on FB, I suddenly realized we had tried the Ruffwear Palisades. I did not investigate the Singletrack, as it's not really a backpacking pack. Just to clarify, heh.

http://redheadsrocketsandramblings.blogspot.com/
RocketDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-21-2012, 09:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I like the Approach too - it's plenty big for backpacking but it's not too big for several hour day hikes, which is what I use it for. Mostly what my dogs carry is water, and not just for them, for ME too! I have 1 liter and 1/2 liter Platypus bottles, but I usually put a 1 liter bottle in each side. I can also add a 1/2 liter to each side if necessary, but carrying two 1 liter bottles in each side might be too much, at least in Halo's size small.

There have been times when that was not enough water for us. There's a certain amount of waste when pouring water out for the dog, since they won't drink all of it, so I usually end up going through a whole bottle for the dog, and then they get some of mine too. When it's in 80s and 90s and we're doing a 6 or 7 mile hike, I have run out of water for me in favor of making sure that the dog has enough. Keefer in particular starts to fade when it's really hot, so whatever he doesn't drink I'll pour on him rather than dumping it out on the ground.

As Chicagocanine mentioned, Platypus bottles are much more compact that regular water bottles. They smash completely flat when empty and roll up to practically nothing. Plus, they're really flexible, so they conform to the shape of the pack much better than other types of bottles, and they're reusable too. Personally, I'd rather have too much water than too little when it's hot out, and the Singletrak just doesn't hold enough for me. It's also more expensive than the Approach.

I have the Palisades for Keefer, which is more pack than I really need, but red is his color! I don't like the water bladders either so I took them out and use Platypus bottles in his pack too. I fill the bottles 1/3-1/2 full and keep them in the freezer, and then fill them the rest of the way up right before I use them, so I have cold water for most of our hike.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #13 (permalink)
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Here's Halo in her Approach pack.

That was the end of the hike, so the water bottles were probably empty or close to it, so the pack is fairly flat against her side.
Cassidy's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2012, 01:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I have a Singletrak and a Palisades, I prefer smaller packs usually but i got the Palisades because I liked the fact that the saddlebags were removable and you could use the harness on it's own (so it was like getting a harness AND a backpack) and they didn't come out with the Singletrak until we'd already had the other one for a while... I rarely use the hydration system that comes with the Palisades, I use the Platy bottles more often instead.

Here's a photo of Bianca in her Palisades (size Medium IIRC):

Old 10-23-2012, 11:17 PM   #15 (permalink)
Elite Member

Can I just say, thank you all SO MUCH for such thoughtful and thorough responses. I am touched. I will keep you posted on which pack I go with. I am tempted by the Approach, but like the sleakness of the small one.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:39 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I LOVE my singletrak one!

I don't do any over night hikes or trips with it so it works for my needs.

I use it as my "purse" when out and about with the dogs so I don't have to carry anything and when we hike I let him carry water for the dogs.

Zefra will be getting one this year as well.

I think when they are exploring through the woods, it's a little easier with the singletrak one.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:13 AM   #17 (permalink)
Master Member

I have the single track and the approach pack - I couldn't make up my mind so I decided to get one of each the single track for the pup and the approach for the older dog

The single track is so neat, it fits really snug and has plenty of space for poop bags a few treats etc. and the flat bottles are great
I also like the orange colour it's a bit like blaze orange and makes the dogs easy to see
If you want it for just going for walks the single track is brilliant - the approach is great if you walk to the shops or something and the dog helps carry your groceries back

Edited to add picture of Hex in his Single Trak pack
Attached Thumbnails
Singletrak or Approach??-543401_10151263176022053_1148925751_n.jpg  

Last edited by Mooch; 10-25-2012 at 06:19 AM.
Mooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-19-2012, 12:08 AM   #18 (permalink)
Elite Member

Wanted to update you guys! The approach was on sale for 56 in the states, so I snatched one up in medium green. Will post pictures when they arrive!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #19 (permalink)
Elite Member

I LOVE THE APPROACH! Where has it been all my life. Pup isn't thrilled with it though. The first time I put it on, she pouted for a good 5 minutes. She absolutely does not mind when it's on, but doesn't seem too thrilled when I am about to put it on. Any tips?
Old 01-10-2013, 11:21 PM   #20 (permalink)
Crowned Member

No help here, frags the same way. Loves wearing it, hates putting it on, despite much desensitization.
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
DJEtzel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.