Food Storage - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Food Storage

I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but...

Where do you guys store your dog food? Specifically for those who have multiple dogs, with multiple kinds of dog food. We just went to the store to pick out food for our new puppy and I had the best intention to buy a small bag (it is a small dog.) But I am a sucker for a deal. How can I buy 6lbs for $10 when 35lb is $33? Anyway, now, I have 35lbs of 3 different kinds of dog food! I have 1 container that holds Dakota's food and a bunch of smaller containers for Ditto and Daisy's food. Now, the puppy's food is in small containers too! So that is 9 smaller containers! It works but it is an eyesore.

Always loved, missed, and remembered:
Dakota GSD mix 3/26/04-5/04/14
vicky2200 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2012, 09:53 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicky2200 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the right section for this but...

Where do you guys store your dog food? Specifically for those who have multiple dogs, with multiple kinds of dog food. We just went to the store to pick out food for our new puppy and I had the best intention to buy a small bag (it is a small dog.) But I am a sucker for a deal. How can I buy 6lbs for $10 when 35lb is $33? Anyway, now, I have 35lbs of 3 different kinds of dog food! I have 1 container that holds Dakota's food and a bunch of smaller containers for Ditto and Daisy's food. Now, the puppy's food is in small containers too! So that is 9 smaller containers! It works but it is an eyesore.
My dad uses plastic storage bins from walmart.. the color ones so you can't see what is inside it. He just leaves it in the closet. Me I have a roller clear one i got at petsmart, I only have the one dog for now so it does fine.
I hope others can help you more than I.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

When I fed kibble, I stored it in the bag it came in/inside my chest freezer. I use to serve it right out of the freezer no problem. But that was only while I transitioned to raw...so a bags worth. I had just gotten the freezer for raw, and just kept the kibble there out of convenience.
I store my cats kibble in the bag it comes in in a pet container/locking top on wheels. I keep it in an area with little humidity or heat/cold extreme change.
I wouldn't store food in any plastic that isn't a food safe container, and some plastic can make kibble go bad if it is loose in the container. It is best to leave it in the bag(they make bags to keep kibble freshest) and it is always good to have lot#'s and dates in case there is a recall or if your pet becomes ill. http://www.dog-nutrition-advice.com/...d-storage.html

Last edited by onyx'girl; 02-22-2012 at 09:57 PM. Reason: add link
onyx'girl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

The kibble I use has a resealable bag so I just leave it in the bag. When I used other foods, I used a Soft-Stor container, but I put the original bag inside that container so the food was still in its original packaging.
If you take the food out I'd be sure to save the packaging just in case anything happens, and also make sure you wash the container well especially if it's plastic as plastic could absorb odors and fats from the food.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:52 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I also use a plastic storage bin from Wal Mart. (not one of the huge ones.) I do however leave the kibble in the bag it came in. I put the whole bag in the storage bin. The bin I have easily holds a 30lb bag with room to spare. So with something like this, you would only need 3 storage containers. Not 9. You could also get the bigger bin, and put more than one 30+lb bad per bin.

Or if you buy 15 lb bags, 2 bags would fit in one of the smaller bins.

This is the one and size I have:

http://www.Sterilite.com/SelectProdu...=181&section=1

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.

Last edited by BlackGSD; 02-22-2012 at 11:00 PM.
BlackGSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 10:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

I go to Costco and buy the big bins of Deli Cat. I feed it to the local feral cats. Then I reuse the bins, they are perfect for storing dog food and stacking. Each one holds about 20 lbs of dog food (maybe a bit more).

Or if you want you can get the 5 gallon paint pails from home depot or lowes and buy the lid to go with it. They hold a bunch of food, too.

www.coppercreekdvg.com- All Breed Schutzhund Club

Home of Umarek von Hugelblick, my good luck charm!
bocron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 10:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Plastic airtight containers from the feed store.

At the Bridge:
Cash van der Animal Shelter 2006-2010
Emoore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:05 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bocron View Post
I go to Costco and buy the big bins of Deli Cat. I feed it to the local feral cats. Then I reuse the bins, they are perfect for storing dog food and stacking. Each one holds about 20 lbs of dog food (maybe a bit more).

That's funny, one of my cats came with a half-full container of that (her previous owners fed it, we switched her to grain-free) and my brother still has the container like 6-8 years later (even though he now lives in another state) because it's so useful! He uses it for storing stuff in the garage.
I'm not sure if I'd reuse it for too long as a pet food container though.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I also use a bin I got at the feed store and put the food bag right in so the kibble isn't in contact with the plastic. The food I use doesn't have preservatives so I buy the size bag my dog can eat in a month. The bigger bag price might be tempting but I'd rather spend a few dollars more to have fresh food each month.
Stosh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2012, 11:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Banned

VITTLE VAULTS!!
Nothing but.
We tried all the others and they were not truly airtight, as a result we got rodents.

We still do but they can't get in and we don't have waste now.
Gamma Vittles Vault - Dog Food Storage Bins and Dog Food Storage Containers from petco.com

They are pricey but the last one you'll ever buy or need.
msvette2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.