ThunderShirt Review - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #1 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Default ThunderShirt Review

I bought a ThunderShirt for Jazz because he is TERRIFIED of Thunder and fireworks. We had a storm a couple of weeks ago so I put on the shirt but unfortunately it did nothing to help him. I was quite disappointed because it's very stressful for him and I had heard some good things about the shirt.

Should I bother trying it again to see if it helps? The reason I ask is that there is a Shiloh Shepherd in rescue who is also terrified of thunder and someone has asked for a donated ThunderShirt for him. If there's no chance of mine working for Jazz then I'll gladly donate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2011, 03:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I am sorry to hear that it didn't work for you. This is the first negative review I've heard. Did you put on the Thundershirt before or after the storm started? Some dogs, once they get freaked out, stay freaked out no matter what you do. If you can manage to get anxiety treatment BEFORE the animal starts getting freaked, results are usually much better. Unfortunately you don't always know when anxiety is going to strike.

I do believe that Thundershirt will refund your money if their product does not work. What size is it?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 03:14 PM   #3 (permalink)
Knighted Member

I put it on as soon as I saw the flash outside but no thunder had occurred yet that I could hear. He also had his back to the window so he didn't appear to see the flash. He did not look stressed when I put it on. The thunder (that I could hear) occurred a few minutes later and then his anxiety quickly escalated. He was sitting down leaning against the bed and I could feel the whole bed shaking.

If it takes a few tries before people see results then I'll keep it but if it's not going to work then I'd love to donate it to this other Shiloh who might be able to get some use out of it. It's an XL
Old 08-09-2011, 03:17 PM   #4 (permalink)

Was it wrapped tight enough? I've been told that the shirt should be worn at various times and not just when there is something scary going on.

It's up to you if you want to give it another try or donate it. I probably wouldn't be ready to give up after one try.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 03:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post
Was it wrapped tight enough? I've been told that the shirt should be worn at various times and not just when there is something scary going on.

It's up to you if you want to give it another try or donate it. I probably wouldn't be ready to give up after one try.
I wondered about the tightness too so I went back and wrapped it tighter. It seemed pretty tight to me. I did put it on him a few times prior to the storm so that he had exposure and experience to it. He didn't seem to care about it.

I just checked the forecast and thundershowers are forcasted for 3 days this week so I'll give it another try and if it doesn't work then I'll donate it. I'll try to get it on when it looks stormy outside but nothing has occurred yet.

Thanks for tips
Old 08-09-2011, 03:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsdraven View Post

I agree you ought to try again before giving up. Is it possible the shirt wasn't tight enough? The shirt should be very snug, as it's supposedly the firm pressure that reduces anxiety. Did you measure your dog to ensure the correct size?
Freestep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 03:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestep View Post
I agree you ought to try again before giving up. Is it possible the shirt wasn't tight enough? The shirt should be very snug, as it's supposedly the firm pressure that reduces anxiety. Did you measure your dog to ensure the correct size?
Yes, I measured him and he was within the XL sizing. I'll try it again and make sure I have it very snug and see how he does. Perhaps I need to go tighter than I did. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-09-2011, 03:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Member

Oh i love my thundershirt! but it doesnt work for zero unless its tight. Its not a complete problem fixer but it deff calms him down enough to listen.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Maybe you could post a picture of him wearing it. That way someone can tell you if it looks tight enough?
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ Chasing your tail gets you nowhere ... 'cept back to where you started ~
http://www.youtube.com/GSDGunner
GSDGunner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2011, 03:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDGunner View Post
Maybe you could post a picture of him wearing it. That way someone can tell you if it looks tight enough?
That's a great idea! I took a pic during the storm night so when I get home I'll upload.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.