Rubber mulch for play area? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #11 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
I bought a product that I am really liking myself. It is cypress playground chips. For a flat play area. It dries quickly and does not hold moisture nearly as much as shredded mulch) My dogs RUN over it multiple times a day when I play fetch. It is about $35 a yard and I bought 10 yards for a 1000 SF area. I have heard the rubber can get really hot.

This is not a dog pen where the dogs are housed but it is doing a marvelous job at keeping mud OUT OF MY HOUSE.
Thanks for this! In fact, I just found something similar here: Friendly Stone mulch For Dogs

Quote:
Also, we run our dogs on a field of loam and cedar mulch at a agility field I go to...Never had a cut paw, in fact, it is ideal running turf...
I actually was searching around to see if mulch was acceptable for agility surfaces, and that's when I found this thread. The rubber would cost around $1139 while cedar mulch @ $29/ cubic yard would be only $641. It's nice to know others have had success with mulch.

That said- the rubber is guaranteed for life. Jocoyn- how often do you have to replace the mulch?

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
wildo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 03:16 PM   #12 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

I just got it a few weeks ...So I don't know but cypress is one of the longer lasting materials so time will tell. Ecologically the rubber mulch may be a win in that it is recycling a landfill material.

we went back and forth as pea gravel was another option but it is very heavy and if you are "done with it" you have a major mess to clean up where mulch just kind of composts.

I think your calculation of $641 is low. You are basing it on a 2inch thickness. I would go 4 inches for sure because a running dog can kick up a lot and with 4 inches my dirt does not get exposed after a play session and I have to rake once a week to tidy.

Unless you have a solid surface dirt, and leaves, etc WILL get into the gravel, mulch, rubber stuff etc and cleaning is a challenge. Just the nature of the beast I think. The rubber is intriguing.....perhaps a future consideration.......But I really had heard that it gets hot and sticky in the summertime and we have a lot of that.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #13 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Good information. Man, if I need to put in 4" of the mulch- I'm already at the price of the rubber. Of course the rubber doesn't take into account the 4" of compacted stone recommended as a base. The heat shouldn't be too big of a deal since my backyard is almost entirely shade. The rubber would almost never see direct sunlight. Hmm... choices. I do agree the mulch seems like the best way to go in the short term- but if I have to pay that much $$$ every two or three years- then the rubber might just pay for itself on the first iteration.

C-ATCH Pimg - DOB: 2/06, UJJ (x2), HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
High Jinks vom Neuanfang - DOB 9/12 (Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013) agility superstar in training
Old 03-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #14 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoeys mom View Post
We took the pea gravel route for our 2 who had destroyed our grass and created a swamp. It's been 2 years now almost and so far so good. We have no mud, picking up poo is easy, and it doesn't seem to hurt their feets. The size of the stone is tiny enough to pass if eaten but big enough to make accidental eating unlikely. Probably wouldn't train on it but just to run out and potty type area works well
That is what we were thinking for our backyard mud pit. We have given up on growing grass and were thinking of alternatives. Glad to hear that it is a viable solution!!! My biggest concern is the resale value of our house. We are hoping to move in 3 years, and don't know how many people want a gravel back yard!

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy

Last edited by jprice103; 03-08-2012 at 03:45 PM.
jprice103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 04:06 PM   #15 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildo View Post
Whiteshepherds- did you ever follow through on the rubber stuff? I've been considering the equestrian version of the product- similar to this: SureFoot Arena Rubber Mulch for a small (3648 sqft) agility area in my back mud- errr.. yard.
The samples we got had tiny pieces of wire in them and that was the playground grade.
Whiteshepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 04:16 PM   #16 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Wow- that's surprising!! I have no idea what route I'm going to go at this point, but I'll be sure to request a sample before I make any move! I know the one I linked to did say this on their FAQ page:

Quote:
Is there any steel content in Surefoot?

No. Surefoot 1/2 inch chips are smaller than most others. The smaller the chips, the less likely they are to contain embedded steel wire. To ensure that all wire is removed, Surefoot chips pass through 4 unique, state of the art magnets during the manufacturing process. This extra attention literally ensures no steel content. In fact, Surefoot is guaranteed to be 99.9% steel-free.
[EDIT]- Yes, I did catch their grammatical mistake. "...literally ensures no steel content- acceptable to be .1% steel."

Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM   #17 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I would not do rubber for a personal area. They will chew on it, they can't guarantee that there isn't other materials than rubber in it. Rubber mulch works good in horse arena's but they dont' get a chance to try and eat it. If your dogs chew on rubber kongs, it's a good chance they could take a liking to the rubber mulch.

Forever loved and missed.....Banshee

~The strength of one's opinion should not exceed their knowledge on the matter~
Jax08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #18 (permalink)
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you are going to put down gravel you probably want to put down a layer of crusher run under the gravel.

Beau -NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog
Waiting at the Bridge (italics=GSDs) (hemangiosarcoma=blue):Grim , Cyra, Toby, Rainbow, Linus, Oscar, Arlo & Waggles
jocoyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #19 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Jax08- do you have documentation of that? I'd like to think that a shredded tire (even treated) looks/smells/tastes a lot different than really any rubber-like chew toy. I mean- sure, it could happen. But I just can't imagine any dog running on a rubber surface scooping up loads of rubber shavings as they run along... Like I said- not saying you're wrong- just saying it doesn't seem reasonable to me. BTW- did you recently add your signature? Oddly, I don't recall seeing it before.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #20 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocoyn View Post
If you are going to put down gravel you probably want to put down a layer of crusher run under the gravel.
What is crusher run?

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
jprice103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.