Collar recommendation - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-02-2011, 12:10 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Collar recommendation

I'm sorry to post this since I know it's been discussed but I'm getting more confused. Here's what I have: well first a 12 month old pup He's a puller but not when he's on a good correction prong collar. After reading all the forums I bought a Herm Sprenger Neck Tech 24". For walking around the block..not bad, for walking along the Chicago Lake with geese and birds....awful! He can pull. Almost felt useless, never had that with his prong. Reason for the Herm you might ask, someone scolded us on the street about his prong....so rude but nevertheless, I thought I'd avoid that situation by buying Hunter a nice inconspicuous collar. Which I didn't mind the price if it last forever and solves the problem, I appreciate great quality like the HS. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a not so obvious prong type collar and preferably something that won't fall apart, I was quick to switch because I know prongs may do this. Thanks!
mjrlepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2011, 12:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

24" seems awfully big. Is the neck-tech prong fitted properly?

ETA: You could always go back to the regular prong and purchase a cover for it. Pikoda (check our vendor section for her thread) makes some nice ones that make it look like a regular collar. I've also used a bandana before when at a public function to help hide the prong.

Raven (GSD) - December 8, 2007
Kaiser (GSD) - November 2009
Holly (GSD) - March 24, 2011
Best Paw Forward
Champ's Fund
gsdraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

we had to take out a few prongs off of the Neck Tech, it's well fitted but maybe his fur keeps him from feeling the pinch. I never thought of a cover or bandana, great idea I have to say. I will check it out. Now I have this fancy gadget though, maybe when he matures a little he won't be such a puller.
mjrlepo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Chowgal Send a message via Yahoo to Chowgal

I agree with a cover or a bandana!
Todd (Pom)

Often joined by:
Max(yorkie)
Li'l Bit(chi)
Snooki(pit/schnauzer X)

Always in my heart:
Cinder(chow):93-95
Dusty(pom):98-01
Tippsy(chow):00-11
Chowgal is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 01:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lin
Knighted Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

Ditto, I made a prong cover for my prong. If you can sew they're really easy to make!
Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Elite Member

No collar substitutes for training. Dogs can (and do!) learn to pull through the prong, and any other collar. Personally, I'd work on training for attention and no pulling with smaller distractions, then gradually work up to the larger distractions (like the geese at the lake).
Rott-n-GSDs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 10:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rott-n-GSDs View Post
No collar substitutes for training. Dogs can (and do!) learn to pull through the prong, and any other collar. Personally, I'd work on training for attention and no pulling with smaller distractions, then gradually work up to the larger distractions (like the geese at the lake).
Not only that but I wouldn't change my choice of collar based on someone else's rudeness. Tell to go play in the geese sh!+
PaddyD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-03-2011, 03:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I don't use training collars anymore, just the Gentle Leader in certain situations. However it is very easy to make or buy a prong cover. If you look at Petsmart/Petco they sometimes have collar covers. They are made for regular collars, but the larger ones will fit a prong collar too (especially if you have the smaller sizes of prongs). I found a bunch of covers in the clearance section at Petco once. If you can sew at all or know anyone who can, it's also very easy to make, you just need a tube of lightweight material.
Old 03-04-2011, 01:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

dont like prongs i like maintaining trust through calm leadership try it with your prong .some people are frustrated and end up over correcting harming the trust. and harming the relationship inevitably.
plusdoegsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 01:35 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rott-n-GSDs View Post

Im with you.
Collars don't mean a thing unless you get with a trainer to learn how to use properly. I say get with a trainer to help you with this. Best money you will spend.

Every dog is different and depending on your dog you may have to use a pinch, choke, etc. I have a W/L 7 month old pup where I have to use a choke on him do to hsi super high drive. Use what works and get someone to to show you how to use correctly.
Ace952 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.