Build Your Dream Doghouse...What's it Like? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master Member

Default Build Your Dream Doghouse...What's it Like?

If you were making a house for your dog what all would you include? Insulation, windows, type of roofing, siding, overhang? , porch, electric, ?.....Size? Door size? door treatment.....
What would you NOT do? and why?
This is a house for a 95 pound male shepherd in Canada so VERY cold!!!!
Keep this in mind when offering suggestions.
What ,materials would you use?
Any photos of yours?

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Crookedcreekranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2009, 11:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Crowned Member

Default Re: Build Your Dream Doghouse...What's it Like?

What I would not do is build a dog house LOL. I'd love to have one of those cute handmade ones that match the big house. *BUT* my dad built a really nice dog house years ago. It had his and hers sides for our Prince and Princess (that was really their names, brother and sister pair, she died before I was born). 4 dogs, none of them ever used it. We kids loved it as a playhouse, that was the only time the dogs were in there, to check out what we were doing then they left to go lay under the pool deck. They all loved the pool deck. Maybe it was the dirt floor.

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
SunCzarina is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 11:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
Crowned Member

What would I do? A two bedroom, 2 bath log house in the woods, complete with kitchen, AC and heat.

What would I not do? Build an outside dog house - but I am sure you will find many who disagree with me.

For me - there is no reason to have a dog if it doesn't live where I do.

Not a judgement - my honest 2 cents worth.

- http://www.DOGTORS.com
- http://www.k9kollegeohio.com

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
Skye'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 11:19 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master Member

I knew after I submitted this I should have qualified.....this dog is INSIDE 90 percent of the time and the man takes him in his truck to his worksite everyday.

He asked about this best way to have a house for him on "the rare occasion" he will be not in the house and has him in a kennel run outdoors. It is important to have a safe haven /run for your dog outside as well I believe.

I know some of us have dogs 100 percent of the time indoors but I do both.....sometimes a dog IS outside and I want a nice place for them to be. Quite frankly I enjoy hanging out with my dog on his/her porch of the dog house it's fun! Call me weird but I enjoy it

My dogs LOVE underneath the pool deck as well....it IS the nice cool shady den like quality AND the dirt floor. We had to fence around it after 1 of the dogs was bitten by a brown recluse spider underneath it! YIKES! very nasty bite.

"Wonderful companions with the potential for so much more."
Crookedcreekranch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 11:31 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I like these ones:
http://www.ashcustomwood.com/

True is, nothing fancy, I don't think I would put flowers at the window of one, not if they would survive a week. I prefer a flat roof, so the dog can jump and lay over the top if they want. I've always thought Snoopy may have really bad back problems. Two important things: separation from the "bedroom" and the entrance, and styrofoam insulation. I'm not sure if the ones of the link have that one.

Here you have plans for building a dog house in Canada weather
http://tidewaterkc.org/projects/insulated_dog_house.htm
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2009, 11:53 PM   #6 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I agree with Crooked creek, I love my dogs and take them everywhere but when they are outside and I"m going away they go in the kennel were they are safe and can get out of the wether yet still enjoy the great outdoors.
My dog house consist on a entrance in the wall of the garage, the actual dog houses are located under the workbench. They have a raised floor with a heat cable on the underside, it's the type used to melt the snow off the roof so your evetroughs don't freeze up.
It keeps the floor at a warm temp and also causes radiant heat in the whole house so they are warm. Add the straw and they are as snug as can be.
Seeing how I do live in Canada I wouldn't go without the heated floor and insulated walls. I want to know if I'm delayed by bad weather the dogs will be safe and warm.
As for the flat roof, if your friend is in an area with a large snow load then a slanted roof is what you want. A flat roof could collapse.
Some thing also to consider is a baffle, you want the entrance on one end leading to an inner entrance going to the sleeping quarter on the other end. This will prevent the wind from blowing in cold air and snow and keep the house snug. Also reducing the cost to heat it.
I beleive the houses in the first link that LicanAntai gave you have a baffle.
Hope this helps.
Waiting at the bridge;Palla,Tucker,Chance, Brandy and Lacy. I'll miss you to the end of eternity, and love you twice as long.
Crabtree is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:22 AM   #7 (permalink)
Elite Member

I have the plans for the houses LicanAntai linked. I've been meaning to build one for about 2 years but never got around to it. When it gets below 40 the dogs really don't spend any time in their kennels so it hasn't been a priority. I am not going to do the fancy siding, flower box, or roof shingles. The roof will be flat so the dogs can lay on it and also because I can't get Home Depot to cut wood at an angle for me! I don't have to worry about huge amounts of snow so it'd be fine for me at least.

But maybe this year I will get around to it. There will be styrofoam insulation, it will be raised off the ground, and there will be a divider between the entrance and the sleeping area.
You could get heating pads that plug into an outlet, but my kennels are pretty far from the house and I have a feeling the cord would get chewed up! So it wouldn't be safe for me.

Kira von Wolfstraum HGH
PAM ARCH SG Kessy vom Waldwinkel 2xHGH Schh1 OB2 RL1X RL3 RN TT AD
Djenga von Castra Regina RL2 BH HIC TT
Madina vom Arolser Holz BH AD CGC
The JRT's: ARCHX Gizmo TT RL1X RL2X RL3 & Cricket RL2
phgsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:31 AM   #8 (permalink)
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I was going to say everything that crabby already said!

If the dog is going to be mostly an inside dog, he won't grow in as much of a winter coat as a dog kept strictly outside.

Some things that should be considered: a peaked roof to prevent snow accumulation.

Heating.

and a baffle entrance - like an igloo tunnel entrance.

Keep the size of the dog house to as small as comfortable, keep the ceiling low - a bigger dog house will be harder to heat, and with a high ceiling, the heat will rise up over top to where the dog is, and the floor area will be cold. I really like crabby's idea of heating the floor. Then of course, you need fire-proof floor, and fire resistant bedding.

Also, I would include a heated water bowl to keep the water from freezing.

So I know that if money was no object, they would like to build a palatial, roomy dog house with lots of windows for a nice open feeling, but for winter conditions, a smaller, low-ceiling, closed-in dog house would actually work better.

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? Shelter rescue
Gryffon Vom Wildhaus BH
Castlemaid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:47 AM   #9 (permalink)
Crowned Member

This is a photo of a 4 x 8 foot shelter:

This one currently has a dog house inside and a cot. The shelter is a raised platform with a roof and enclosed on three sides. I can put extra straw in it in the winter, It shelters the appropriately sized house for the dog, which allows the dog to use its own heat to keep itself warm.

The dogs also jump on top of these and lie in the sun. In fact they LOVE to be up on top of them.

The cot provides a place out of the rain to sleep. I have the cedar dog house as well in there.
Ninja, RN CGC & Milla, RN CGC
Joy, Star Puppy, RN CGC
Dolly CGC & Bear CGC
Gretta
Hepzibah & Hannah
selzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-08-2009, 12:51 AM   #10 (permalink)
Crowned Member

I tought of a flat roof because I'd put the house in a roofed area anyways, I'd not leave it in the middle of the yard or dog run, for me a kennel has to always have at least part of it roofed.
Catu's Pack
Catu is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.