8 Week puppy ears (Already standing up) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2008, 05:18 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 8 Week puppy ears (Already standing up)

Hello all!!

I have my first German Shep Puppy, and I'm just wondering if it's normal that her ears are already standing up and firm. My Vet said that her ears shouldn't be like that yet, not that young, and it's possible that she's not a pure bred.

Is this ok, or is my puppy that was purchased as a pure bred, not really a PB... rather a mix?
DaGreyBush27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-14-2008, 05:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Elite Member

Default Re: 8 Week puppy ears (Already standing up)

its possible that they can stand up that early. i wouldnt expect them to stand up permanently yet tho. they will be up and down for a while as they are teething, matureing, etc etc

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

http://mintcityk9training.yolasite.com/
lcht2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

My puppy has had both ears up since nine weeks. She is definitely 100% German Shepherd Dog.

She is only four months old and not through the whole teething thing yet so I don't know what her ears are going to do over the next few months.
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 05:25 PM   #4 (permalink)
Crowned Member

They can be up at 8 weeks--my dog's were. But then they were down again at 12 weeks!

"Normal" for ears with this breed is up and down, some times one or the other, sometimes making a silly teepee on top of the head--you name it--until age 5 months. At that age, if they are not consistently up, then you might think about using a glue or tape method to help brace them for a few weeks. That's also normal, especially with some American showline dogs.

Post a picture. We can probably tell if she's a mix just by looking.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y18...shepherd_4.gif Luca says, "Arf!"
tracyc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 05:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Crowned Member

interesting that your vet would suggest she isnt purebred. any breed with erect ears starts off with drop ears and they can begin standing anywhere from 6weeks that ive seen. its rarely a permanent stand (like the teething issue mentioned above), but its definitely okay that her ears are standing.

i'd say its not okay if you purchased a "purebred" and it turns out she isnt. that would be between you and the breeder tho (if you saw the parents, the litter, if she's papered, etc)
Old 04-14-2008, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

Sounds good. I will post a pic of her when I get home and see what you all think!!

Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Camerafodderinteresting that your vet would suggest she isnt purebred. any breed with erect ears starts off with drop ears and they can begin standing anywhere from 6weeks that ive seen. its rarely a permanent stand (like the teething issue mentioned above), but its definitely okay that her ears are standing.

i'd say its not okay if you purchased a "purebred" and it turns out she isnt. that would be between you and the breeder tho (if you saw the parents, the litter, if she's papered, etc)
Well, the rest of the litter was with this one, and I saw the Mother and the Father on site. It was a big litter, around 11 pup's. 4 of them looks like my little baby, the others were a different color with folded ears. Both of the parents though were 100% PB GSD.
Old 04-14-2008, 05:55 PM   #8 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: DaGreyBush27
Quote:
Originally Posted By: Camerafodderinteresting that your vet would suggest she isnt purebred. any breed with erect ears starts off with drop ears and they can begin standing anywhere from 6weeks that ive seen. its rarely a permanent stand (like the teething issue mentioned above), but its definitely okay that her ears are standing.

Well, the rest of the litter was with this one, and I saw the Mother and the Father on site. It was a big litter, around 11 pup's. 4 of them looks like my little baby, the others were a different color with folded ears. Both of the parents though were 100% PB GSD.
IMO ignore the vet!! if her parents are without a doubt 100% purebread then why is there any question? unless some wild stray happened to mate with the female right after "daddy" did then i dont think u should have anything to worry about..

"ok, go get your crack head"
tyson v. newbury- PSA PDC

"h*ll on wheels"
lucia v. logan haus - ruler of the world

http://mintcityk9training.yolasite.com/
lcht2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2008, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Helly

Mine is 8 weeks old tomorrow and his ears are almost all the way up...(good to know its normal for them to go back down during teething)
Old 04-14-2008, 07:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Master Member

Send a message via AIM to Phazewolf Send a message via Yahoo to Phazewolf

When I got Shadow at 8 weeks her ears were up and they never went down.
Phazewolf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.