6 months, both ears up but soft ear? - Page 2 - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #11 (permalink)
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella's Mom View Post
I wish my kitty's loved my puppy like yours seems to. One of my cats was very attached to my old GSD that died this past December. He has not taken to my 7 week old even though I have had her for 3 weeks now.
You've had your puppy since he/she was 4 weeks old?? Was it a rescue?

Cheyenne von der Price-Sable GSD-12/20/10-CGC
Faegan vom Johnson-Haus "Panzer"-Black GSD-12/31/11-S.T.A.R. Puppy
jprice103 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #12 (permalink)

Leo's ears were soft for a very long time. I had them glued and taped starting at 5 months for about two months with short breaks in between. At about 8 months, one ear was up and the other would stay up most of the time, stand in a wobbly way but flop completely when he was relaxed. That's when I got truly concerned!!! Then his breeder said I should shave that ear. IT WORKED. At that stage, more gluing and taping was counterproductive because it was adding weight and I needed to let the ear "learn" to support itself. I didn't believe that would make such a huge difference but that's all the ear needed. I shaved the ear whenever I saw a thin layer of fur grow back. Did it continuously for 3 months. I highly recommend giving it a try!
shehulk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Can someone tell me if my dog looks 8 months? she seems to be quite small but wasn't sure, her ears haven't perked either so I'm not quite sure if they are going to or not..
cobhc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-15-2011, 11:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Can someone tell me if my dog looks 8 months? she seems to be quite small but wasn't sure, her ears haven't perked either so I'm not quite sure if they are going to or not.. thanks
cobhc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:36 AM   #15 (permalink)

Default One ear down at 7 months

Will his ear ever go up. I think it went down due to an "irritated ear" the vet called it. Not quite an infection. She said it may go up when it feels better. It is up sometimes but not very often. Mostly down.
Attached Thumbnails
6 months, both ears up but soft ear?-img_2140.jpg   6 months, both ears up but soft ear?-img_2131.jpg  

Last edited by Kelcraw; 01-17-2013 at 08:43 AM. Reason: Added another picture
Kelcraw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #16 (permalink)

Default 6 months, both ears up but soft ear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelcraw View Post
Will his ear ever go up. I think it went down due to an "irritated ear" the vet called it. Not quite an infection. She said it may go up when it feels better. It is up sometimes but not very often. Mostly down.
You might want to glue it or tape while you still have time. The longer you wait the harder it is to correct it. Check with your vet first, because if its irritated and not infected you don't want to irritate it any more. I've learned that moleskin padding works best, last the longest, and doesn't bother the dog at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Petguide.com Free App
VanBuren shepherds is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 12:37 PM   #17 (permalink)
bob

what is better, Ear Inserts, or 1/2" pipe insulation?
bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 01:40 PM   #18 (permalink)

Pipe insulation can begin to break down and doesn't last as long in the ears. I have tried every way possible and the best I've found is the moleskin padding with adhesive backing cut to fit inside the ear. A thin layer of Torbot skin bond added to the sticky side and allowed to sit for about one minute before applying it to the ear. You will need an assistant to hold the ear open for you while you place the insert. I then place two large nasal strips over the moleskin vertically where the ear is the weakest. It allows for full range of motion of the ear and last for weeks. Here is an article I wrote that might help you decide.
http://texasworkingshepherds.com/german-shepherd-ears/

Old 01-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Hello. Can someone tell me what if anything I can/should do to help my puppy's ears stand up? If you look at my avatar, that is how his ears look. The left ear is the one that can't seem to stand straight. When I bought him at 4 months of age, his left ear was completely floppy. It has gone up to where it is now, but for some reason cannot fully stand erect. It is always crooked. I have recently purchased Clovite, since someone posted it on these forums that it worked for his dog, and calcium tabs to help with cartilige. He has started the Clovite supplement, but not the calcium tabs. He just turned 6 months old, and he is AKC. Will his ears stay crooked permanently? After trying the Tear Mender glue his left ear finally went up, but has remained crooked. Should I glue them again? Or let them grow on their own? One of the things that attracted me to German Shepherd breed is their beautiful ears. It gives them an unbelieveable look. This is my first GSD, and I love him. But I would love it if his ears were full erect and straight. Can anyone please advise me either here or email: jzoom45@yahoo.com Thanks!
jzoom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2013, 06:42 PM   #20 (permalink)

His ears are up in the avatar. I would leave them alone for now and let them straighten out. I would only tape or glue if they are in the flying nun position or just flopped over.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.