BreatheRight Strips for ears - German Shepherd Dog Forums

Increase font size: 0, 10, 25, 50%

GermanShepherds.com is the premier German Shepherd Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2007, 09:37 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default BreatheRight Strips for ears

We can't deny that GSD ears are what makes them look so regal. Most GSD owners love those ears up and stress out when they don't come up. I know I did. My puppy is now 10 months old. I tried taping, gluing and Tear Mender and none of them worked. All the literature I read made me believe that it was too late b/c of his age. I didin't give up. When he was 8.5 months I began gluing two strips of BreathRight Strips in a narrow X formation inside his ear close to the outside edge and just above the hump on the bottom of his ear.. I used Skin Bond. When it came out I would do it again. No one really noticed it since I used the tan colored ones. I went through a few boxes. When the strips fell out I would wait to see how long the ear would stand. Usually a few hours at the most. It has now been 4 days and his ear has not fallen. It doesn't look like it will either. His ears are slightly soft so when he runs that ear wobbles but it stays up now. Even if his ear never came up I would definitey use the strips. We like the ears up and this is definitely a great alternative to implants or down ears.
savapet2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2007, 01:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: BreatheRight Strips for ears

i tried this, but, the strips only stayed in for a second! they popped right out as soon as he ran around. am i doing it wrong?
BoyMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-02-2007, 09:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

Only the skin bond will work. You need to have everything ready. Have someone help you at first. Put a small amount on the inside of ear where you will put the strip. Put some on the strip as well. Put the first one in vertical just above the bottom part that humps out a bit. Hold the strip to the glue in the ear for about 1 minute. Then do it again with another strip making an X. Except make it a very narrow X so that it is slightly on top of the other strip. This will give it more strength to hold the ear and both strips. Be sure to put glue on the ear and strip when you do second piece. Hold again for one minute. Give him something to do so that he doesn't shake his head too much. The strips will usually stay in for a 4-5 days. I went through a few boxes before it finally stood on its own. If you use the tan ones they are not very noticeable inside the ear. No one noticed them when we went out for walks. Let me know how it goes.
Old 03-03-2007, 01:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

i just ordered the skin bond thursday so hopefully i'll get it by monday. i was also thinking about maybe using the insulation tubing with the skin bond. have you heard about that?
thanks for the info.
Old 03-03-2007, 08:05 PM   #5 (permalink)

No haven't heard of that one. I tried the tp roll and that didn't work. Also tried sponge hair rollers. Seems the strips worked the best and did the job. One day I will show b4 and after pics. It gets easier after you do it the first time. Use the glue thinly on ear amd strip so as not to get too much outside of the strip when you hold it in place. Let me know how it goes.
Old 03-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

will do! thanks for the help...my poor boy's ears need it!
Old 03-04-2007, 09:52 AM   #7 (permalink)

How old is your boy?
Old 03-04-2007, 11:24 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wonder if it would be safe to use the TearMender with the strips???????? Can't seem to locate skin bond.
Annemarie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2007, 04:30 PM   #9 (permalink)

maximus just turned 7 mos yesterday. i bought the breathe right strips today and was wondering the same thing about the tearmender glue and strips...i haven't gotten my skin bond yet.
Old 03-04-2007, 05:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

OMG!!! I just tried the tearmender and the breathe right strips and his ears are up and beautiful! Maximus looks soooooo handsome...I can't stop staring at his ears up and not flopping!!! Thanks so much Tranquility!!! I did have to use 3 of them on one ear b/c I didn't get the crease all the way...it was kind of billowing in a little bit (if that makes sense). But, I think 3 is ok, right?

Annemarie, the tearmender seems to be holding them just fine. I guess I'll just have to expect some ear hair to come out with the strips...whenever they fall out. I think Tranquility said 4-5 days...

I'm so amazed at how gorgeous he looks with his ears up!! I hope this works!!! Thanks so much again!!! I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.